Just how dangerous is Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
I use LOS in all of my vehicles. I can tell when it's not in the oil, and I can tell when I've added it. Usually half a quart of the petroleum-based does the trick.

My cars run stronger with LOS. Quicker acceleration, better bottom-end torque, ......this is all based upon just driving the cars.

I've never had a problem with LOS, nor have I ever known anyone personally that's had a problem with LOS.

I've tried LOADS of oil additives over the last twenty-four years, and I always go back to LOS.

I really have to ask. How does thicker oil do all of these things. Lucas oil stabilizer has no additives and is super thick. Adding this diluted a perfectly good additive package already in the oil and thickens it. Why not save a few bucks and just go up a grade in oil thickness. Then you don't dilute the additive package of the oil. This reminds me of guys who blend different oils thinking they are getting the best of both worlds when in reality they are weakening the additive packages.
Try gear oil. It's cheaper. Or a straight 90w

I have no idea why it does it what it does, I just know I like the effect with a half a quart in the sump.

^Why not just run 1 grade higher and not dillute your additives with a simple oil thickener? It's actually better to not use the 'blank' standard LOS. Not sure if their 'synthetic' oil stabilizer has any additives in it, but either is way overpriced for simply being a way to thicken up a thinner oil. Just up your grade to a thicker oil and drop the LOS.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Why not just run 1 grade higher and not dillute your additives with a simple oil thickener? It's actually better to not use the 'blank' standard LOS. Not sure if their 'synthetic' oil stabilizer has any additives in it, but either is way overpriced for simply being a way to thicken up a thinner oil. Just up your grade to a thicker oil and drop the LOS.

You guys say that adding half a qt of LOS dilutes the oil's aditives, but what about dudes that replace a quart of oil with MMO?

You guys say that adding half a qt of LOS dilutes the oil's aditives, but what about dudes that replace a quart of oil with MMO?

It does the same thing, just the other direction. It makes the oil thinner and displaces those additives and base oil with solvents.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

It does the same thing, just the other direction. It makes the oil thinner and displaces those additives and base oil with solvents.

Lucas isnt solvents though, its Group I snot.

Aside from the soap and straight-80wt enigma, i honestly think it "sticks" to the insides of the engine and "plugs" problem areas (good holes and bad) and i wonder if LOS engines "run hotter," so, maybe it does do something
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Lucas isnt solvents though, its Group I snot.

Aside from the soap and straight-80wt enigma, i honestly think it "sticks" to the insides of the engine and "plugs" problem areas (good holes and bad) and i wonder if LOS engines "run hotter," so, maybe it does do something
21.gif

No, I'm saying MMO's effect on the oil is the opposite of LOS.

Doesn't mmo have phosphorus in it. Isn't that an anti-wear agent. It may thin the oil some however it does have some additives to replace what it's thinning.
I'm sure I'm wrong though. Will wait on the peanut gallery experts to correct me

Doesn't mmo have phosphorus in it. Isn't that an anti-wear agent. It may thin the oil some however it does have some additives to replace what it's thinning.
I'm sure I'm wrong though. Will wait on the peanut gallery experts to correct me

No, you are quite right, it does have some phosphorous, but not much else.

BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

The 'other' difference is use of MMO compared to LOS.

The former is temporary/for a specific purpose(winter use only or during an oil change or two/perhaps few hundred-1k miles prior to change for cleaning benefits).

The latter is a waste of overpaid oil thickener.

The only time I'd use it: Engine was on it's last leg and the car would make better compression with a thicker oil but nearly broke down/away from home just thicken up the oil to drive it safely home = Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

I'd be interested to see what a VOA of their 'synthetic' version has in it.

I've worked in the lubrication industry for 8 years now. I too would like to know if Lucas will hurt a newer engine. Some things I know for a fact about Lucas is it will slow oil burning in an old diesel big truck. It will quite a loud power steering pump and slow leaks. Also in industrial gear boxes that are over heating, Lucas will reduce operating temps. No other oil add I've seen will lower the temps. Not sure how it works, but does on the gear box

Its magic....has to be Doc, since the VOA basically shows its just thick as heck Brightstock with not much of anything in it.

I'm not promoting it as I don't use it myself. I'm chicken. But I have seen this stuff lower the temps in industrial gear boxes. STP and all the other thick "honey" oils will not. So it has something in it that will reduce heat. That is a fact.

I use LOS in all of my vehicles. I can tell when it's not in the oil, and I can tell when I've added it. Usually half a quart of the petroleum-based does the trick.

My cars run stronger with LOS. Quicker acceleration, better bottom-end torque, ......this is all based upon just driving the cars.

I've never had a problem with LOS, nor have I ever known anyone personally that's had a problem with LOS.

I've tried LOADS of oil additives over the last twenty-four years, and I always go back to LOS.

I really have to ask. How does thicker oil do all of these things. Lucas oil stabilizer has no additives and is super thick. Adding this diluted a perfectly good additive package already in the oil and thickens it. Why not save a few bucks and just go up a grade in oil thickness. Then you don't dilute the additive package of the oil. This reminds me of guys who blend different oils thinking they are getting the best of both worlds when in reality they are weakening the additive packages.

Ok as a lubricant salesman for years, I've sold a lot of this stuff. I'd never put it in an engine that has no problems. But I've seen it keep a "wore"out engine alive. Big rigs that burned a gallon a week went down to 1/2 a gallon a month. Also there is something more than just "think" oil here. That is proven in industrial gear oils. I've watched as customers have had problems with over heating gear boxes. They switched to full synthetic oils to no help. Then put Lucas HD Oil Stab and and watch the temp go down. This is fact proven by before and after temps. No more over heating.

Originally Posted By: Doc Holiday

Ok as a lubricant salesman for years, I've sold a lot of this stuff. I'd never put it in an engine that has no problems. But I've seen it keep a "wore"out engine alive. Big rigs that burned a gallon a week went down to 1/2 a gallon a month. Also there is something more than just "think" oil here. That is proven in industrial gear oils. I've watched as customers have had problems with over heating gear boxes. They switched to full synthetic oils to no help. Then put Lucas HD Oil Stab and and watch the temp go down. This is fact proven by before and after temps. No more over heating.

Like I've said before, in the same gear boxes the customer tried (buying from me) Mystik (Cid V ?-think oil), STP Oil Treat. and Motor Honey. None of those worked. I watched a show on Lucas once and they wouldn't disclose what the "secret" is but there is something there to take "out" heat. They said it was something simple....I just know from experience it works. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. Also we need some tests done with engines. Not some lab test as there is no sub. for real world conditions. As I said before I don't/won't use it unless my engine was about dead but there is something to it

their is no danger, their is million peoples on the road still using lucas ( god please give them the light ) and I never heard any one on internet say their engine is damage cause by using lucas.

I did use Lucas once. Had an chevy 350 that spun a bearing about 200 miles from house. Towing 24' T.T. at the time. Drained oil put two bottles in and topped it off with Castrol 20/50. It thumped like a disco all the way home. Have not used the product since then. I must say though if ya got a motor about to explode this might hold it together for a minute.

Again, you have to ask yourself, what does it or what is it supposed to stabilize in a fully formulated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back