Dex VI vs Dex/Merc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking for some ATF today and noticed that the Valvoline Maxlife-Dex/Merc can be used where DexVI is recommended. So my question is what is the difference between DexVI and Dex/Merc.
The price difference is about $1.60 a quart.

Note the phrasing. If they don't call it Dex VI the onus is on Valvoline if your transmission blows under warranty.

Well.... If you look in Valvoline's lubrication guide for a GM that specs Dex6 it says to use Valvoline Dex6. In older vehicles that came with Dex3 it says to use dex/merc or maxlife.

So use that knowledge how you like.

Valvoline Dexron VI is approved by GM and has met all of the requirements or the Dexron VI specification.

Maxlife Dex/Merc probably isn't approved by GM for use in applications requiring Dexron VI, even though it MIGHT meet all of the requirements of the spec.

Last edited:
they also backspeced DEX VI for dex III applications(mostly)

so its a triangle

DEX VI works for Dex III

DEX MERC works for DEX III

DEX MERC works for DEX VI?? eh

Originally Posted By: JRed
Maxlife Dex/Merc probably isn't approved by GM for use in applications requiring Dexron VI, even though it MIGHT meet all of the requirements of the spec.

Yah...That's the part I don't get.

You might note that it does NOT say that it is approved by the OEMs. What it says is that it is approved by Valvoline!

Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162
Voith H55.6335.33(G607) and H55.6335.33(G1363) applications
The above constitutes only a partial list of applications approved by Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You might note that it does NOT say that it is approved by the OEMs. What it says is that it is approved by Valvoline!

Yes! This too, I forgot that part.

MaxLife might meet Dex-VI specs, but has not been certified. Regardless, it's been very good in the GM 4T65 and the Honda AT I installed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back