Installed Gauges on Husqvarna Riding Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Only on BITOG can I show off my latest mini-project. I added Oil temp and Volt gauges to my Kohler powered Husqvarna Riding Mower. I used Faze electronic gauges. Great price on eBay, $16.95 for the Voltmeter and $19.95 for the Oil Temp gauge with free shipping. Plus they are rugged and offer terrific led style back lighiting. I want to add an oil pressure gauge later on.....but I have to drill for it since Kohler cheapened out and does not include a pre-drilled hole to use.

Spreadsheets of DATA!!
Dilbert_status.gif

How is the oil temp measured? Is it a VDO style sensor that goes in the oil drain hole?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Cool! What kind of oil temps are you seeing?

After installation, I rode the tractor around for about 20mins just on pavement w/o a load and it read just over 190. I am thinking that when mowing (I mow 6 acres) and on a hot Texas day it will run 220-240 range. That's my guess and I will know soon for sure. It currently has fresh Mobil 1 10W/30 in it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How is the oil temp measured? Is it a VDO style sensor that goes in the oil drain hole?

You are right on. I removed the quick oil drain plug and stuck the sensor in it's place. I realize the oil temp at the pan will be lower than what's actually circulating in the engine. Not sure how much the difference is, though.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Now that you know, you are going to worry!
Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I know that's true, lol!

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am not the first to do this - a few other BITOG members have done the same. One guy did an awesome job drilling and tapping for an oil pressure gauge and I plan on that later on.

What about oil consumption? I now have 5 mowings on my new Craftsman 21HP Briggs and will change the oil soon. Was thinking about M1 10-30 or 0-40.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What about oil consumption? I now have 5 mowings on my new Craftsman 21HP Briggs and will change the oil soon. Was thinking about M1 10-30 or 0-40.

Not sure about consumption as of yet. I have 28 hours on the mower and just put the Mobil 1 (10W/30) in there around 26hrs. I ran the factory fill for 5 hours, then ran a conventional oil until now. I can say that for now I have seen no consumption. I've ran M1 in all my other mowers and never had any issues so hopefully the same will hold true with this mower. I wish my mower had a Briggs engine instead of the Kohler 21hp it has. No issues yet, just prefer B&S.

Did some cutting today. 85 degree weather, temp stayed below 230.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You are right on. I removed the quick oil drain plug and stuck the sensor in it's place. I realize the oil temp at the pan will be lower than what's actually circulating in the engine. Not sure how much the difference is, though.

I rarely see over 160F on the pan-mounted sensor on my BMW 318i, granted the pan is finned and in the airflow.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Nice job. An hourmeter would also be a nice addition for service interval.

You are correct. It has one of those too. Came standard on it.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: user52165
Nice job. An hourmeter would also be a nice addition for service interval.

You are correct. It has one of those too. Came standard on it.

I was thinking a speedometer, tach, blade RPM meter, etc.......

Originally Posted By: bigmike
TPMS!

LOL! Good one! That would be real easy with the aftermarket kits sold today. Just pop in the sensors and mount the display box.

Nice Job, With all these mods maybee you should consider some HID'S for night mowing ? id do it just to say i did it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back