ZF transmission in Audi what fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has A ZF Transmission in his Audi, it is the AWD the transmission is a ZF5hp19fla. It asks for ZF Lifeguard fluid or Audi/VW oil no G 052162 a1/a2/a6. The town we are in does not have this and he isn't willing to take the steps necessary to get it. So My question is for any out there with ZF fluid experience please come forward and share. Thanks....

Just order ATF from Amsoil. I assume (but you need to verify) it would take their multi vehicle ATF. They list all vehicles and the lubricant specs on their website. It arrives in about 2 days.

Yes its expensive, but so was the Audi. Amsoil ATF is one of the best available period. I do not buy Amsoil oil because I think PU is just as good and I can get that at a few Walmarts. But I do order (and just received) a case of gallons of ATF along with PSF and 4 Stroke oil.

Mobil 1 ATF lists G052162A2 on the back of the bottle as an recommended application for it. I've used it in VW transaxles calling for G052162A2 with good success.

Valvoline MaxLife is another fluid that is acceptable for the ZF transmissions. And if you have O'Reilly Auto near you, they carry Valvoline Full Synthetic Import Multi-Vehicle ATF which is the same thing as MaxLife without the seal conditioners. As long as you find a full synthetic Dexron III(H) fluid and it has the LT 71141 spec it will be good to use.

I'm using MaxLife in my Audi this weekend to do a full exchange. $15.99/gallon at Autozone. Dealer wants that much for 1 liter of the Pentosin ATF1.

I'd only use the properly spec'd oil meaning the ZF fluid or the oem VW/Audi fluid and avoid the all purpose fluids and especially don't use Amsoil as they don't test their oils against approvals.

Modern trannys are very expensive and complicated. They can be sensitive to proper fluids. It's not worth to save a few $$ and not have the correct fluid.
Keep in mind ZF was really the first, and maybe still the only, tranny maker to use a true lifetime fluid. By mixing in something that is not could be an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmk
.......especially don't use Amsoil as they don't test their oils against approvals.

What? Of course Amsoil tests their oils. Please don't just write stuff on the internet.

My question for the OP. What model and year Audi? What engine?

I'd only use the properly spec'd oil meaning the ZF fluid or the oem VW/Audi fluid and avoid the all purpose fluids and especially don't use Amsoil as they don't test their oils against approvals.

Modern trannys are very expensive and complicated. They can be sensitive to proper fluids. It's not worth to save a few $$ and not have the correct fluid.
Keep in mind ZF was really the first, and maybe still the only, tranny maker to use a true lifetime fluid. By mixing in something that is not could be an issue.

+1 with respect to your ignorant post about Amsoil not testing.

People who buy Amsoil are not buying it to save money, at least not dollars/QT but to get high quality products that generally exceed what the dealer sells. And depending upon the use and which oil, they typically last a lot longer than OEM or other oils available.

If your vehicle is spec'ed for an Amsoil ATF (its on the Amsoil website) you would be hard pressed to find a better ATF anywhere regardless of cost.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What? Of course Amsoil tests their oils. Please don't just write stuff on the internet.

He he. You mean they don't have a guy just randomly mixing chemicals and base stocks in a lab and putting random product labels on the result?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

He he. You mean they don't have a guy just randomly mixing chemicals and base stocks in a lab and putting random product labels on the result?
wink.gif

Of course that's how Amsoil makes their products! And that's why I use their ATF, Severe Gear gear lube, and power steering fluid.
grin.gif

Oh, come on! We all know that Amsoil is just Mobil 1 mixed with a little bit of whale oil illegally imported from Japan. Since Mobil 1 is the best oil of any type ever made and that whale oil is good stuff, there's no reason for Amsoil to test anything. The only possible issue is with wild animals like racoons, elk, and carnivorous ferns occasionally being attracted to the nautral whale smell and trying to eat the machine with Amsoil in it, but that doesn't happen much.

Last edited:
.......especially don't use Amsoil as they don't test their oils against approvals.

My question for the OP. What model and year Audi? What engine?

Now come on Pablo and crew you know what I mean.

Amsoil does not do "engine sequence" or "bench" tests on their oil--fact end of story. That is the way you test fluids.
They also don't get "approvals" against manufactures specs. Sure they might test and do their "ball bearing" test, etc. but no real testing. Until Amsoil does properly accepted testing, and stop implying that they do, Amsoil is just another MLM looking to make money.

