John Deere X300 vs. Husqvarva YTH24V42LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Deere X300 - 42” deck, 18.5hp Kawasaki, Tuff Torq K46 hydro
Husqvarna YTH24V42LS – 42” deck, 24hp Kawasaki, Tuff Torq (not sure which one) hydro

I cut about 1.5 acres of pretty flat yard (one ditch), once a week for the spring, summer and fall, side discharge everything. I pull a 4x8 trailer around the yard for planting and clean up (no heavy hauling). No winter use.

John Deere -
Plus: service, parts, 4yr warranty.
Minus: price ($500 more).

Husqvarna –
Plus: price ($500 less), more HP, 3yr warranty.
Minus – parts availability (dealer doesn’t stock many parts, but can get them in a few days), don’t know much about the brand (Implement dealer just started selling them).

I’m looking for opinions on either of these two lawn tractors. I need to decide by Thursday and I really haven’t had time to research, so I turned to the most knowledgeable folks I know. If anyone has some tribal knowledge of either one of these models I’d appreciate any advice and or opinions. Sorry for the short notice!

Thanks!

Parts availability should actually be pretty good for the Husqvarna. They publish parts lists on their website, though many times the numbers supersede to a new number. They aren't all that expensive either, probably cheaper to buy than Deere parts actually.

Searspartsdirect.com stocks a lot of Husqvarna parts as does ereplacementparts.com. A lot of OPE shops, even ones that are not Husqvarna dealers, can probably get Husqvarna parts.

I'm a Kubota guy but what I would look for is which tractor has the toughest looking frame. You can tell alot about the build quality by how stout the frame is.

I own a 2007 X300. It has been a good tractor. Only weak point is that some have had issues with the K-46 and there is no provision to drain or refill the transmission. May want to check here for some other opinions:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

10 years down the road, you won't have any problem getting parts for the Deere. I have a GT235 garden tractor that's 11 years old now. It's needed a few things (mostly,,um,,, 100% my fault, especially the smashed bodywork) and the JD dealer either has it in stock, or gets it in very quickly. From the mundane, like the belts and blades, to the mulching kit I destroyed, and the hood I smashed, the headlights I smashed, the seat I broke,,,

I don't know if that will ever be possible with Husqvarna tractors. Especially as they age.

Like said, Deere is always going to have the resale if that's important to you. Hop on both machines and work the controls to see which is more comfortable. Deers tend to be tops in this realm.

I wouldn't worry too much about Husqvarna parts given the share-a-bility with Sears machines.

You typical JD dealer doesn't stock many parts these days either. They'll have to order them just like everybody else.

Husqvarna seems to have a pretty good dealer presence these days too, which is nice.

That Husqvarna most likely has a K46 as well. They've been around forever.

Joel

Take it for what it is worth but I got the box store grade YTH23V48 Husqvara and have been quite happy with it.

That YTH24V42LS has the beefier frame and heavy fabricated mowing deck and looks like a quality piece I would have had not problem buying if I was in the market for that grade of a mower.

Deere is great but I do not doubt you will have many if any issues sourcing parts for the Husqvara down the road.

As for future trade in value, my opinion is you are buying a mower and not some trade-in investment. Buy on quality and what suits your wallet.

Originally Posted By: JTK

You typical JD dealer doesn't stock many parts these days either. They'll have to order them just like everybody else...

That's certainly not the case around here. The local JD dealer, "Everglades Farm Equipment" has had everything and every part in stock that I needed. Including some unusual requests. With the exception of a couple of stickers for my new bodywork.

The service has been so good, I'd never consider another brand. I'll be able to keep this little tractor running the rest of my life. That has a value that can't be understated.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

That's certainly not the case around here. The local JD dealer, "Everglades Farm Equipment" has had everything and every part in stock that I needed....

It used to be much better where I live. For decades I had two great JD dealerships less than 10 miles from me.

Now one mega, multi-product outfit owns three that aren't near as close.

