Amsoil and Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted from another Forum:

quote:

by Hib Halverson
Independent Oil Test Results; Which Oil Really is Best?

Four Ball Wear Test, (ASTM D 4172) (60 kg pressure @ 150 deg. C, 1800 rpm for 1 hour duration)

"In the Four Ball Wear Test, the smaller the wear scar, the better the protection.

Tests conducted by an **independent lab**, (the Falex Corporation), show that

AMSOIL series 2000 20W-50 Synthetic Oil provides up to four times more

protection than other popular synthetic and conventional oils."

Ok, VNers, we went through all this last Spring when we got the Amsoil flim-flam the first time. I think what I should just do is say, simply that: The four-ball test is irrelevant when you consider what goes on with oil inside an actual working engine. This is why Amsoil relies on the four-ball test to try to get you to buy their multi-level marketed product rather than testing the stuff in a running engine.

In a real-world situation, like...inside the engine of your Corvette, Red Line is clearly superior. I've been looking around for test data to support that belief. Interestingly, I got my first lead right off the back of an Amsoil bottle. Recently, Amsoil introduced a new race oil with considerable advertising. An aggressive marketing strategy published ASTM D 4172 antiwear test data on each container of oil. This data compared Amsoil to Red Line oil and other industry leaders. I imagine the Red Line people were flattered that Amsoil chose it as a benchmark in synthetic lubrication.

Let's take a sec and talk about the test itself. It is American Standard Test Method (ATSM) # D 4172-82 and is known to lab types as the "four-ball" test. It is a very common test used to quantify the ability of a lubricant to lubricate. Specifically, it is used to determine the relative wear-preventative properties of lubricating fluids under prescribed test conditions. Three 12.7mm (0.5-in) steel balls (AISI standard E- 52100 steel, 64-66 Rockwell-C) are clamped together and covered with the lubricant to be evaluated. A fourth 12.7mm steel ball, called the "top ball," is pressed into the cavity formed by the first three balls with a force of either 147 or 392 Newtons (15 or 40 Kg). The temperature of the lubricant is regulated to 75 deg. C (167 deg F) while the top ball is rotated at 1200 rpm for one hour. Lubricants are compared by using the average size of the scar diameters on the lower three balls. The test can be run under different force, rpm and time parameters, which as you will see, Amsoil and Red Line chose to do. More detailed information is available in ATSM publications that one can find in a good technical library.

On examining the data printed on the Amsoil bottle, I noted, expectedly, that the testing, which Amsoil commissioned and funded, showed Amsoil as being superior to Red Line. I became suspicious, when I read closer then realized how large a "margin of superiority" Amsoil was trying to convince me existed. Remember....buyer beware.

Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation was also very interested in Amsoil's claims...to the point of running their own battery of tests. First, the obvious: Red Line bought some of the new Amsoil Series 2000 race oil and had it tested according to the ASTM D 4172 Wear Test under the same parameters Amsoil used. Red Line found that unused Amsoil tested as advertised. Next, Red Line departed from the test conditions a bit. They actually tried Amsoil in an engine. Whoa...an amazing concept, eh? Red Line filled the crankcase of a 4.0L V6 engine in a Ford Aerostar van and began driving. They took samples at 338 miles and 919 miles. These samples were compared to those of unused Red Line 20W50 and Red Line 20W50 taken from the same Ford V6 operating under the same conditions as the Amsoil Series 2000 was run, except for one thing....the Red Line 20W50 was run for twenty times the Amsoil mileage, *twenty-thousand miles*. RL 20W50 was also tested after 2252 miles in a 2.0L Turbo in a Saab and RL 40 Wt. race oil was tested after 1300 miles of drag racing and street use in an LT5 out of a ZR-1 that is, coincidentally, by a subscriber to the ZR-1 List.

The results of these tests were just what I expected. While Amsoil might be good stuff coming right out of a bottle; after it's been run in an engine for relatively short periods, it clearly falls short of a lubricant that I would put in my Corvettes or, for that matter, the engines in my other two "beater" cars.

