need a decent vac. cleaner............

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've slammed Consumer Reports before, but check what they have to say on this. On this at least, their testing shows which one will work well when brand-new. Durability is a roll of the dice with a vacuum, though. Also, look how easy it is to maintain the thing, such as bag access, filter access, and cleaning out the beater bar and the inevitable clog.

I really like our Dyson DC25 since the basic maintenance stuff on that is child's play to access. Cleaning hair from the beater brush takes a quarter to release the brush, and can be removed, cleaned, and replaced in less than 5 minutes. The filters are re-usable and easy-peasy to access. The attachments plain work. And, it works well as a vacuum. I like how maneuverable it is around furniture. It doesn't go under things well, but we have an attachment for that. I got it new for $350 IIRC, which is expensive. On the other hand, it's a very well-thought-out vacuum that works well for its intended purpose.

Last edited:
A Eureka Smart Boss

http://www.eureka.com/en-US/Vacuums/Uprights/Boss-SmartVac/

is often a best buy on Consumer reports. I have 2 or 3 and my wife cannot break them but she did break the much more expensive Simplicity ones. They have a bag and a HEPA filter, can disengage the roller brush and can be set for various rug heights. For another $10 or so, you can get another long section of hose for doing the stairs. We have lost the accessories and have cracked one of the wands, but those are $5 or $10 items.

The bagless ones seem like a good idea, but you have to clean several filters almost every time you dump the dirt cup.

I have a Eureka Smart Boss on each floor. Not that they are that heavy. Just easier.

I am sure there are good deals at Walmart or Amazon or other online places.

Owned a miele. While we liked the clean air it put back into the room with the HEPA filters and decent sucking power, we didn't like how it was too expensive.

We bought one of these when the hose attachment on the Miele broke and was $149 (or was it $179?) to repair:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bissell-PowerF...indingMethod=rr

And liked it *more* than the Miele. Sucking power was greatly improved, threw back clean air into the room as it has a HEPA style filter, no bags so it's easy to empty out the dirt. The only thing we find mediocre is the hose attachment. Otherwise, the $72 we paid for this (a very similar model) costs less than half of a new replacement hose on the Miele.

Ended up getting another one for the 2nd floor (kids can both vacuum at the same time lol).

Like sciphi, I've liked our Dyson, which is an older DC07 model that I purchased factory refurbished on eBay for $280 shipped. It's nearly 8 years old and we haven't had a single problem. Well, except that just recently the flexible/collapsible hose that stretches when you remove the handle, flip it around, and use attachment has started to tear from age and fatigue. But that's a quick fix with some duct tape or I can get a new hose for under $20.

Agree with Donald. Get the Eureka Smart Boss. CU recommended it and they were "spot on". Cleans great, easy to use, and far superior to the Hoovers and other brands we have had over the years. Walmart had it for a great price, but I see it advertised at Sears for close to the same cost.

I paid about $200 for my Oreck and almost 15 years later it still works like a champ.

Lightweight, good power (although a tad bit loud) and made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
I paid about $200 for my Oreck and almost 15 years later it still works like a champ.

Lightweight, good power (although a tad bit loud) and made in the USA.

Made in Mexico now. At least it is not made in china...

Dyson is going to be the way to go.

Why do you all spend so much on vacuum cleaners?

Out of high school, looking for a job, I sold Filter Queens (A--don't laugh, B--remember those?) They were excellent for their time, but flipping expensive.

Nowadays, anything more than $100 is too much IMO as technology has changed the market so much in the last 10-15 years. You'll get good mileage out of one of these sub $100 units (such as the one I linked) to last 10+ years.

We JUST bought a Hoover T-series pet model upright for $104 after rebate. That's fairly low priced as vacuums go.

We have two Goldens, and this one does an excellent job. No expensive filters or bags to replace. Our last Hoover (the classic convertible) held up for 25 years. But if we get 5 years from this one, we got our money's worth.

If it weren't for their sales methods, we'd otherwise buy a Kirby and be done with it. That is the very best vacuum made. And it should be, for what it costs.

I take CU with less weight than I used to, now that places like Amazon offer unvarnished consumer reviews. We've had a couple stinkers that were CR "recommended" models.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Out of high school, looking for a job, I sold Filter Queens (A--don't laugh, B--remember those?) They were excellent for their time, but flipping expensive.

Nowadays, anything more than $100 is too much IMO as technology has changed the market so much in the last 10-15 years. You'll get good mileage out of one of these sub $100 units (such as the one I linked) to last 10+ years.

I agree. I paid $50-60 for previous vacuum and it broke after 10-12 years, I just dumped it and bought a bagless for $70-75 5 years ago and it's working well as of now. IMO a sub $100 vacuum may not lasted 10+ years, but is is so cheap so treat it as disposable appliance.

It's not just about how long it last, but how well it works (i.e. how well it sucks
laugh.gif
) when you use it. From day 1 and every time we've used it since, I've been impressed with our Dyson's suction.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

I agree. I paid $50-60 for previous vacuum and it broke after 10-12 years, I just dumped it and bought a bagless for $70-75 5 years ago and it's working well as of now. IMO a sub $100 vacuum may not lasted 10+ years, but is is so cheap so treat it as disposable appliance.

We had one of those $60 specials (w/the $10 filter). It burned up in 1 year.
No match v. golden retriever hair.

Depends on what has to vacuumed, and how often.

This time of year, we fill a full canister EVERY DAY.

I prefer the Bissel brand. I've used a number of different vacuums, including high end models, and I think Bissel is the best value.

I've used three different Dysons and haven't been impressed with any of them. None of them picked up pet hair like our Bissel does. We have a Swiss Mountain Dog and a DSH cat. I've used one Eureka and it was also good.

Bissel is HQ'd in Grand Rapids, MI, and our Bissel was at least made in North America (Mexico), not overseas. This is the exact one we have:

Bissel upright on Kohls.com

It seems to always be on sale for $189.99. My wife is a master at the game of Kohls, so we got ours for something like $109 all said and done. There was a rebate from Bissel for 20 bucks or something, she had some Kohls Cash and also a 30% off coupon or something.

Fantastic value.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I really like our Dyson DC25

Wife recently bought the DC24, which I believe is its smaller brother. I like the maneuverability of it and the fact that it's fairly light; however, I'm not impressed with its suction power (it's rated at 115 AirWatts vs. 220 AirWatts for the DC25). So I guess that explains why I'm not impressed with it. On top of that, the motorized brush clogs up and stops spinning very easily. I have to disassemble it and clean it at the beginning of each vacuuming and often times in the middle of it once more, too. That makes the whole process a lot longer. On my cheap old Dirt Devil, the brush rarely ever gets clogged.

Simplicity or Riccar -- Made in USA (right in MO). Metal rollers,and most have metal bottom plates. I've used one for 4 years now, and it's been my best (we vacuum daily).

I'd stay away from a $400 chunk of (all) plastic (Dyson). Just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back