How much does Synthetic lower engine temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on this site compared conventional and synthetic for temp. variances on air cooled engines. I am going to test it on my ATV and tiller soon using a IR temp sensor. Curious what the results will be. I will post the results.

This has been discussed many time before.
The short answer is GP III & IV syn' oils don't lower oil temp's but in comparing syn and mineral oils it is never an apples vs apples comparison.

Will be interesting to see the results.

The only temp changes ive noticed when switching between syn and mineral, is a differential switching the gear lube. That actually made a very big difference

It probably won't.

I can't remember if it was PAO's or Esters, but one has a higher heat capacity by about 20% than a conventional. That could lower temperatures if you have an oil cooler or heat exchanger.

Otherwise if there is a difference it's probably due to a different viscosity not the base stock.

The only temperatures changes I've seen reported over the last 10 years , has been air-cooled motorcycle oil temps run 15-20 degrees cooler on synthetic oil.

I actually started a test like this this past weekend. My kids and I race quads and I've wanted to know if a certain viscosity (10w40 vs. 20w50 vs 10w30 vs 5w40 vs 15w30) or composition of oil (ie grp IV or V) will lower temps in our race engines, two air cooled and two water cooled. I took readings at three differences places on the engines post race and recorded them in a notebook. Over the course of the race season I will record the post race temps using different oils and, just maybe, can reach a conclusion at the end of the season. There may be too many variables to control for however and I don't approach this as a definitive experiment, just really playing around.

Schaeffers has a bottom line on a Harley motorcycle that shows a definite decrease in temperature, about 20 degrees or so for an overall average. They performed this by using a infrared camera.

I think the greater effect (and the significant effect) is not in lowering engine heat but in the synthetic, at least a very good one like Redline, being able to much better handle the heat. This would be especially important in an automatic transmission where heat is about the #1 enemy.

The only time Ive noticed a difference is when I went from conventional to amsoil syn air compressor lube. It was actually pretty substantial by feel, didnt have a measurement.

That to me is the fundamental issue - it is so tough to get a temperature reading on oil that it is tough to say.

Quote:
Has anyone on this site compared conventional and synthetic for temp. variances on air cooled engines. I am going to test it on my ATV and tiller soon using a IR temp sensor. Curious what the results will be. I will post the results.

What temp? Bulk oil temp, sump temp on outer case, top cylinder/heatfin temp, ?

Last edited:
I tested a HDEO 10w30 in my ATV and ABUSED it. I saw post oil cooler temps of ~235*F in 75*F weather. I jumped off the cliff this weekend and poured in some group IV boutique 10w40 and ABUSED it in 85*F weather. I could only muster about 215*F post oil cooler. I realize that a 10w30 versus 10w40 is not fair. This is far from scientific and I don't claim it is gospel. I will be testing various oils (read; abusing) and keeping track of the temps. I hope to get some UOA data as well.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I think the greater effect (and the significant effect) is not in lowering engine heat but in the synthetic, at least a very good one like Redline, being able to much better handle the heat. This would be especially important in an automatic transmission where heat is about the #1 enemy.

Bingo....Tall Paul and CATERHAM...have the answer!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I can see a syn having lower temps on an air cooled engine, can't see much on water cooled.

+1 Properly running fan and good coolant are supose to keep the engine at the temp called for by the thermostat.

Which makes me want to ask...Why do many of these machines, particulary mine (Kawi Brute Force 750) run so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back