As a manufacturer of high-performance synthetic lubricants interested in making oils that enhance the durability of engines that use them, Red Line does a great deal of testing of antiwear additives, friction reducers and synthetic base oils. There are many components which it could add to its products to make them perform better in ASTM tests on unused oils. However, their goal is selecting a specific oil chemistry that adequately protects a running engine not simply obtaining good test numbers for advertising and marketing purposes.

Red Line had some samples of fresh Amsoil Series 2000 analyzed. Based on that data, they told me they believe some of Amsoil 2000's components are highly chemically reactive, which could allow the oil to react with steel very aggressively in the new oil test and get good numbers. However, when exposed to blowby gases in an operating engine; they think these additives deactivate rapidly, bringing the wear characteristics right back to what you would find with any synthetic oil.

A unique characteristic of Red Line synthetic engine oils is that, tested in the same manner, their wear numbers actually *improve* with use. No surprise there. Part of Red Line's synthetic additive package and base oils react with the blowby gases to create a more effective antiwear chemistry. That is clearly proven by the ASTM D 4172 Wear Test of used RL 20W50 run out to several different mileages.

The necessary tests are not expensive. An ASTM D 4172 costs about $45.00. An independent laboratory that can perform that test at reasonable cost is: Petro-Lubricant Test Labs, Inc., 170 N. Main Street, Bldg. 2, Wharton, NJ 07885 (201) 366-3797. Another lab that does that kind of testing at a slightly higher cost is: Falex Corporation, 2055 Comprehensive Drive, Aurora, IL 60505 (708) 851-7660. The objective of ASTM tests are to make the results independent of the laboratory, so use any testing laboratory you choose.

Either lab requires only 3 ounces of oil to perform the tests. Specify ASTM D 4172 with 60 Kg and 1800 rpm at 150xC for 1 hour which is the test specified in the Amsoil literature. In each case, keep a sample of each for yourself. If you suspect the numbers are erroneous, you can retest with another lab.

Kind of interesting....

quote:

Ok, VNers, we went through all this last Spring when we got the Amsoil flim-flam the first time. I think what I should just do is say, simply that:

Not interesting to me.

That one sentence he put that in there shows his bias. He resorts to calling names based on his personal opinions to argue his point. Seems arrogant to me.

Anyone who has to call someone else names or denigrate a product always makes me suspicious of their intentions. I'll walk away, no sale here.

Think he makes good points! Amsoil opened the door and he simply walked through it! ASTM testing is ASTM testing! I think they guy while a bet upset at what he thinks is bad marketing is right on the money! If you disagree then have some samples tested! He even helps out by giveing a name of a few companys that do the testing. One of them is the same company that Amsoil used.

We all some bias. The only time being biased is bad is when one trys to hide ones bias to manipulate the out come. Itis possable to set ones bias aside temporaily!

BULLSHEEEEEET!!!!!

1) This is not an article, but belongs in the articles forum....although it really is advertising.

Hogwash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) "...they told me they believe some of Amsoil 2000's components are highly chemically reactive, which could allow the oil to react with steel very aggressively in the new oil test and get good numbers. However, when exposed to blowby gases in an operating engine; they think these additives deactivate rapidly, bringing the wear characteristics right back to what you would find with any synthetic oil...."

I have run Series 2000 20W-50 in my much abused turbo for over 10000 miles. The oil was in great shape. It measured at a 40W @ 100°C, and the wear metals were very low. Can they list these reactive chemicals??? Didn't think so.

Speaking of real engine use and good wear numbers, Redline has had few, but more than likely the analysis needs an apology because of premature high wear numbers.

3) Sure the 4 ball test is not that great of a test. But the author acts like it's the only test Amsoil markets with. It just a test, one silly test, get over it.

4) Also, I'm not sure why Redline can hype, and hype they do just like Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, etc...but when Amsoil advertises it's just hype. I find it funny that you bought into the RP hype, and the virgin numbers.

Sorry, nothing personal, this was beat to death last summer or so.

[ February 15, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Like American politics. Neither political machine spouts the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Marketing is there to sell a product and manipulate tests in their favor. Both companies!

