Racor Lube Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racor, the filter company, has a line of additives. Most are for fuel, but they have one each for lube oil and for coolant.

Here's the info from the Lube Oil Treatment MSDS:
"TRADE NAME: RACOR LUBE OIL TREATMENT
DESCRIPTION: Lube oil additive containing zinc salt of dialkyl dithiophosphoric acid, borated
polyisobutenyl succinic anhydride nitrogen functionalized dispersant, magnesium and calcium alkylaryl detergents, solvent extracted mineral oil, alkyl amine and other components in a petroleum lubricating base stock,...."

I recognize the ZDTP...what will the other stuff do? They don't give amounts except
Why add more ZDTP? Isn't there the correct amount in all good oils? Here's what Racor says about this product:
"Racor Lube Oil Treatment is a fluorocarbon additive which contains an advanced, highly effective polymer lubricant. It provides a superior thin coating to protect precision engine parts and does not contain PTFE which has been known to fall from suspension and clog precision engine components."

No, I'm not considering buying any, just curious.
Ken

TRADE NAME: RACOR LUBE OIL TREATMENT
DESCRIPTION: Lube oil additive containing zinc salt of dialkyl dithiophosphoric acid

** Of course, as you correctly stated, this is a form of ZDDP.

, borated
polyisobutenyl succinic anhydride nitrogen functionalized dispersant,

** A multifunctional additive of Boron which acts as a dispersant to keep sludge and carbon suspended, and is also an AW and anti-corrosion additive.

magnesium and calcium alkylaryl detergents,

** a detergent package to clean up engine parts and raise the TBN.

solvent extracted mineral oil,

** probably just a good Group I base oil as a carrier.

alkyl amine and

** A surfactant and wetting agent to help spread the additive over metal parts.

other components in a petroleum lubricating base stock

** Maybe some more trace chemicals such as a defoaming agent and a rust preventative.

Not too bad; the problem is not knowing the amount of each additive. Too much of any one additive can conflict with other additives already in a formulated base oil. We call this a potential "additive clash."

Hope that helps.

So it has an anti-wear agent, and dispersants and detergents, just like all good motor oils have.

I wonder why they sell the stuff, except to make money trading on their good name. I see a reason for products like Schaeffer's 132 or Auto-Rx, and no reason for this stuff.

Ken

if I were running a trash oil from the local convienience store I might want to
"enhance" the oil a bit with this additive.

Any chance of sending in VOA of this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back