Fuel system cleaner vs Fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often wondered that myself. I honestly think the chemicals are the same in both, just that the fuel system cleaners come in a fancier bottle and cost $10, while the fuel injector cleaners come in a plain bottle and cost $2.

I too think they are basically the same thing. One major difference with some injector cleaners is that they can be pumped right into the fuel rail and injectors in concentrated form. Since they're not diluted in a tank of gas they work faster. I think motorvac cleaning and the BG 44K cleaner both use this method.

I used a Fuel System Cleaner in my 1975 280S Merc and it was so effective, it clogged my carburettor with dirt.
banghead.gif

jsleesi,

Good topic. My thoughts are to use a cleaner that is not very harsh and gives some clean burning lubrication at the same time.The # 131 Schaeffers seems to fit this category best of the ones I have seen. The Lucas additive seems to burn reasonably clean but I do not know if it cleans? I think using the Lucas showed in a oil analysis I had run,it was harmless I was told,yet was still in the oil. Was never confirmed though and I did not follow up because I quit using it.I was using it as a upper cylinder lube during break-in of a new 02 motor.

Again,it seems if one has a clean system it would be best to use a less volatile maintanence type additive vs going 6 months then hitting the system with a harsh potentially destructive cleaner.

You know,we talk alot about Snake Oil engine oil additives, looks like some of these fuel additives should be avoided?

At one time it was reported that fuel injector cleaners cleaned injector tips but, formed deposits on the back of the intake valve and in the CC. Fuel system cleaners were reported to be of a different chemical composition that did not leave deposits in the fuel system. whether they all cleaned was another question. Those with an understanding of the composition of the two could possible address this issue better. I must say i have had good luck w/ STP Complete Fuel Sytem Cleaner(in a silver plastic bottle). Much different than STP Gas Treatment/fuel Injector Cleaners.

Not sure if the PI is a fuel system cleaner or injector cleaner, guess I need to read the container.
I have run the Amsoil PI (a concentrate) in every tankful since 1000 miles on my 92 Camry. Now 149,000 miles, original injectors and so far never had a fuel system problem and never a check engine light either Of course, it is a 92 and somewhat ancient in emissions.

I also run it in every tankful on two other cars so far the same experience. Now run the neutra every few months in other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back