Briggs & Stratton Professional series engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Originally Posted By: Roadking
Kevin-

Thank you for the common sense response. It echoes what I’ve been able to dig up on my own, that the B&S engines are fine. The Simplicity dealer told me that all engines today are good…some are just better and cost more. He has known me for years and he knows the engineer in me has to have some unbiased independent information before I can make a decision…that’s my cross to bear (I feel the right profession chose me).

What do you think of the K57 vs. K46 transmission? Check that off my list and I’m off to buy another tractor.

We have two K57 transmissions. One is 14 years old and the other is 11. Neither has ever caused us any trouble what so ever and we follow the book on oil changes which is every 250 hours I think. The K46 is a throw away unit and cant be serviced from what I understand. Oh, and the K57 are used on some pretty steep hills as well and knock on wood they are holding up good. Just my two cents.

The K57 is a non serviceable transmission, the oil is designed to last the life of the unit. You can confirm this a tuff-torqs web site

http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=2

Originally Posted By: kbowley

The K57 is a non serviceable transmission, the oil is designed to last the life of the unit. You can confirm this a tuff-torqs web site

http://www.tufftorq.com/level4.asp?ID=2

That's true per TT, but you can service them by removing and inverting the unit to drain from the top vent port.

I haven't done one, but I believe some members of BITOG have changed the oil on K46's. I know members over at tractorbynet and mytractorforum have.

Joel

I've got a Scag Freedom Z with a 26 hp Briggs ELS and my neighbor has a Ferris zero turn with the same Briggs ELS. Both run great (knock on wood) with about 250 hours on each. My neighbor also has a lawn tractor with a Kohler 25hp that has similar hours and it smokes like a locomotive. He's going to have to do head gaskets soon. Briggs long ago solved the air intake fiasco with the waffle-style filters that let unfiltered air into the intake, eating away the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back