OHV Vs OHC Honda motors

I have 2 Honda HRX lawn mowers, the 16 year old OHV one run so much nicers than the OHC one(only 3 years old). I haven't started the OHV one in 3 years til yestesday and it if fired up on the 1st pull. Too bad the transmission is gone on the OHV one. I think Honda have cheapen their lawn mower engines in recents years like the rest of their product lines.

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
I have 2 Honda HRX lawn mowers, the 16 year old OHV one run so much nicers than the OHC one(only 3 years old). I haven't started the OHV one in 3 years til yestesday and it if fired up on the 1st pull. Too bad the transmission is gone on the OHV one. I think Honda have cheapen their lawn mower engines in recents years like the rest of their product lines.

Of course they have. With the cost of materials, labor and shipping, they need to make it up somewhere.

My Kubota OHV push mower is still running strong and was purchased in 1986! Other than cleaning the carb once and replacing a blade here and there, she's been awesome.

Everybody has cheapened their products to the point of near disposable.If everyone knew todays stuff would be so bad,the 1970s and 1980s would have been banner years for people stocking up on 2,3,4 or more of every appliance....if they could have afforded it. Reminds me of the frugal farmer who bought 4 Model T Fords when they were discontinued(bought his local dealer's entire stock),he was taking the last new one out of mothballs in 1969....

According to Honda's Website, you can get an OHV if you go Honda Commercial. I think the OHC is still a decent engine found on Honda's mowers and on alot of other brands. They seem to start really easy. I think they have more options now with entry level machines than they did in the 80s. Plus now days you can buy the mowers from Big box stores.

Too bad the transmission is gone on the OHV one.

Which transmission, hydrostatic or gear drive?

Generally it's the drive axle bushings that start to bind-up and people think it's the transmission causing the no-go situation.

Problem is, leave the bushings that way and it will trash the transmission eventually.

IMO, for basic mower service, the Honda GC is a fine engine. May as well save the GX's for bigger OPE. They all turn to boat anchors exactly the same when un-mowable objects are mowed. No sense in trashing a real good engine in one BANG.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Too bad the transmission is gone on the OHV one.

Which transmission, hydrostatic or gear drive?

Generally it's the drive axle bushings that start to bind-up and people think it's the transmission causing the no-go situation.

Problem is, leave the bushings that way and it will trash the transmission eventually.

IMO, for basic mower service, the Honda GC is a fine engine. May as well save the GX's for bigger OPE. They all turn to boat anchors exactly the same when un-mowable objects are mowed. No sense in trashing a real good engine in one BANG.

Joel

It has the hydrostatic transmission. I should shoot a video of bought of them running at idle and you could see the quality differnce between the two motors.

I'm quite familiar with both. There's no disputing the GX is a better engine! It should be given it's about twice the cost of a GC.

To me it's more about the equipment the engine is sitting on.

Joel

What I don't get is why an OHC is better or easier to manufacture than the other designs with the cam in the block. And subjecting a rubber (or whatever, it's not steel) belt to oil doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
What I don't get is why an OHC is better or easier to manufacture than the other designs with the cam in the block. And subjecting a rubber (or whatever, it's not steel) belt to oil doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Without seeing a diagram, I would almost bet the belt is isolated from the oil by seals. That is a typical OHC cam system - just like a timing belt in a car.

FWIW - I have 2 Honda GX type engines that are at least 20 years old, used heavily, and never an issue other than lousy gas gumming up the carb.

Last edited:
The OHC Honda engines have the belt exposed to oil. I checked the valve adjustment on my mower engine recently and the belt runs from the crankshaft to the cam in the cylinder head inside of the engine case. The engine has been in service since 2003 with no problems.

From the GCV190 exploded drawing it looks like the cam belt takes oil up to the top of the engine. Oil is splashed onto the belt by some 4-paddle wheel on the crank, and gets flung off at the top when the belt goes through a 180 degree turn.

Originally Posted By: spackard
From the GCV190 exploded drawing it looks like the cam belt takes oil up to the top of the engine. Oil is splashed onto the belt by some 4-paddle wheel on the crank, and gets flung off at the top when the belt goes through a 180 degree turn.

Yes and that's why they can be mounted in different configurations w/ little/no changes. The horizontal shaft version has the cam cover straight up in the air, thus the need for that belt to carry the oil up to the cam.

Joel

Last edited:
As mentioned above the Honda GX (pushrod OHV) engine is the commercial variant. The Honda GC is the homeowner special.

A quick look at the EPA label will clear things up. The GC engines are often category "C" moderate, 125 hour engines. The GX's are Category Extended, "A" or "B", 500 or 1000 hour engines.

There have been a number of cam belt problems. I think from hitting stumps while mowing.

I don't think the smaller (pushmower) engines go beyond a 500hr rating.

I don't doubt they happen, but in the years I've participated in OPE forums, I don't think I've read of a single cam belt problem on a GC engine.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

There have been a number of cam belt problems. I think from hitting stumps while mowing.

Yup. Mainly when you mow under bushes and mash the cam cover into a branch or something. Usually the cover deforms and holds your valves open. I think one of the mower manufacturers had a wire cage on the front of the Honda powered mowers just for that concern. My Honda dealer regularly replaces the cam covers with the ones from the GS/GSV series. They bolt right up, and are cast aluminum. Everytime you adjust valves on a GCV, you run the chance of messing up the cam cover (thin metal and that Honda grey gasketmaker).

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
OHV all the way. the OHC uses a cam belt. nuff said.

Huh? What's wrong with the OHC drive belt on the Honda 160? I have it on my lawnmower, purchased in 2000, now 12 years old. I have always had an hour meter on it, and it is now at about 700 hours. I have always used Mobil 1 oil in it, changed yearly at 55 to 60 hours. It has never been down more than an eighth of an inch on the dipstick at the end of a 60 hour OCI, and has never had a valve adjustment. The oil always looks pretty clean after 60 hours, but I still always change it yearly.

I definitely rate this engine as one of the finest for a home use mower. Worries over the belt driven OHC are nonexistent as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted By: JR
1999nick i was wondering if you could tell me what oil and oci's are you using? i am looking to run a gc160 to power a generator to power a shed on the back of twnty acres.

I have always used Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 5 hours to get the 30weight that came with the mower out. Usually, it was 5W30, although one year I used some 0W30 I had on hand. The motor has never used any oil in a one year OCI, even when I used the 0W30. I have always kept an hour meter on it(They only last 5 to 7 years, and have a nonreplaceable battery, so I have had to buy a couple for it), and I use this mower between 55 and 65 hours per year. It now has about 700 hours on it.

Back