cold air intake suck some water today .oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather man say today is sunny and no rains until 2 more day, so I take my mustang to work, got off work, and heavy rains pour out, my cold air intake is on the fender and my inner fender shield is back order for 2 week, I like this is no good, but I have to go home, the road is wet and i drive really slow, after 4 min I can feel the filter is soat with water cause the tires splat water into the filter, i saw a little smoke and car is running rough, I made home and turn off the car, look at the filter and it soak with water
mad.gif

take off the cold air intake and water and found water in it, not driping out but you can tell water in it. so I beleive my engine is suck some water into the intake and burn off. Should I change the oil and filter ( its only 30 miles oil
frown.gif
). I will drive the camaro until i install the inner fender shield.

Nah, probably not. If a little water got past the air filter, no big deal at all. It's like a free/easy decarbonizer!... If any dirt/debris got past the air filter it's still not a huge deal, just don't run the oil out as an extended drain - change it at 5,000 miles or something.

If a LOT of water got sucked into the intake... well... Sorry!

Last edited:
Water is also a good way to completely seize the motor and bust a piston. If water can get in I'd be fixing that. Water doesn't burn, nor does it compress, and thats bad.

But no if its fine I wouldn't worry, don't change the oil.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Water is also a good way to completely seize the motor and bust a piston. If water can get in I'd be fixing that. Water doesn't burn, nor does it compress, and thats bad.

My mustang is missing the inner fender splash shield, I order from late modes restoration a well known mustang part site, it back order for 2 week, I will try get it install ASAP. on the mean time, so no need change oil ?

just went out and take a picture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Piston tops sure do look nice after letting the engine suck a bottle of Aquafina through the brake booster though.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
you should be ok. Just remember when you do an oil change on that to drain both plugs, not just the back one.

yes, I change oil 2 time in one months since bought
smile.gif
, first time just back plug, and find out need drain front plug too, anyway i got that now
smile.gif
thanks

Bad, bad idea to drive a vehicle if the intake is unprotected and in a spot where it could pull water - hydrolock is serious, let alone just general excess moisture having access to the space around your intake. Sounds like the CAI is in a lousy spot in general if it is that low and in the open - are you sure it isnt actually pulling warm air?

Woudl I change the oil? Sounds like the water did a good job to the operation of your engine - though it is more like a steam cleaning (no need to use any more seafoam!). If the oil shows indication of moisture, like streaks of whitish color or worse (monitor the dipstick carefully), Id definitely change it out quick.

If the oil is near end of life Id probably just do it early for peace of mind.

Is it critical? That depends upon if there is moisture in it, which is really only known if you see indications of it on the dipstick or perform a UOA.

I know i only drive it only on sunny day and not never rains since I bought it, but today is just bad day I guest, rains without warning. of peace of mind, I will just drain out the oil and put in another qs defy, only 15 dollar.

honestly i would ditch that setup and go with something with the filter in the engine bay. with the hole open that that particular filter goes through you will still have cold airflow.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I know i only drive it only on sunny day and not never rains since I bought it, but today is just bad day I guest, rains without warning. of peace of mind, I will just drain out the oil and put in another qs defy, only 15 dollar.

Ask a question, then do the opposite of what everyone suggests. Worth asking next time?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

Ask a question, then do the opposite of what everyone suggests. Worth asking next time?

I was bit a worried, I know wat I need to do now
smile.gif

I have the same setup on my '88 T-Bird, with a inner liner you'll be fine... I didn't drive the Marauder today cause the weather man said it was going to rain, that's right we didn't get a drop anywhere in the area...

A little water is good to clean the carbon out of the cylinders, I first saw it done by a old time mechanic on a knocking 351 in a '69 Torino... I dragged in a wreck for parts and the motor was knocking, he said ain't nothing but carbon on the pistons, get me some water... He revved it up to around 3500 and started pouring water down the carb in a small stream, after the second pop bottle full it was quiet as could be... I ran the engine in a Falcon for a couple years and then sold it to a buddy who put it in a Stang...

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
As long as it fires back up I wouldn't worry. Get the fender liner and your back in the ball game

yes sir
11.gif

Ever see the massive water ingested by race boat engines?
Just drive it. Roughness may be an ignition problem that surfaces when wet.

yes I think the roughness, i though my engine gonna lock up, I think the mass air flow sensor got water hit it. Imma have to visit couple local junkyard, and try find a factory air intake system, and keep in the trunk or install it ( i will decise when I have find 1 ) because in 2 month, our local mustang having summer cruising 5000 miles road trips. about 20 mustang and our mustang club owner will collect some moneys for hotel and stuff. i need get this mustang road ready for all condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back