1984 Corvette Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
I recently purchased a 1984 Corvette. The owners manual recommends 10W30, but I thought I would ask a question to the experts.
I believe Mobil 1 became a sponsor after 1984, so what would be the consensus on oil and weight?
Thanks in advance
The car has 40000 miles.

I agree with the others in what they say. You can do ok with a good conventional oil or go with a synthetic such as Mobil 1. I would go 10W/30 personally, but the 5W/30 is fine too. Corvettes became Mobil 1 factory fill in 1992 with the LT1 engine. I own a 94 LT-1 and run Mobil 1.

I'm gonna think an old school kinda way and say Rotella T5 blend 10w30 or T6 5w40 full synthetic. Nothing scientific, just that the zinc levels are high like that engine would have seen in that era.

That car/engine has Mobil 1 5w-30 HM written all over it!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I'm gonna think an old school kinda way and say Rotella T5 blend 10w30 or T6 5w40 full synthetic. Nothing scientific, just that the zinc levels are high like that engine would have seen in that era.

+1

Originally Posted By: brentalan
Does that engine have flat tappets?

Yes, it has flat-faced hydraulic lifters. Rotella T5 10w30 or Valvoline VR1 10w30 would be good choices.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: brentalan
Does that engine have flat tappets?

Yes, it has flat-faced hydraulic lifters. Rotella T5 10w30 or Valvoline VR1 10w30 would be good choices.

This advice is best for that engine [not just any 5-30].

Yes that's a good observation on A_H's part but if the modern ZDDP levels of current PCMOs are an issue (and they may not be) running a heavier than necessary diesel oil may not be the optimum way to go.
The OP could run a modern high VI 5W-30 and buy some ZDDP suppliment like RL Break-In Additive. One bottle will many oil changes.

I completely disagree until proven otherwise. Any stock properly broken in flat-tappet motor with a stock cam and valvetrain which is properly broken in can use any of today's API SN engine oils, however...a flat tappet engine with any aftermarket valve train parts (more aggressive cam, higher pressure springs, higher ratio rockers, etc) could benefit with a oil with more ZDP in it. Look at GM'S engineering of the Corvette V8 and the maximum amount of pressure is 180,000PSI for max lobe/lifter interface. This was the rule of thumb for GM going back to the 50's. I am sorry but there is just too many stock GM V8' rolling around on bulk dino from the local 10 minute oil place with 200,000 miles still running strong and within originally factory specifications for me to buy that one. This shady tree mechanic talk of reduced ZDDP is killing stock engines by the thousands I am just not buying it. I am also saying this I see far too many pre 1980 vehicles that have close to 400K miles on them and often the vehicles are so "well" maintained the odometer does not work, the transmission is skipping gears, the interior is completely shot to you know what the engine start at every turn of the key and is preforming as close to new as a engine with 400K miles can. Each and every one has had the oil changed once or twice a year if that, more often than not once every 3-4 years and 30-40 years later are still running. If the OP wants to run a more aggressive set then I may see the benefit of higher ZDDP but I do not believe ZDDP is the ultimate anti corrosion or anti wear agent in a PCMO, but it is still a important one.

It was definitely a good point. People forget about much of what you mentioned. They also forget that Chevy small blocks, for a number of years, ate cams no matter what oil was fed to them. Additionally, not all the old oils had as much ZDDP as we like to fondly remember.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Look at GM'S engineering of the Corvette V8 and the maximum amount of pressure is 180,000PSI for max lobe/lifter interface. This was the rule of thumb for GM going back to the 50's.

Where did you hear this number? I have worked with GM on various valvetrain projects over the past 6 years, and they do not allow sliding contact stresses this high in production engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back