Briggs & Stratton Professional series engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in the process of buying a premium lawn tractor with a Briggs and Stratton Professional series engine and I keep hearing it’s a entry level (whatever that means) engine. I am used to either Kohler’s or Kawasaki’s in this type of equipment. Does anyone know how many hours this engine is rated at (I understand engine manufactures rate their engines in hours). I cannot find much info on this engine, which worries me a little. Is this a 10 year engine for the average homeowner or should I look elsewhere? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Entry level means,non professional (private homeowner/user),low cost,non highest quality.Chevrolet Spark is entry level,Corvette is "top shelf"....

I too have tried to find more information on this engine. The best I can come up with is that it is a glorified Briggs intek with some upgrades. My Dad has a Briggs 16 hp intek els (405777) and I hate it. It runs strong but has design flaws in the filtration system. It has burned oil since it was new. It now has 350 hours and still runs strong but we check the gas and add oil after every mowing. Many companies are using this engine to meet a price point it seems. I would think it would last a homeowner 10 years but I just dont care for them. They are no Kawasaki, Kolhler Command or Vanguard that is for sure.

Seems like nobody gives a care about quality any more and the race is to the bottom of the barrel to see who can sell what the cheapest. We went yesterday to look at a low end Scag and it had this engine on it. Maybe they have fixed the problems my Dad has had I dont know but maybe some profession mowing guys would be able to give accurate info on this engine.

Originally Posted By: Roadking

I’m in the process of buying a premium lawn tractor with a Briggs and Stratton Professional series engine and I keep hearing it’s a entry level (whatever that means) engine. I am used to either Kohler’s or Kawasaki’s in this type of equipment. Does anyone know how many hours this engine is rated at (I understand engine manufactures rate their engines in hours). I cannot find much info on this engine, which worries me a little. Is this a 10 year engine for the average homeowner or should I look elsewhere? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

email briggs and ask, theydohave a number.
I have used 2 briggs engines in home service for 16years each. parts are cheaper than Honda

I wouldn't buy a premium lawn tractor with a Briggs in it. If it truly is a "premium" level, I would expect a Kawasaki (or at least a Kohler.) I'd pass and continue the search.

The hour rating is normally for emissions compliance. The hours the engine will run has many variables like quality of maintenance and operating conditions.
If it is similar to the Briggs used in the newer entry lever JD mowers, they seem to be holding up fairly well.

I find it interesting that the Husqvarna equivalent that I looked at ($800 less) has a Kawasaki engine. The primium dealer is selling Husky's as a alternative price point lawn tractor...makes me wonder if the up and coming companies like Husqvarna are the way to go?

The premium companies are so strapped to make a profit to keep the wheels turning that they need to cut corners at any cost, mostly quality. I am not worried about the first three years or so, its years four thru ten (out of warranty) that I am on my own.

B&S Professional series is the engine used in SAE Mini Baja races.

They seem to hold up really well to abuse.

Is this a 10 year engine for the average homeowner or should I look elsewhere?

I would post this question on Lawn Site. The lawnsite.com forum is for guys in the lawn care business. They can probably tell you more than you want to know about this engine.

Good Luck,
Bryan

As an aside, those single cyl. Intek motors usually need a head gasket when they start burning copious amounts of oil.

And yes the air box setup is junk.

Originally Posted By: moklock
As an aside, those single cyl. Intek motors usually need a head gasket when they start burning copious amounts of oil.

And yes the air box setup is junk.

The one I referenced earlier in is a twin cylinder and yes they are known for head gasket issues as well. The filtration is so pathetic that Im sure this engine has ingested enough dirt to kill a horse. Frankly, Im surprised it runs as good as it does but they usually do this just before a rod breaks.

I own a small engine shop so I have a pretty large pool of averages by which to judge the quality of an engine.

In my opinion there is no "best" engine. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, are all good when they run, when they break they are junk. Briggs' issues with air filtration was solved years ago, Kohler's high hp courage singles blowing up under high pto loads from block flex is fixed. They all have their issues but generally they are all decent and if maintained will outlast the equipment. I have a commercial customer thats puts some serious hrs on his equipment. We replaced a 3k hr Vanguard with an ELS 3 seasons ago. I just serviced it and the hr meter just clicked past 5k, thats 1700 hrs on the ELS and it still runs great, and thats in 30 hr weeks commercial service. Last winter I put a shortblock on a JD 445 with a 22 hp Kawasaki at 330 hrs-Junk. So, does that make the ELS a better engine? No.

Think about it, a cheap flathead lawnmower engine will run the wheels of the deck and a Briggs pro series has much higher quality components than a old 12 hp I/C flathead yet I have seen those old I/C's still going with 4k hrs. I have replaced several of the plastic honda cam belts...never had to on a briggs, does that make the honda junk? I've seen every motor out there with various amount of use and maintenance and every one of them have failures. Personally I think Briggs makes a very good engine with very very few failures away from these forums, and so goes for the other brands...they are a fantastic engine until they break and I have seen them all break as well as seen them with crazy amounts of hours.

