2008 Dodge Ram (5.7 hemi) oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck manual suggest that I use 5w20 motor oil and I run Amsoil with a wix filter. Aimsoil only makes a 0w20 and that is what I've been running, but I'm curious if I can run 5w30 which is the same as I put in my wife Durango instead of the 0w20 because it is in stock where I buy the Amsoil and the 0w20 has to be ordered. Will I be ok running the 5w30 here in the south where cold weather isn't much of a problem?

By the way, I have 146,500 miles on the truck with no problems and I've changed the oil every 22,000 miles and the filters every 11,000 miles. I'm pro Amsoil!

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree. But Amsoil 5W-30 is very good and the affects on MDS are very minimal. I know some people that are using 5W-40 on a MDS Hemi and it is not affected by the higher viscosity. So if it will be more convenient for you go ahead and use 5W-30 but I am a fan if you got this far why would you change now?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Brigadier said:
but I am a fan if you got this far why would you change now?

Mainly because of not having to order it and then both vehicles would be using the same allowing me to buy it by the case, truck holds 7 qts and the Durango 5. I could keep a couple of extra qts around for the filter changes.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
i assure you,on 09 and above, the mds will not function, i don't see why an 08 would function differently.

Because the MDS was programmed and engineered to work within a certain range it will work with a 5W-30. If MDS would only work with a 5W-20 then it would likely never work at all because motor oil is a viscous fluid and the viscosity will change with temperature and engine operating temperature the viscosity of a 20 viscosity fluid and a 40 viscosity fluid is more often within a 3-5 CST range if MDS only worked under this narrow parameters it would not work at all if it only would work in the 20 viscosity range. Also do you know the cost of producing a engine system that was engineered and produced to function on a such a narrow scale would cost? More than what GM/Chrysler is willing to invest.

5-30 is to thick and will cause the mds not to work. don't know how this will affect the rest of the engine.

This is complete bunk. MDS is remarkably tolerant of almost any oil. All that will happen is operation will be very slightly different, no damage at all.

The only reason to run the 0w-20 is for fuel mileage.

too man guys have tried higher than the 5-20 wt only to have it screw up their mds system. don't take my word for it, go out and buy a hemi and try it yourself.

too man guys have tried higher than the 5-20 wt only to have it screw up their mds system. don't take my word for it, go out and buy a hemi and try it yourself.

I used it in an 06 Hemi with MDS. I also told you I know some people are using 5W-40 with no problems at all. The viscosity difference at operating temps between a 20 and 30 oil is very very small and it is so small a hemi will not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
My truck manual suggest that I use 5w20 motor oil and I run Amsoil with a wix filter. Amsoil only makes a 0w20 .............

By the way, I have 146,500 miles on the truck with no problems and I've changed the oil every 22,000 miles and the filters every 11,000 miles. I'm pro Amsoil!

Thanks! I can assure you Amsoil makes both 0W-20 and 5W-20 in a variety of product levels. They make 3 0W-20's and 4 5W-20's.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
5-30 is to thick and will cause the mds not to work. don't know how this will affect the rest of the engine.

This is complete bunk. MDS is remarkably tolerant of almost any oil. All that will happen is operation will be very slightly different, no damage at all.

The only reason to run the 0w-20 is for fuel mileage.

Bingo, Im running T6 in my commander mds works fine.

The dealer gave me a hard time on a warranty claim, I had to prove I was running 5W-20.

The Amsoil XL has been showing great UOA even when I am towing over 4000 pounds.

i assure you,on 09 and above, the mds will not function, i don't see why an 08 would function differently.

Really??? Mine works just fine on a non Xw20 oil and 20 mpg on the highway.

Hello?

I had a 5.7, and I upgraded to a 6.1. My ownership goes all the way back to august 05, so I'm not new to the breed.

The facts remain the same, MDS Hemi's are very tolerant of almost ANY oil grade. You can't possibly believe that Chrysler set the engine up so sensitively it could only run on one grade of oil?

If you're out of warranty run whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
My truck manual suggest that I use 5w20 motor oil and I run Amsoil with a wix filter. Aimsoil only makes a 0w20 and that is what I've been running, but I'm curious if I can run 5w30 which is the same as I put in my wife Durango instead of the 0w20 because it is in stock where I buy the Amsoil and the 0w20 has to be ordered. Will I be ok running the 5w30 here in the south where cold weather isn't much of a problem?

Amsoil actually does offer 5W20 in a couple lines as the resident Amsoil dealer Pablo said somewhere ^^^. If Amsoil is your preferred brand they have the correct weight for your truck.

