Lucas Power steering stop leak did not help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my jeep wrangler has a power steering leak at the gear box, leaks from the input shaft going into the box. its been a slow leaks so i figured why not try some snake oil [censored] since i needed to buy PS fluid anyway. well i have slowly been adding Lucas Power steering stop leak as my reservoir needed to be topped off.

well after a few months the leak has gotten faster and today I just finished the bottle.
looks like its time to rebuild the gear box, its a common thing on wranglers =(

I bought an '88 Ramcharger 4+ years ago that needed a whole bottle of Lucas to restore it to normal level. I owned the truck for six months before I sold it and did not have to add any more fluid.
21.gif

The Lucas stuff is very very thick, but when i check the level and get drips off of the dip stick the fluid is still pretty thin. so I could probably try another bottle while i get ready to fix it properly. Lucas says a limit of 2 bottles lol its not a whole lot more then regular PS fluid anyway =P

Mechanicx, can you buy that product from any stores or is it online only?

I have the rebuild kit for the gear box so im going to try doing that first before i buy a new gear box. wish me luck!

Last edited:
There are 3 types of stop leaks:

1.Those that swell the seals with petroleum,it softens and eventually ruins the seals.(most $2-3 products)
2.Those that are nothing more than thick gunk that try to raise the viscosity of the parent fluid to help slow a leak.(like the Lucas)
3.Those that are a seal "conditioner" that is also contained in regular fluids already but in much smaller quantity.(The ATP product and SealLube).

I have a problem using any stop leak in any auto system unless I have run out of possibilities.

Lucas just makes the amusing gizmo with the gears and levers to fool with while waiting for parts. Do people really buy Lucas products?

Lucas PS stop leak has worked for me. It slowed the leak in my steering gear allowing me to put off replacing it for a year or 2.

It stopped the leaking from my power steering pump, but it took a couple months. I have acquired the PS seal rebuild kit, and know where to get the pulley puller, but it is dry these days, and I am not gonna open it up until I have to.

But this is the only Lucas product I will use.

Have heard good stuff about the ATP 205 stuff.....but never used it.

It may help, but more than likely won't :p

yeah ill never buy another Lucas thing, it felt awkward buying the PS fluid but now im sure

Got it fixed, new gear box installed out the door would have been 375 dollars. luckily i bought a warranty when i bought my jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back