Motorcraft filter on GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is an 04 Astro 4.3L V6. I installed a Mototcraft FL2005 oil filter. It fit an sealed. My question is there a problem using this filter because of the internal valve or other issue?

uh oh, your car is going to EXPLODE! lol

Shouldn't be an issue, motorcrafts are just a rebadged purolator. The only issue is having the blue oval under your hood

Originally Posted By: MongoBong
Vehicle is an 04 Astro 4.3L V6. I installed a Mototcraft FL2005 oil filter. It fit an sealed. My question is there a problem using this filter because of the internal valve or other issue?

You have a huge problem! Change the filter out now!!!

The FL2005 has a 3/4 - 16 thread while the correct PF47 for your application is a M18 x 1.5 thread. If you have any issues, no one will warranty that combination. Just because it fits...doesn't make it right.

Beyond that you can use any brand on any make/model...as long as it's the correct application for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I didn't think Motorcraft made filters for GM vehicles.

They do, and vice versa. Since motorcraft is purolator and delcos are champion the parent companies were already making the filters. I've seen a lot of fords come out of Chevy dealers with delcos. It's easier then a GM dealer stocking motorcraft

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

They do, and vice versa. Since motorcraft is purolator and delcos are champion the parent companies were already making the filters. I've seen a lot of fords come out of Chevy dealers with delcos. It's easier then a GM dealer stocking motorcraft

where do you find the part numbers? I looked on the Motorcraft website, and they only had Fords listed.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

where do you find the part numbers? I looked on the Motorcraft website, and they only had Fords listed.

Try rockauto.com They usually have both brands listed for your vehicle (and the prices are good too.)

how did you even find a fl2005 they were superceded by the fl-400s years ago.

also hannibal was correct you must have cross threaded the filter to get it on as it has the incorrect threading for your application so remove it and inspect the threads on the filter mount and use the correct filter.

www.pureoil.com = purolators website and they have a cross reference.

Ya I would pull it just because it's for a FORD!!! I believe the word I'm looking for is sacrilegious.....

No, seriously, you should pull it off being the wrong thread. It may seem tight but I wouldn't want to try and find out how long it's going to stay that way.

The bypass shouldn't be a big issue. I would want the bypass to be higher than the one in the engine so you're not pumping dirty oil more often than should be but other than that, they're good filters.

Originally Posted By: kemo
why would you install a filter with the wrong threading?

he works for Jiffy Lube.
laugh.gif

It threaded on easily and sealed. After reading about the wrong thread, I replaced it with AC PF52. I found the FL2005 filters on red tag at Wally world & it looked like it would fit. Thanks for the help and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back