Are you the original owner of the truck or did you buy it used? If you are the original owner those 22K OCI's are a BAD idea warranty wise. In 08 your truck would have come with a Lifetime Power Train Warranty. The MAXIMUM allowed for OCI on an 08 Ram with any gas engine is 6 months or 6000 miles( whichever comes 1st ). There is an OLM light( or a display on higher end models )but if it does not trip by the 6/6000 you have to change it to preserve that LPTW.

Note - Don't forget the mandatory every 5 year LPTW inspection by a dealer as well. It has to be done within 60 days of the 5 year anniversary( every 5 years )of the date of purchase. My 08 would have been due next year( I had a 2008 1500 QC 4WD SLT BH w/ HEMI ). So if you bought your 08 new, in late 2007, that means you are due for the inspection this year. Just an FYI.

If no LPTW then run whatever OCI's you want but if you do have it you have already put it at risk. IF you ever do have an engine problem the dealer/Chrysler is going to check maintenance history and you will be up the creek if you can only show 22K OCI's. Start following the warranty requirements if you have that LPTW and drop down to Amsoil XL or OE and change it within the allowed for time frame. Those 2 Amsoil lines are very good and they also are the only 2 lines that offer API certified oils which you also need for your warranty.

As far as the whole oil weight debate. Is this a Ram 1500( I forget if you said what model you had anywhere to this point )? If it is a 1500 then it has MDS and the oil used matters beyond warranty reasons. If it is a Power Wagon, 2500, or 3500 then you do not have MDS and actually can run a 30 weight. The 5.7L, other than MDS, is no different internally in 08 than it was in 03 when it came out. It spec'd 30 weight in 03 and 04 and then again in 07+ on HD's over 14000 GVWR. As long as there is no MDS, or it is disabled by a programmer, 30 weight can be run no problem.

MDS by design runs off the oil pressure so the weight used does matter. Special solenoids open when it activates allowing high pressure oil to travel through oil galleries to the MDS lifters. That high pressure oil then depresses a pin that lets the lifter collapse on itself as part of the cylinder deactivation process. It all works off the oil pressure.

I respectfully disagree with those who say you can run any weight oil and have no problems with MDS. Chrysler is very specific that if you have MDS to ONLY run 5W20( 0W20 would be ok as it is still a 20 weight at operating temp ). I would not run 30 or 40 weight, of any variety or brand, in a 5.7L w/ MDS. Even if it "just changes how it works" that means it is not operating as the mfg designed it to. I will go with the company that designed and built it vs the internet folks who say Chrysler is full of it.

Stick with the 20 weight. You said that cold temps are not a factor for you so 0W20 is giving you nothing over a 5W20. 5W20 should be cheaper. Run the Amsoil XL or OE, in 5W20, and change it by the max allowed for 6/6000 for warranty. If no warranty then run whatever Amsoil line you want and for as long as you want but stick with a 20 weight for mechanical reasons. There is nothing wrong with 20 weight oil. You have 145K on your truck now as proof.

Last edited:
More baloney. Despite the identical hardware used in the new 6.4 motor (full MDS) Chrysler specifies 40 weight.

Hello?

I don't mind the warranty argument, but the idea that MDS is some kind of 'sensitive' system is complete baloney. The specs for the new gen Hemis really do prove it. No one here thinks factory recommendations are full of anything. The post I made was specifically directed at the comment implying that MDS will not function without 20w oil. That is simply not true.

Last edited:
More baloney. Despite the identical hardware used in the new 6.4 motor (full MDS) Chrysler specifies 40 weight.

Hello?

I don't mind the warranty argument, but the idea that MDS is some kind of 'sensitive' system is complete baloney. The specs for the new gen Hemis really do prove it. No one here thinks factory recommendations are full of anything. The post I made was specifically directed at the comment implying that MDS will not function without 20w oil. That is simply not true.

You will not get an argument from me on this one Steve.

It's important to note that I don't need 4 pages to point out that if someone would look beyond just the manual's specifications they might see something!

There are a zillion Hemis out there, it's one of the most reliable engines ever built. And they're all not running 20w oil.

It's important to note that I don't need 4 pages to point out that if someone would look beyond just the manual's specifications they might see something!

There are a zillion Hemis out there, it's one of the most reliable engines ever built. And they're all not running 20w oil.

Steve I know you do need 4 pages of info to point it out. But if you like I can provide 4 pages of info that will back up exactly what you are saying.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back