Engine smoking---will Auto-Rx help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought of this, hopefully auto-rx will help:
I noticed the other day my engine smoking a fair amount as I ran to the redline in 3rd gear. It was during the day and I never really noticed it before except at night in the headlights behind me but not much.
Funny thing is I am now using Red Ling oil instead of Mobil 1. I would have thought it would be less with the Red Line. It may even be less, this isn't exactly scientific. My oil consumption is much less. Have almost 2k miles and used less than 1/5 qt. Even though the Red Line is 10w40 and the M1 was 15w50.

The smoke seems to be grey. Is this due to sticking or worn rings? And if sticking rings, will auto-rx fix it?

I asked Red Line about flushing chemicals before and they were adamantly against them so I have stayed clear of them but everyone here seems to like Auto-Rx...?

1989 BMW 325is with 159k, Red Line last 2k mi, M1 15w50 for 35k before that and some kind of 20w50 in summer and 15w40 winter from at least 30k onward before I bought it, interval unknown.

OR can the smoke be carbon being cleaned out?? I have been using Red Line SI-1, one full bottle on one tank and then every tank since (5+) using a 1bottle:100gal treat rate every tank as they specify.(I used Techron a lot before and drive hard so I shouldn't have that much carbon I would think) Although my mpg is getting better, but I don't know if that is because of Red Line oil instead?
Thanks!

Give it the Auto-Rx cleanup. You will be impressed. I've just done both of my vehicles and even at the high cost of getting them here to Oz I think it was well worth the cost. Good people to deal with too!

Nevermind, I was having hallucinations that day I guess.
twak.gif

Driving the other day at night on the highway I tried it again many times. And with the headlights behind me I would have been able to see anything, but there was nothing until above 6k rpm when I just get a little whisp of grey smoke. So perfectly normal. Most brand new cars will even do that.
This makes much more sense because I knew my engine was in good condition. Compression is perfect and I ran a 15.49@88mph a year ago. And that is right at what magazines tested my car at when it was new.
Also adjusting my valves I noticed there are no deposits whatsoever, only some slight discoloration. I assume that is varnish. But there is still many silver areas of clean metal.
So I think my engine is pretty clean too and this causes me to go back to my original feeling that auto-rx would be uneccesary.
dunno.gif

I can understand Redline's reluctance to recommending engine flushes. That's because they are thinking of the typical solvent based flushes, which are definitely harmful. They'll attack any sludge and quickly dislodge it, which can clog oil passages and create all kinds of havoc. Also, solvent based flushes have no lubricating qualities. Then when you do the next oil change, some of that solvent is still left behind. Not good!

But Auto-rx does it's job slower, so it won't clog oil passages, plus it's got good lubricating qualities too, so it is not harmful to your oil and won't thin it out.

I'm almost done with my Auto-rx application, and I definitely without a doubt feel an increase in low end torque on my car. It has been extremely hot here (95F) the last few days too, so if anything my car should feel a lot slower to me, but it definitely does not. I'm very impressed just based on that alone. I think my valvetrain was probably a bit sticky. I do notice it's quieter now, and the engine does feel smoother and more responsive. In the fall when the weather is cooler, we'll see if I can beat my 13.89 at 98.2 quarter mile time as well. That's going to show for sure if I've gotten back the lost power my car had when new (I bought it used with 56k on it, and it now has 69k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back