The only thing that counts is where the rubber meets the road and although I don't care for Amsoil marketing I also have yet to see the following.

First a real good number of good UOA on Redline oils, a few good some bad too many excuses. So, if in fact it is hard to be tested via a lab etc my second question was posted on this board

How many engines using Redline exclusivley since the first OCI had over 100,000 miles. I believe only two responders came forward, one of them was or had switched to Schaeffers and the other started Redline after 100,000 miles. Two members of this board.

When you are not racing engines the meat is in engine logevity The real world of every day life! So, IMO, redline has not proven itself enough to warrant the huge cost! Test claims or not!

pablo, he was not useing the term "reactive" in a negative way. What he meant was that they spike their formula to do well in four ball wear test. The chemical used he claims does not last long in the crankcase of a car. He was not saying that the chemical used to improve 4 ball test was negatively reacting with the steel as in corrodeing or etching!

I think that this protocol is too simple to test! How hard would it be for someone to run Amsoil S2K 20W50 for their normal OCI and then have it tested by independent lab doing ball test? THen repeat the test with Redline 20W50? If I could aford to do it myself I would. If the wife ever gets my boys poty trained it will be like getting an extra $200 a month in my pay!

I would like to test this just to see if their is any truth to claim that Amsoil does not do well in 4 ball after it has seen some use! I think it would be funny as all heck if the ball test wich amsoil abuses anyway did not favor them after the oil was used!

I think Amsoil has a good line up of products but I hate twisted marketing to ignorant consumers! It is bad enough that most people are morons when it comes to their cars why make them even dumber through bad marketing! Amsoil can do just fine with or without the 4 ball test!

Personely I do not plan on haveing any metal surfaces in my car contacting each other very often let alone a 60Kg load at 1800 RPM's for 1 hour! Even with cam followers with out rollers I have never seen a wear scar of any kind with even old school Castrol GTX 20W50 so I doubt the 4 balls wear worthy rateing. This of course is assumeing that the car is maintained and not run without oil!

I don't know how Amsoil and Redline really compare to each other. Amsoil has been around long enough to prove itself in a great many cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. The testing of Amsoil has already been done in these many vehicles. And Redline has certainly proved itself at the race track.

But I think the four-ball test is very misleading and you can't really tell how a lubricant is going to perform based on four ball testing. The reason I say this is because a long time ago I used to use an oil supplement that contained PTFE. I don't use it any more and I have not used it for many years. But in four ball testing this oil supplement outperformed numerous other oil supplements and engine treatments and outperformed motor oils including Mobil 1 by very wide margins. This oil supplement lasted many DAYS in four ball testing where other lubricants lasted only MINUTES. If you made your conclusions based only on these four ball tests, you would have to conclude that this oil supplement was the greatest lubricant in the world. Find another test other then the four ball test. Testing in the real world is what really counts.

We have one tribologist on this website, Terry, who highly recommends RL and sees more UOA's then all of us ever will. Redline is a better built oil for performance. It's loaded with ZDDP, Moly and uses more PE base stock. Amsoil will get the job done in 99% of most daily drivers, as will other oils, but if you have say a C5 and drive it hard, I would count on RL. Just my opinion.
smile.gif

Amsoil sets themselves up for this kind of bashing. They plaster the 4 Ball wear test on every bottle, fooling most people who know nothing about oil. So IMO, they deserve it. Reldine's success and products come from it's peroformance in the racing world. They also have a much more professional image and marketing strategy. S2k 20w-50 seems to do well, but the 0w-30 is clearly does not live up to it's claims. Honest Amsoil dealers will tell you this, pushy ones won't. I think S3k and some of their other oils are very good, but the price/performance of 0w-30 isn't their.

[ February 15, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

1986 Ford Aerostar Van makes the perfect canadiate to test things in too. Then again, more people have Aerostars than Corvettes and Vipers, but have you seen an Aerostar in good runnig condition in the past 7 years?

I bet they ran the RL for 20,000 miles and the AMSOIL for 900 because the van died. =)

I agree with what Buster says. Hey, if you have a Corvette and you run it hard, Redline has proven itself at the track and Redline should certainly be able to do the job.

