Long term Honda Inverter Generator maintenance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this Honda 7000 Watt Inverter Generator (EM7000isa), purchased from a marina bankruptcy sale. They had 2 units in storage, still crated and both had never been started, other than factory oil, just a little gas and both started up immediately and run super quiet (Eco Throttle Mode included).

After about 1 hour use each year, one unit is sold and I want to keep the other one but am not sure if there are specific steps to prolong the life of the components ?

The unit I now have has 4 hours on the LCD Panel, brand new gel battery for the starter and I drain out all fuel after each use, including carburator. I've changed the oil once a year and have used Mobil 1 0W-30

While the inverter is stored, used a little CRC on the wheels, handles and it has no rust, spots or blemish but am wondering if something else may need routine care, ie. rubber hoses, other electrical components, something else ?

The marina had these in storage 2 years and I've had the one unit now 3 years. The only difference in EM7000is vs EU6500is are the side cosmetic/noise abatement panels around the body.

EM7000IS-large.jpg

Might want to think about using something like a 10w-30 HDEO (Rotella T5 is semi-synthetic) if you ever have to run it at high load for extended periods of time.

If this has adjustable valves those are worth checking now and again.

We have two Honda engines at work, one on a pressure washer and another on a trash pump, and the relay that enables/disables spark based on either an on/off switch or an oil level sensor has failed on one of them after very little use.

Last edited:
I use amsoil ACD in my robin subaru, and that or the rotella noted is good. Some LC20 in the oil to protect against corosion and oxidation is also good.

The fact that it has a battery is a major liability, IMO. Id get a very small, smart float charger and remove the battery from the generator and then keep it on float elsewhere. Id also consider removing it and adapting the setup to use a regular automotive battery in a plastic box (which you can get from marine stores).

Id also consider getting some fogging oil and fog the cylinder when not using it.

Fuel stabilizer is also important, but Id run the thing dry whenever I can.

That's simply the 390cc Honda engine. They are very long life engines, with few problems. I'd change the oil regularly, and run it up to temperature regularly. Unless you store in inside, in an airconditioned home.

The hours you put on it running it regularly won't add up to much of it's total lifespan. Those engines will easily achieve 1000 hours with normal maintenance and no special oils. And many more hours with proper maintenance. I'd expect at least 2500 hours from a BITOGer. So, even if you run it for 12 hours/year, over 10 years time, you've not used up much of it's life.

There is an oil additive product called "camguard" that helps prevent internal engine corrosion during storage. You could consider it. I use it in my aircraft and company aircraft. Corrosion has been significantly reduced.

Last edited:
JRed,JHZR2 and Cujet - thank you for the suggestions and comments.

I use a trickle charger with a pulse controller for battery, same one is in use on all cars and has helped to keep batteries going normally 3-5 years.

Found this for LC20 - wonder if available at WallyWorld or any local Napa, AdvAuto, PepBoys etc.

Found this for camguard, same question as above.

My experience is Honda makes very long-lived generators.
It's a brushless design; the main wiring is all coated with lacquer. I'd guess the inverter board is epoxy sealed.
Just keep rats out of it and the wiring should be fine.

I have a Kipor (a Honda clone/knockoff) of the EU6500is. They did not get the rubber quite right, so engine oil leaks onto the ground in between uses. I run it for preventative maintenance twice/year, and try to keep the gas in separate tanks rather than in the generator's tank. I also keep a cover on it. I've had it apart to replace the inverter board. There's not much exposed to maintain, but, a rat could ruin it. It's sealed up enough that I don't think a rat could get in there. That pic of the EM7000is looks like it has an open bottom.

>> a rat could ruin it... the EM7000is looks like it has an open bottom.

don't have rat problem in my area as ferile cats roam the streets days and nights. I do keep gas separated in that the tank and carb is always empty and clean in-between use.

since it appears most of the replies thus far have been fluid related, I gather there is not much else I can do and no fear of the hoses, rubber, parts themselves aging or it's not a known issue.

appreciate all the replies!

Last edited:
henni,

That sure is a NICE genset. How you preserve it ought to depend on what its purpose is.

I see you're in Florida. Come hurricane season, you'll probably have plenty of warning so you can pull the genset out of "mothballs" and get it prepped to work. So storing it without fuel in the tank, etc., makes sense, if this is its main or only purpose. The downside is that you may discover, at the last minute, that there's an unforeseen problem that has developed some time during the several months it's been in storage, and with the hurricane approaching you've got to scramble to get it right. (Sorry about the whiff of paranoia; it comes from long experience).

If, however, you potentially need the generator for some other use--to handle an unplanned power outage or to support an off-grid worksite, for example, then I'd follow Cujet's advice above. Run the genset an hour per month under load. Keep the tank topped off with STABIL-ized gas. And therefore be ready to place it into service immediately, if necessary, without drama.

Cheers!
Mark

marco246,

I *do* run the Inverter at least once a year since FPL usually has at least one outage of 4+ hours.

That gives me an excuse to fuel up with Premium Gas and usually the very next day, I change the engine oil, lube all metal parts and wipe down any other parts that have dust, spiders, etc. The unit is stored in a secure area, with some sheets over it so it's always very clean when I take it out for a spin the next time.

I drain all fuel out and empty the carb so no need for stabil.

Thank you for the suggestions and comments!

When does one need to be concerned with "loss of field/excitation"(correct term?) on seldom used generators?

From another site:

"Residual magnetism in the generator exciter field allows the generator to build up voltage during start-up. This magnetism is sometimes lost due to shelf time or improper operation, among other reasons. Restoring this residual magnetism is possible and is sometimes referred to as "flashing the exciter field".

I do not know what type of capacitors (if any, and there probably are some) the electronics uses. Some capacitors can be damaged by freezing,(though the freeze temperature is below 32 F). The point being that it is somewhat wise to not allow any electronic device (if you do not know for sure that it does not have capacitors that can be damaged by freezing) to be exposed to temperatures below 32 F. That said I know there are many electronic devices that do get exposed to temperatures below 32 F and are not damaged. However almost all of those do not have electrolytic capacitors in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back