I certainly wouldnt base my choice of a tractor on the engine brand. Transmissions fail far more frequently and that should be very high on the list of components to compare. Quality of build, fit and finish, quality of attachments and mounting, ease of service, warranty, comfort, minimum plastic, resale value and so on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbowley

I certainly wouldnt base my choice of a tractor on the engine brand. Transmissions fail far more frequently and that should be very high on the list of components to compare. Quality of build, fit and finish, quality of attachments and mounting, ease of service, warranty, comfort, minimum plastic, resale value and so on.

Amen kb!
11.gif

I also suggest this to anyone with this type of question. Trans-axles, decks, deck hardware, steering, controls are the stuff that takes the brunt of the abuse and will break way before the engine will.

As Cujet posted some time ago:

"Today, there is a really easy to determine new small engine lifespan. The EPA has a code on the compliance sticker.

Small engines like push mowers.

A=500hr=extended
B=250hr=intermediate
C=125hr=moderate

The same goes for larger engines (think 15-20HP)

A=1000hr=extended
B=500hr=intermediate
C=250hr=moderate"

I would bet that the Briggs engine in question is a C or a B rating. Most are unless you go high-end Honda, Kawasaki or Kohler.

These numbers do not represent how the long the engine will last. It's the estimated number of hours the engine will remain emissions compliant.

Joel

Last edited:
Kevin-

Thank you for the common sense response. It echoes what I’ve been able to dig up on my own, that the B&S engines are fine. The Simplicity dealer told me that all engines today are good…some are just better and cost more. He has known me for years and he knows the engineer in me has to have some unbiased independent information before I can make a decision…that’s my cross to bear (I feel the right profession chose me).

What do you think of the K57 vs. K46 transmission? Check that off my list and I’m off to buy another tractor.

What do you think of the K57 vs. K46 transmission? Check that off my list and I’m off to buy another tractor.

Either are a great transaxle, that have been in use for many years. Tufftorq/Kanzaki make an excellent product.

As you probably know, the other competitor is Hydrogear- who makes a good product too, but given this range of trans, I prefer Tufftorq. John Deere has used TT for decades for a reason.

Joel

Kevin-

Thank you for the common sense response. It echoes what I’ve been able to dig up on my own, that the B&S engines are fine. The Simplicity dealer told me that all engines today are good…some are just better and cost more. He has known me for years and he knows the engineer in me has to have some unbiased independent information before I can make a decision…that’s my cross to bear (I feel the right profession chose me).

We have two K57 transmissions. One is 14 years old and the other is 11. Neither has ever caused us any trouble what so ever and we follow the book on oil changes which is every 250 hours I think. The K46 is a throw away unit and cant be serviced from what I understand. Oh, and the K57 are used on some pretty steep hills as well and knock on wood they are holding up good. Just my two cents.

The k46 is the lightest duty transmission Tuff-Torq Manufactures. It was horrid 10 years ago but they have improved, they beefed up the intermediate shaft bushings, the housing is stiffer to prevent bind loads under high torque, improved the quality of the pump components. This does not infer that the K46 is anything more than a very light duty unit designed to mow and snow blow. It weighs but 30 lbs and It is rated for 110 inch lbs of torque (which converts to about 4 hp using torque/input rpms/gear reduction) at the axle, essentially meaning 100 lbs of force an inch from the axle. And think, they put these ridiculous 24+ hp engines in a machine that can only deliver 4 hp to the ground. My "little" 12 hp WheelHorse would pull it backwards with no effort at all. But hp sells, a 10 hp engine is more than enough to drive a 42 inch deck in heavy grass up and down hills. Trust me, I have a few of them.

The K57 is more substantial, with a rating of 200 in. lbs. continuous duty, it will handle most chores. It is not heavy enough for any ground engaging such as plowing but stouter than the wimpy K46. The K66 is a moderate ground engaging, K72 is very stout, K92 bullet proof.

Tuff-torq also manufactures a John Deere only, K40. It is used in the L series and is real light...mowing good terrain only. The X300 uses a K46, the x500 is ground engaging using k66 and K72 transmissions depending on model.

If you plan to just mow your lawn and blow snow, a K46 will do, a K56 will handle hilly terrain and tow a few hundred lbs around, a K66 and up will handle plowing, grading, tilling etc.

Last edited:
As has been said countless times, the engine will last a long time if properly maintained regardless of who makes it. B & S makes an engine to fit every market niche imaginable. Their "professional series" are not purely commercial grade engines, nor are they cheap throwaways-- I think they're a good compromise merging decent quality with value.

Yes, the trend is for engine manufacturers to substitute clever marketing for quality materials and workmanship. This is true of all of them, including B & S. With the competition from China, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

LOTS of manufacturers are migrating toward Chinese engines, slapping their own label on them, and offering a cheaper product. In these days of throwaway products where price wins over quality for most buyers, cheaper = better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back