Amsoil has already proven itself in real world testing in a great many vehicles of different types. And Amsoil seems to produce good UOAs. I do wish that Amsoil would lose those four ball tests. I do not believe in those tests. And claims about being able to go 25,000 or even 35,000 miles on one oil change in my opinion are just silly. If you get something like 10,000 to 15,000 miles on one oil change that pretty much pays for the cost of the oil, right?

In is a mystery to me why Redline sometimes does not produce good UOAs. Maybe we just do not have a large enough sample data base-after all, Redline is expensive and relatively few people use it in their ordinary everyday vehicles.

But please lose that four ball test (and for that matter, the Falex test). I don't think you can really compare different motor oils with the four ball test-the four ball test is probably useful in early testing of a motor oil to make sure it will work okay. And that Falex test that some people talk about all the time was not intended for motor oil testing to the best of my knowledge.

In the 150k + mile thread, we noticed that even a good dino will get you long life out of your engine. If I were driving very hard, Redline would be my choice. However, Amsoil/M1/Schaeffer's etc. get the job done as well.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
In the 150k + mile thread, we noticed that even a good dino will get you long life out of your engine. If I were driving very hard, Redline would be my choice. However, Amsoil/M1/Schaeffer's etc. get the job done as well.
smile.gif

Did any RedLiners show up in this thread?????????????

Spectre......I agree with most of what you said. Redline, does not seem to shine in UOA's. Maybe there is a chemical reason for this, that is not harmful to the engine, but skews UOA's.........then again, maybe not. I have recently purchased a few cases of redline to try in my vehicles, to see for myself.

Back to amsoil.......amsoils s2000 series, does not seem all that great from UOA's either. Is it because of the same reason.........I don't know, but I don't think so, as the additive package seems very different between the oils. On the other hand, Amsoils regular line looks excellent, and quite competitive, against OTC synthetics.
smile.gif

That info is from 1999, 5 yrs ago.

automotive magazine writer, Hib Halverson has opinions on a lot of things.

Here another endorsement I found from him
quote:

In my opinion these tests show convincingly that the K&N, oil-impregnated, gauze air filter is not only capible of low restricion but high filtration levels. All of the tests discussed here showed efficiency levels above that of the 95% which most OEs specifiy.

Many off-road racers must agree, because a lot use the K&N and, if the K&N works in that kind of enviornment and those off-road race engines are reliable, it must be a heck of a good filter.

[ February 15, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Any quality conventional motor oil (Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, Castrol) should work fine in most cars and trucks if oil is changed every 3000-5000 miles or so. A car like the Corvette needs Mobil 1 or some other quality synthetic. Amsoil has certainly proved itself in cars and trucks and if somebody drives a lot of miles Amsoil makes sense. Amsoil should easily provide 10,000-17,000 mile oil changes. And Schaeffer's blend seems quite capable of 10,000 mile oil changes as well. Redline has certainly proved itself at the race track. I don't know what they use in advanced race cars nowadays but Redline was very popular in the past in racing.

Only thing about Redline that disturbs me is that for some reason some of the UOAs have not looked so good. But Redline has produced some great UOAs as well. Maybe the sample size is too small. Also, Redline is very expensive and makes Mobil 1 look cheap.

A person could use either Amsoil or Redline and be fine. I personally cannot see driving for 25,000-35,000 miles on one oil change, but 17,000 miles should be acceptable for either Amsoil or Redline. Somebody putting on a lot of miles would be better off using an oil that could provide such high mileage with each oil change. Question-what do trucks driving on the highway use? Some sort of quality synthetic like Amsoil? Those big trucks put major mileage on every year.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
A person could use either Amsoil or Redline and be fine. I personally cannot see driving for 25,000-35,000 miles on one oil change, but 17,000 miles should be acceptable for either Amsoil or Redline. Somebody putting on a lot of miles would be better off using an oil that could provide such high mileage with each oil change. Question-what do trucks driving on the highway use? Some sort of quality synthetic like Amsoil? Those big trucks put major mileage on every year.

