Mix 5w30 with 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing oil in a couple of weeks in the 2.4 World Engine, that is in my Jeep Compass.

The cap says 5w20. This car was just bought & is new to me.

My question: Can I mix the 5w30 and 0w20 bottles of Mobil that I already have?

I am out of 5w20, but want to use up my stash of the 0w20 and 5w30 without any potential damage to this new engine. It has 39,000 miles on it.

GL

I wouldn't while under warranty, best to stick with 0/5w20 oil with the right certifications to avoid any warranty issues.

If it wasn't under warranty I would mix away though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be a problem, though if you are under warranty they might ask for proof of proper oil changes (should something ever happen).

Mixing 0w20 and 5w30 will typically give you a heavy 20-weight or light 30-weight.

If you want to stay in the 20w range with the M1 you could get away with mixing up to about a quart and a half of the 5w30 with the 0w20. Your Jeep takes 5qts? I think that would put you right at the limit for the 20w range. Depending on how much of the 5w30 you have I'd just do 50/50 but that's me.

Harldy ever do my vehicles or my motorcycle have all the same oil in them (meaning it's usually a home brew of some sort) and I can never tell any difference in performance. I certainly don't think I am creating a better oil I just mix to get rid of partial bottles. I mix brands and weights. Pretty soon here I am gonna sit down and calculate what is going into my Subaru at next change. I've got 3 partial qts and 2 partial 5qt jugs to deal with from 5w20 to 5w50 and 4 different brands. I'll get the blender out and make a nice thick 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back