Something I've noticed about Duragloss 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've noticed if I let it dry before I wipe it off, it's extremely difficult to remove, but if I remove it before it drys, it not only is easier to remove, but it leaves more of a deep, glassy looking shine. Have any of you noticed this?

Do the directions say to let it haze before removing? Most wax and sealant products do, but I can't remember with Duragloss.

BTW - Duragloss is my product of choice. I get it at Carquest. I've been happy with it.

Last edited:
I have not noticed that. Maybe you're applying too thick? I always apply to the whole car, and then start removing/buffing. It's well hazed-over/dry by then.

I've always noticed, with most waxes and sealants, if you wait too long or try to remove it too early, you get problems. I use Duragloss 501 and remove it after machine applying it to the whole vehicle. It seemed easier this last I've but sometimes humidity, wind and heat will also play a bug role in removal issues.

The first time I used #101 it was a bear to remove. The car was 4yrs old, applied way too thick, didn't clay the car except for a few spots on the sides, coated the entire car before removing.

Luckily the durability was great and so was the shine. All the light microscratches were gone or greatly reduced.

^ DG101 doesn't have any abrasives, so that is surprising. I don't think it has any fillers either. It has chemical cleaning abilities -- which won't do much for swirls.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
^ DG101 doesn't have any abrasives, so that is surprising. I don't think it has any fillers either. It has chemical cleaning abilities -- which won't do much for swirls.

That's weird...I've heard it does have abrasives...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: kkreit01

That's weird...I've heard it does have abrasives...

The 501 includes strong cleaners and nano-abrasives the 101 just has the cleaners.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I always thought #101 has polishing agents since it says on the front of the box that it removes fine scratches. I just looked it up on www.duragloss.com.

That's what I thought too as it isn't going to remove fine scratches without at least SOME abrasives...

I don't think #101 has any abrasives. Below I will paste a response to an email I sent asking questions about the products. It seems that basically, all of the sealants are the same base product with varying amounts of CHEMICAL cleaners. #501 has the most, followed by #105 and #111 with very little cleaners.Not sure where #101 falls here, my GUESS would be between #105 and #111. Interestingly, the MSDS sheets give the same description for all four products.

I think if you want mild abrasives, you need to go #652 Pre-Cleaner, which I have used and like.

"Mike,
Thank you for your inquiry. All of these will give you the glossy look and durability you are looking for. The difference in the products is the amount of cleaning agents in each one. Part #111 has the least cleaner in it. This is used for new vehicles or ones that are kept polished regularly and do not need extra cleaning. The 105 and 501 has the most cleaners in them. 501 has a little more than 105. Depending on the condition of the surface, such as oxidation buildup, environmental conditions, etc. Either one of these would take care of these issues. The 601 Bonding agent will work with any of these and will help prolong the durability and protection of the polishes."

That's very strange and here's why I think so. The clear coat on the top rear edges of my motorcycle's gas tank gets these "hazy" looking spots about the size of a nickle from my jeans rubbing on them while I ride. Polishing these two spots by hand with 101 will restore these spots back to a high gloss. I don't see how a product with only chemical cleaners would have the ability to do this. It seems to me like it would have to have some sort of abrasives to accomplish this.

I think it might be what they call "fillers". I have several similar spots that will look great immediately after polishing, but will begin to become apparent again after a few months.

I don't think Duragloss products have "fillers" in them...I could be wrong...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't think Duragloss products have "fillers" in them...I could be wrong...

I agree and doubt they have any fillers in them. Thats why Duragloss is a repected name on detailer forums and other companies are not. Heres a favorite link to some of the swirl mark remover #671. Contains more polishing agents than the #101 and a sealant.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html

If it's difficult to remove after hazing then you used entirely too much product. The layer should be so thin that you have to strain your eyes to see it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Hey guys, I will send DG an email about it and see what they say. Then report back on here.

Reply back from Duragloss:

Thank you for your inquiry. The 101 has self diminishing micro particles that
actually get rid of fine scratches.

Thanks and God Bless,
Jerry, Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back