A friend of mine, actually a co-worker, used to drive big rigs. When he saw me using Shell Rotella T in my motorcycle he thought I was nuts because he said that it's what they used in their trucks. I just thought I'd share that, but I'm sure they all use different stuff.

Hi,
Mystic - most heavy truck fleets will NOT use "boutique" oils

Most fleet's Management are very conservative and the words availability and contamination must be added to the matrix of issues to consider
which must always end up as a positive in the cost/benefit matrix

Most fleets will use an oil from their fuel supplier or one that is already used in their fleet - entrenched perceptions/in-house politics/special favours etc. - and MOST DO NOT USE A SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL
The fear of synthetics is due to entrenched suspicion and the worry that contamination will trash 40ltrs of newly changed high priced lubricant multiplied by the fleet size!
A quick way to blow a maintenance budget!

I have been involved in this area of Road Transport around the World since the 1970's mostly as a Management & Technical Consultant. I cannot even start to explain the complexities and politics facing engine oil choice in most fleets. And I have visited many fleets in NA too - and they face the same issues

In my case and with my own fleet I know the benefits and how to obtain them. Synthetics work extremely well for me - tied to extended OCIs. I am almost a lone voice in this country!

Most Heavy Diesel engines will cover very high distances ( hours ) on mineral oils if maintained correctly. I have had well over a million trouble free kms on Castrol RX Super for instance. That is why the Road Transport Industry around the World exists on a diet of 15w-40 mineral oils.
The exception is the Euro makers who are bracing themselves for the the latest Euro emissions and better fuel efficiency. The move here is towards 0w/5w-30/40 synthetic lubricants tied to extended OCIs of 120k or more - SUBJECT TO APPROVED OIL LISTS.
These LISTS contain the likes of FUCHS, MOBIL and CASTROL ( and other ) synthetic oils that have been TESTED and APPROVED

I have never seen APPROVAL for Redline of Amsoil HDEO products - but then I've never looked. I'm too hung up on the availability/contamination and the ultimate cost benefit points to consider them. In simple terms "if it doesn't stack up no fleet owner will buy it"!

This is not denigrating products I have no knowledge of - it clearly puts forth a users viewpoint

I hope this adds another dimension

Regards

[ February 16, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

The four ball test has some relevance when evaluating valvetrain wear protection in gas engines....This is particularly true of OHC and DOHC designs with direct acting camshafts and very high pressures.

I don't believe the four ball test is completely relevant to diesels, due to the presence of soot in diesel oils, once they are put in service....

When you have metal to metal contact in the presence of soot, you get wear, period. The best way to minimize this effect in EGR equipped diesels is to maximize the thickness of the oil film and avoid boundary lube conditions if at all possible ....

I'd like to see four ball wear test results with pre-sooted, new oil that has 3% soot in it. That would be some relevant data, IMHO ....

BTW, the Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic blend, "PCO", is an API licensed, CI-4 and ACEA "E5", 12+ TBN formulation, and is an excellent oil for extended drain use out to about 80,000 miles in OTR trucks ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

[ February 16, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

It is pretty interesting what Doug Hillary says. He has actual experience in selecting fleet motor oils and he says that mostly mineral oils are being used in fleets. That is pretty interesting because some people have made it seem that some sort of special synthetic oils are being used in long distance trucking.

I know a long time ago oils like Redline and Torco were popular in auto racing. But the story I hear today is that the big guys are using specially formulated motor oils. I guess with the millions of dollars in auto racing today they can afford it. The little guys apparently are still using Redline. I believe that Exxon/Mobil is sponsoring NASCAR these days. Whether or not that means that Mobil 1 is in the race car engines is another story.

quote:

The four ball test has some relevance when evaluating valvetrain wear protection in gas engines....This is particularly true of OHC and DOHC designs with direct acting camshafts and very high pressures.

Show me proof of this statement? I was told by NEO, Redline, and Mobil techs via email that the 4-Ball wear tells you nothing about an oils ability to protect inside an actual engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back