So back to my original point: don't use a non oem or non spec'd tranny fluid. You can mess around with oils but not tranny fluids. So to the OP, have your friend get the correct stuff.

Last edited:
Please don't just put Amsoil in. It's a good ATF, but not for this application. I remember when I was picking out fluid a year or two ago, Amsoil stated on their website that they didn't carry any fluids which they would recommend for this application. I don't know if that's changed or not.

My Passat has the ZF 5hp19fl as well. I used Pentosin ATF1 as it is an OEM replacement. You can also use the Esso fluid which has the genuine VW/Audi part number. A regular pan drop fluid/filter change will only change out 6 of the 9 quarts. The other 3 quarts are stuck in the torque converter and such. The fluids need to be compatible.

I've heard that Redline D4 and Mobil 1 ATF have been tried before, but with the problems those Tiptronics give people, I'd stick with the OEM recommendations that we know work.

The fill procedure is kind of tedious. Make sure you don't under-fill it. You will notice problems.

Amsoil does not do "engine sequence" or "bench" tests on their oil--fact end of story. That is the way you test fluids.
They also don't get "approvals" against manufactures specs. Sure they might test and do their "ball bearing" test, etc. but no real testing. Until Amsoil does properly accepted testing, and stop implying that they do, Amsoil is just another MLM looking to make money.

You are totally incorrect. Simply not true. They test all their oils and it's easy to quickly disprove you, because they have two full API lines. You are lying and making stuff up for some bizarre reason. Hate? Ignorance?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Valvoline MaxLife is another fluid that is acceptable for the ZF transmissions. And if you have O'Reilly Auto near you, they carry Valvoline Full Synthetic Import Multi-Vehicle ATF which is the same thing as MaxLife without the seal conditioners. As long as you find a full synthetic Dexron III(H) fluid and it has the LT 71141 spec it will be good to use.

I'm using MaxLife in my Audi this weekend to do a full exchange. $15.99/gallon at Autozone. Dealer wants that much for 1 liter of the Pentosin ATF1.

Well, I completed the fluid exchange this weekend, and the shudder in the 2-3 upshift has gone away. I used 12 quarts of MaxLife in the 9.5 quart system, dropping the pan and changing the filter the first time then draining and filling twice after that. Shifts quite nicely.

I had been emailing Valvoline tech support about their Import Multi-Vehicle, and they stated that it is the same forumulation as the older MaxLife that was not Dexron VI approved, and that O'Reilly's was testing out the market for the product. If there was enought demand for it, they would be making it available in other stores and adding a 1 gallong container, too.

You are totally incorrect. Simply not true. They test all their oils and it's easy to quickly disprove you, because they have two full API lines. You are lying and making stuff up for some bizarre reason. Hate? Ignorance?

OK. Maybe I'm wrong then. So provide me with a link to their engine sequence tests for all, or any, manufactures.

Also show me where BMW, MB, VW/Audi, and GM have given APPROVAL for their specs via engine sequence testing.

This is an old topic Pablo and unless Amsoil has ponied up they are just another MLM.
Now RP and RL are similar however they are ethical marketing companies and don't say what they can't support with data.
They also aren't MLM's and use normal, conventional marketing channels.

Look forward to your data. Thanks.

OK. Maybe I'm wrong then. So provide me with a link to their engine sequence tests for all, or any, manufactures.

Also show me where BMW, MB, VW/Audi, and GM have given APPROVAL for their specs via engine sequence testing.

This is an old topic Pablo and unless Amsoil has ponied up they are just another MLM.
Now RP and RL are similar however they are ethical marketing companies and don't say what they can't support with data.

OK. I stand corrected on the API testing--I see those sequence and bench tests data.

Please provide non-API sequence engine testing data if you have it for manufacture approvals such as any long life approvals from MB, BMW, VW/Audi, and GM.

What an ignorant post. Do you really think that the other corporations are not out to make money? Only MLM's do that?

Sorry, but Amsoil is a great product. And it compares favorably to ANYTHING on the market. I have it in my two most expensive motors, one is a BBC with enough machine work to make you cry.

MLM marketing is actually very effective, and makes a LOT of people money. Unlike Exxon-Mobil where only the top execs clean up.

Expecting a small company to match all the ridiculous approvals and specifications is very unrealistic and shows a severe lack of understanding about how business works in the real world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back