History of this bike model (Gary Fisher Sheriff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week my GF bought a new 29er. Today while on craigslist I found a Gary Fisher Sheriff 29er. It fit her perfect and we bought it. Were going to return the other bike (Specialized hardrock sport) and keep this because it has superior components.

15.5 in aluminum frame
Reba fork
Sram x7
Avid bb7's
bontrager superstock rims

I couldn't find ANYTHING regarding this model.

She paid $550, which I thought was a super deal for its components.

SU1BRzA0NjkuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA0NzAuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA0NzEuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzA0NzIuanBn.jpg

I don't recognize the model name either, but it looks like a good find no less. The Reba is a really nice light fork. I think that thing will provide good service. The X-7 is great too. Sram shifting is so positive, it's hard to go back to Shimano once you've used Sram!

I checked Bikepedia and found nothing. I swear I've heard of that.
You're lucky you found a 29er that fits her. If it were me, I'd swap those BB7's for hydraulic brakes so she can brake with one finger.
My daughter is about 5'4" and she rides a 15" GF Cobia. Your bike looks like it has better standover than hers even though it's the same size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I checked Bikepedia and found nothing. I swear I've heard of that.
You're lucky you found a 29er that fits her. If it were me, I'd swap those BB7's for hydraulic brakes so she can brake with one finger.
My daughter is about 5'4" and she rides a 15" GF Cobia. Your bike looks like it has better standover than hers even though it's the same size.

I checked bikepedia and also found nothing. I run bb7's on my bike so I'm very familiar with them and will most likely stick with them. This bike doesn't leave much standover for her, she has only about an inch of clearance. Since she wanted a 29er, we knew that our main issue would be the standover height and we had her fitted for over and hour on 10 different bikes will we found a few that fit her well.

I find it odd that no one knows anything about this GF sheriff.....

The style of writing and the name itself makes me wonder if it is not a "Sheriff" but is a bike built for a Sheriff's department somewhere. I don't know why it would be purple, or a 29'er, or that small, but who knows.

Bike is a GF rig with added hardware since it comes as a single speed.

I spent two hours adjusting the rear, then front deralier from some well made youtube videos. It shifts much better......however its not perfect and still clinks and clanks.

Any tips, pointers, or just pay some bike shop (rather not).

Are the shifting issues in the front or back? What kind of issues? Not holding a gear? Not shifting up well? Down? Rubbing?

Originally Posted By: cchase
Are the shifting issues in the front or back? What kind of issues? Not holding a gear? Not shifting up well? Down? Rubbing?

The front derailleur. It rubs when on either end (last two high & low) gears of the cassette. It is a sram x-7 shifter and shimano deore derailleur.

I checked the cable and it move/shifted smoothly.

If the smallest ring up front is 1, then 3 is the largest, is it rubbing in 1, 2, and 3, or just one? It is many times impossible to get a setup that does not rub in one extreme or the other.

The best way to start setup is to put the chain in the middle ring in the front. If cable tension is properly set, you should be able to go through all the gears on the cassette without major rubbing issues on the front cage on most bikes.

I assume you know already that small ring front, small cog rear is a bad combination and that large ring front, large cog rear is also a bad combination and you should not worry with rubbing in that scenario.

Rubbing in small ring front, large cog rear can be a result of either the Low limit screw being set too high or excessive cable tension not allowing the front derailleur to rest on the Low limit screw. Rubbing in large ring front, small cog rear can be a result of the High limit screw being set too low, or insufficient cable tension.

If the smallest ring up front is 1, then 3 is the largest, is it rubbing in 1, 2, and 3, or just one? It is many times impossible to get a setup that does not rub in one extreme or the other.

The best way to start setup is to put the chain in the middle ring in the front. If cable tension is properly set, you should be able to go through all the gears on the cassette without major rubbing issues on the front cage on most bikes.

I assume you know already that small ring front, small cog rear is a bad combination and that large ring front, large cog rear is also a bad combination and you should not worry with rubbing in that scenario.

Rubbing in small ring front, large cog rear can be a result of either the Low limit screw being set too high or excessive cable tension not allowing the front derailleur to rest on the Low limit screw. Rubbing in large ring front, small cog rear can be a result of the High limit screw being set too low, or insufficient cable tension.

Based on the videos I used for adjustments to set the high/low.

I set chain on smallest front/largest back and set the H/L limit screw(I forget which one). Then with chain on biggest front, smallest back, set the screw. (I forget which one)

I also screwed in the cable after the 1st adjustment (chain on smallest front/largest back and set the H/L) while applying tension.

Also the face of the derailleur was the proper 3mm away from top of large ring.

I understand what you mean by riding in middle ring most of the time.

What should I do differently?

The rear was a cake walk. Which is why my bike is a 1x9. Keeping it simple.

If the high and low is set up properly, go into the middle ring up front and cycle up and down the whole way in the rear. It "shouldn't" rub on both the high end and low end and you "should" be able to dial out the rubbing with the adjustment barrel on the shifter.

If the high and low is set up properly, go into the middle ring up front and cycle up and down the whole way in the rear. It "shouldn't" rub on both the high end and low end and you "should" be able to dial out the rubbing with the adjustment barrel on the shifter.

Ok, I will give that a try this evening when I escape this place called work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back