Shouldn't Auto-rx be turning my oil black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This morning I checked my oil, and after 150 miles with the Auto-rx in there, it doesn't look all that dark. Does that mean my engine wasn't that dirty to begin with?

Patman,
I understand that the Auto-Rx works slowly and liquifies any varnish/sludge as it is working and then carries it to the FF filter where it is removed. I think the cleaning action will occur on the working parts/wear parts first as they get the hottest and the flow of oil, that is why you will notice a slight improvement in performance very soon after adding. The rest of the action is from oil spray ect. on other parts such as valve cover ect. leaving the Auto-Rx to clean.

I did my 2000 626 Mazda with 8K miles and the oil remained a nice golden color the whole time. No visible evidence in the FF. Of course this engine was clean to begin with, but I wanted to see the effects on a newer engine. I did notice the engine is more responsive now. When I changed the oil after the 500 miles with the Auto-Rx, I added 2 ounces to the new oil as a maintenance dose. I will do that each oil change.

As I mentioned before, I do notice a performance boost, and I don't think it's my imagination, as it is warmer and more humid in my area right now too, plus I've been running the AC, but yet the engine does feel stronger right off idle, more responsive. Top end power feels about the same though, but that's harder to gauge because a 5hp difference generally isn't felt at full throttle. But a 5ftlbs increase in torque will be felt easier.

And I don't want to jump the gun because it could be a mistake, however my first fillup since doing the Auto-rx shows my gas mileage going from 19.5 to over 21 MPG! I always average out my gas mileage over a longer term period though, so we'll see if that average continues, or if the gas pump stopped a bit too early on that fillup. I did notice the gas gauge moving down slower than usual though, and my traffic patterns haven't changed (if anything, traffic has been a lot heavier this week than last week, plus I've been running the AC more)

Patman

I just re treated both my engines with Militec-1 as my thinking is ARx has just cleaned away so much varnish/sludge or whatever hence exposing a lot more bare metal for Militec-1 to get at this time. A noticeable improvement in noise level and smoothness. Another US product of real quality. Can't say enough about Redlines trans/gear oils either.

Patman, One would think it should clean a little quicker than it does,if it does? I could not tell any difference at all.
I appologize the users that swear by the Auto RX but I would rather run two change cycles of Del Vac 1300,Rotella T or something to help clean my motor

I am buying some of the Shaeffer 131 Nuetra to use for far less money when taken into consideration the many uses of it

That's one thing I must say, it was quite expensive for me to try out the Auto-rx! It cost me a total of $75 Canadian!

But if my gas mileage goes up by even 0.5MPG, it will pay for itself in the long run.

Patman,
One of the reasons you experience the added mileage is that the first thing that is cleaned is your engine friction points and then around 350 miles you should start to see discoloration of the oil. Remember, not all engines are sludge buckets, they just slowly start to lacquer (my term for non-goop sludge) the parts and fill the galleys. It depends on oil change frequency and oil additive package. You maintained your engine very well so the drastic oil blackening won't be as noticeable as on a sludged Toyota ect.
The nice thing is your engine seals are returning to a pliable state just like when new, and the oil is now lubricating the oil lubricated rotating parts because that metal is now clean.

Actually, even though I've maintained the car well since I bought it, I am not the original owner. I bought the car with 56k on it, and now have 68k. I strongly believe the previous owner didn't change the oil often enough.

I'm using auto-rx in an '87 Grand National(I've had it since new) and I also see no discolored oil or notice any seat of the pants improvement. I have about 450 miles on the auto-rx and 73,000 on the car. I am glad I used the auto-rx since it appears to be a proven product and I know the engine will be about as clean as it will get. But, with a well maintained engine, I don't think I'd use this product any more than once every 75K miles. The other substitutes that have been mentioned that are less expensive would be the way I go about it from here.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

And I don't want to jump the gun because it could be a mistake, however my first fillup since doing the Auto-rx shows my gas mileage going from 19.5 to over 21 MPG! I always average out my gas mileage over a longer term period though, so we'll see if that average continues, or if the gas pump stopped a bit too early on that fillup. I did notice the gas gauge moving down slower than usual though, and my traffic patterns haven't changed (if anything, traffic has been a lot heavier this week than last week, plus I've been running the AC more)

I was wrong. I filled up again today, and just like clockwork, the average for the two tankfuls was 19.46 MPG.

But the engine does still feel stronger to me, so that's a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back