2003 Chevy Silverado 4.3, 5w30 Mobil Super Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've lurked here many years, but I never posted a UOA. At around 98,500 I had to replace the intake manifold gasket on my 2003 4.3 Silverado.

I am the original owner of the truck and just about all of the oil I have ever used was Mobil 1. I change when the oil life monitor light appears. I do NOT use this truck on a daily basis. However I do tow 1500# occasionally and do use it on our vacations.

This was my first time using Mobil Super Synthetic. I used Mobil Super Synthetic because I got it cheaper than Mobil 1.

At the time I did this UOA I replaced Mobil SS with Maxlife 10w30 SN. I am using Maxlife because I have a very minor oil leak from the oil pan.

In the past I used AC Delco filters. I stopped using AC Delcos because the PF 52's I use (oversize) are ecores. So I use the classic Purolator filter, not ecore, oversized.

Should I: switch back to Mobil 1 OR a different oil, keep using AC Delco filters?

Guidance, suggestions, recommendations are really appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Dave

Code:

OIL Mobil Super Synthetic 5/w30 SN

MILES IN USE 4000

MILES ON UNIT 99132

SAMPLE TAKEN 04/17/2012

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 28

COPPER 6

LEAD 5

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 12

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 27

POTASSIUM 9

BORON 13

SILICON 30

SODIUM 316

CALCIUM 1857

MAGNESIUM 12

PHOSPHORUS 611

ZINC 743

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 445

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.6

cSt @ 212ºF 9.82

You can get non Ecore PF52s now. I know Autozone carries them - not sure about WalMart. Is the sodium and potassium from a coolant leak? Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

Looks like a small amount of coolant is getting in the oil. Probly from the intake manifold gaskets. Try a couple of the GM stop leak pellets.

What alarms me is the huge amount of Silicon and iron. Dirt is getting into the engine somehow. Loose air box lid? Broken rubber intake tube? And is causing wear on the iron parts which are causing wear on the lead bearings.

If that has the original formula Dexcool in it it would have Potassium but be essentially sodium free.

Im thinking that may just be residual. Do some short changes with a cheaper conventional oil. If you run some other coolant or an aftermarket Dexcool and are not certain if it uses Sodium 2EHA or Potassium 2EHA I would get an oil thats sodium free. I believe SuperTech (WPP produced only), Havoline and Quaker State conventionals are all sodium free and available at a reasonable price at Walmart in 5 Quart Jugs.

Thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate them!

The intake job included removal of Dexcool. Using regular antifreeze now. My clue to the intake leak was the "sweet" odor antifreeze gives off. Coolant levels are stable now after the intake job.

I did not include Blackstones comments. They essentially say the oil shows typical wear for this engine and that the oil I used does have sodium. They also say I should monitor the iron levels but "not lose any sleep over it". Silicon they say is most likely from sealant used during the intake gasket repair.

I want to run a short interval on this current oil. Also on a side note, I noticed an accumulation of fine metal on my magnetic drain plug, but it was pretty light. Never noticed that before...

Dave

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Did you receive the TBN left at 4K miles with this report ?

Sorry, I did not.

I would do the same and run a shorter OCI this time, maybe the next as well. Just to flush out any coolant or contaminates from the gasket job. I don't think the numbers are bad enough to be too concerned about yet. Many GM V8s show higher metal numbers and this is essentially 6 350 cylinders. Do your short OCI or two then get another test and see how it's doing.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I would do the same and run a shorter OCI this time, maybe the next as well. Just to flush out any coolant or contaminates from the gasket job. I don't think the numbers are bad enough to be too concerned about yet. Many GM V8s show higher metal numbers and this is essentially 6 350 cylinders. Do your short OCI or two then get another test and see how it's doing.

Run 2 oil changes, each 1k, then do a UOA?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back