NGK quality based on where made???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard this said by a few posters here, maybe only a couple, but it was something along the lines of NGK plugs made in the USA were inferior to ones from Japan or elsewhere?

I've gotten the replacement NGK V-Power for my Civic at most local auto stores. IIRC, it's all made in USA. Is there anything to this at all and is it just a preference sort of thing, no big deal?

i hear they are good. my dodge caliber came with them from the factory-Chrysler would not use junky spark plugs!!!

I like FRAM Autolite sparks too

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I've heard this said by a few posters here, maybe only a couple, but it was something along the lines of NGK plugs made in the USA were inferior to ones from Japan or elsewhere?

Personally, I don't believe that for a minute. I've had NGK plugs from both the US and Japan in my car for over 20 years and I can tell absolutely no difference between them.

Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
i hear they are good. my dodge caliber came with them from the factory-Chrysler would not use junky spark plugs!!!

I like FRAM Autolite sparks too

Thanks for the laugh!
As far as USA VS Japanese, there should be no difference. I've run both in cars and bikes, and never saw a difference in quality at any point.

I don't believe that for an instant.

NGK used to be produced by Bosch through a licensing agreement -- not common knowledge.

How many hundreds of tuneups have you uys done with these plugs? In the 90's Ive found the USA made V-power to run about a half a heatranger hotter than the OEM without the v-notch. This was enough of a change to induce pinging/knock in some engines vs. the -ES plugs. Dont know how they are running these days. The ground straps were always a weak point and eroded quickly (worn at 30K service) and caused gap creep on these plugs vs a Champ or Nippon Denso which would go 20K longer easily. ND always worked MUCH better on a tunup on most subaru vs NGK ( app: BPR6ES-11 vs. W20EPRu11) So much for the NGK coolaid being drunk around here
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How many hundreds of tuneups have you uys done with these plugs? In the 90's Ive found the USA made V-power to run about a half a heatranger hotter than the OEM without the v-notch. This was enough of a change to induce pinging/knock in some engines vs. the -ES plugs. Dont know how they are running these days. The ground straps were always a weak point and eroded quickly (worn at 30K service) and caused gap creep on these plugs vs a Champ or Nippon Denso which would go 20K longer easily. ND always worked MUCH better on a tunup on most subaru vs NGK ( app: BPR6ES-11 vs. W20EPRu11) So much for the NGK coolaid being drunk around here
smile.gif

So you don't really know "how they are running these days" but felt the need to tell use all we're high on cool aid?

IMO it hasn't seemed to matter but I'm easy to please.

I think NGK are decent plugs, but they have a better marketing department than Denso, Bosch, FM (autolite), or champion. And as we know they do a LOT of internet marketing through folks posting on sites just like this, telling folks how they are the best plug ever.
whistle.gif
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Are they better (higher quality) than those other brands?
Probably not.

Last edited:
Wouldn't an NGK plug be the same no matter where its made? After all, its only being built to whatever specs that NGK specifies. Or does that only apply to stuff made in China....? Hmmmm.

All 3 of our cars have NGK plugs. All the ones I've bought have been made in Japan and worked well.

I've used the Iridium IX in the Hyundai and Nissan and another plug in the VW.

Originally Posted By: dparm

NGK used to be produced by Bosch through a licensing agreement -- not common knowledge.

How long ago was that???

Originally Posted By: css9450
Wouldn't an NGK plug be the same no matter where its made? After all, its only being built to whatever specs that NGK specifies. Or does that only apply to stuff made in China....? Hmmmm.
V power with the notch in the centre electrode (USA made, green text) have been a different part number than the OEM ( blue text). IIRC -E vs -ES. The V power were marketed to N. American V8 truck owners (mainly GM) trying to get a bit better mileage - an upgrade over oem AC. The Ir plugs are a really big advance for NGK and ND and perform very well in COP apps. Not for waste spark (dual ended coil)ignitions though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

How long ago was that???

Not sure, but my father worked for Bosch for over 25 years. I don't think they do it anymore but at one point it was true.

V power with the notch in the centre electrode (USA made, green text) have been a different part number than the OEM ( blue text). IIRC -E vs -ES. The V power were marketed to N. American V8 truck owners (mainly GM) trying to get a bit better mileage - an upgrade over oem AC. The Ir plugs are a really big advance for NGK and ND and perform very well in COP apps. Not for waste spark (dual ended coil)ignitions though.

Denso's iridium plugs are even better still -- they have the sharpest tip at 0.4mm.

V-Power plugs for the little 92 Civic VX came installed from the dealer, Denso also offers their model w/ correct heat range but I haven't tried them.

The upper timing belt cover on the vehicle comes with the label for which plugs are correct.

Here is a thread I made last year removing/replacing plugs prematurely after an overdose on Red Line SI-1(I used the entire 15 ounce bottle to 10 gallons):

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...316#Post2366316

I've since learned this system probably has a slight ignition miss from the age on the original distributor/igniter/coil.

NGK is a Japanese company. The actual name is Nippon Tokusyu Togyo Kabushiki gaisha. Most of their stuff is Made in Japan, but some of it is made in their factories in the USA. It's all still good stuff though.

Last edited:
Denso is a tier ONE vendor for all the major manufacturers as well. They don't market to the public as agressively BUT I believe the overall quality is actually a bit better than NGK, but not by much. Both are good.

Denso's iridium plugs are even better still -- they have the sharpest tip at 0.4mm.

Yes, but you DO give up longevity (almost half the life) as compared to the NGK Laser Iridiums, if that matters to you, or if you have an engine bay which forces a 4+ hour, contortionist, plug change (like I do).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back