Transmission Fluid Flush/Change on 07 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 1500 ext cab is just about to approach 40,000 miles. A buddy of mine mentioned he will have his transmission fluid and pan changed at 35,000 miles. I thought that the estimated mileage for this was a lot higher. Is it wise to do this at or around 35,000 miles? I do not haul very often, nothing more than a 4 wheeler in the back here and there or a run to the dump.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, around the 30,000 mile mark is the normal for your transmission, differentials, and transfer case, this should cost you to do it all at the same time around $350-400.00 depending where you go. im having all mine done next week, funny you should bring this up. I was and still plan to post on this topic in a new thread.

Originally Posted By: Sachry
My 2007 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 1500 ext cab is just about to approach 40,000 miles. A buddy of mine mentioned he will have his transmission fluid and pan changed at 35,000 miles. I thought that the estimated mileage for this was a lot higher. Is it wise to do this at or around 35,000 miles? I do not haul very often, nothing more than a 4 wheeler in the back here and there or a run to the dump.

Thanks for your help.

Is there a drain bolt in the tranny pan? If so just do a drain and fill. i do it every other year, at 205k its going great. Had another tranny go over 300k this way. Never lost a tranny with drains. Ceapest way. If you do it that way filter changes (usually screens) are not required for 100k if ever.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Yes, around the 30,000 mile mark is the normal for your transmission, differentials, and transfer case, this should cost you to do it all at the same time around $350-400.00 depending where you go. im having all mine done next week, funny you should bring this up. I was and still plan to post on this topic in a new thread.

if you do it yourself, tranmission, diff and TC and front diff for under 100 dollar that with good fluid.

Sachry
Don't forget the power steering and brake fluid change. For the PS fluid: Jack up the front end to get the tires off the ground, disconnect the return line to the PS unit and drop it down to a bucket, turn the ignition key but don't start the engine, turn the wheels left and right all the way, refill the reservoir and turn the wheeels back and forth again until the fluid comes out clean, then hook everything back up and recheck fluid level.

Awesome Info. Thanks folks. I will look into doing some of it myself. Not a mechanic or anything, but I've always been able to do shocks, brakes, oil changes, thermostat, etc and a few more involved things like a radiator remove and install. All part of the more simple things for the average person.

Thanks Again!

50K is the severe service interval and 100K for regular service. Trans. and diff. are the only two maintenance items I don’t change at recommended intervals. I feel the recommended intervals are too long. I change mine at 25K. Since GM chooses not to bless our trucks with drain plugs on the trans. pan, I siphon the fluid out of the dipstick tube and add the same amount back in. Change the filter screen at 100K and you’ll be good to go.

You can source a pan from a ~2001 year model truck with the same trans and get a drain plug if you feel like it at 100K when you do the pan drop for the filter.

If you have not serviced the coolant system it is time… five years or 150K is the interval for the coolant.

My wife's '08 Colorado has 48K on the odometer. I need to change her fluid, but I see that siphoning method mentioned. Seems like a great idea. Are you sure the filter is good by doing this method?

You need to change the filter the first time you change the fluid, then the other time you can siphon and replace with the same amount. I did just like that for my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back