Even with my nearby Cub or Honda OPE shops. Pretty much anything I've needed that last 10yrs or so needed to be ordered.

Joel

Last edited:
Even though the JD is the premium price for the entry level X model, I think this is way Im headed. I found out the Kabota dealer is 10 miles from the Husqvarna dealer...so I will check out the Kabota line up as well.
Since the weather here is going to be nice tomorrow, Im taking the day off to wrap this up...stay tuned!

I'm partial to John Deere equipment assuming it's not the big box store consumer line. Every Deere that I've had (and still have) has served me extremely well. I still have a 210 that was the first to hit the ground in Iowa in 1974 and it's never been rebuilt or needed more than normal maintenance. I stored it somewhere around 1992, and last year I pulled it out, washed almost 20 years of dust and dirt from it, and fired it up after doing some basic maintenance.

You'll be happy with the Deere-the X series tractors are a solid investment.

You typical JD dealer doesn't stock many parts these days either. They'll have to order them just like everybody else.

Not true at all.

When I pulled my 1974 JD210 out of 19 years worth of storage a year ago I was able to get a wiring harness, a carburetor, points, condenser, plug, throttle and choke cables, and a few other items from my local Deere dealer (the same dealer where I purchased it new in 1974). All the items were in stock, and all had manufacturing dates within the last year, and all were made in the USA. And that's for a garden tractor that's nearly 40 years old.

The few tune up parts I've needed for my 757 have always been in stock. My Deere dealer even had a replacement rubber for the foot controlled deck lift when mine started to split.

When I had my 325 I never had to wait for parts with the exception of a PTO clutch. They didn't have it in stock, but a Deere dealer 20 miles away had it, and an employee dropped it off at my place on his way home that same day. I didn't mind waiting 4 hours to get it dropped off at my doorstep.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
........to the mulching kit I destroyed, and the hood I smashed, the headlights I smashed, the seat I broke,,,/quote]

Cujet, you fly airplanes for a living, right??
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

When I pulled my 1974 JD210 out of 19 years worth of storage a year ago I was able to get a wiring harness, a carburetor, points, condenser, plug, throttle and choke cables, and a few other items from my local Deere dealer (the same dealer where I purchased it new in 1974). All the items were in stock, and all had manufacturing dates within the last year, and all were made in the USA. And that's for a garden tractor that's nearly 40 years old.

The few tune up parts I've needed for my 757 have always been in stock. My Deere dealer even had a replacement rubber for the foot controlled deck lift when mine started to split.

When I had my 325 I never had to wait for parts with the exception of a PTO clutch. They didn't have it in stock, but a Deere dealer 20 miles away had it, and an employee dropped it off at my place on his way home that same day. I didn't mind waiting 4 hours to get it dropped off at my doorstep.

This. The Deere might be a bit higher in price but the service is top notch. I like Husqvarna, and own one of their chainsaws, but as far as garden tractors are concerned it is hard to beat a Deere. Even if you can't find the part at the dealer, there is a lot of online support for Deere machines.

Not true at all.

Maybe not true for your local JD dealerships, but absolutely true for mine.

Regardless.. To the OP, you can't go wrong with a JD lawn/garden tractor. You will pay more, but you'll be happy mowing with it.

Joel

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Quote:
Cujet said:
........to the mulching kit I destroyed, and the hood I smashed, the headlights I smashed, the seat I broke,,,/quote]

Cujet, you fly airplanes for a living, right??
lol.gif

No, I fix 'em. I just fly my little Cessna 177RG as a personal airplane. I do get to fly the boss' equipment from time to time. But not professionally.

But, I have 2 rural properties and the JD tractor gets a serious workout. I don't have time to be gentle with it.

Not true at all.

Maybe not true for your local JD dealerships, but absolutely true for mine.

Regardless.. To the OP, you can't go wrong with a JD lawn/garden tractor. You will pay more, but you'll be happy mowing with it.

Joel

Yeah, I needed a seat, muffler shield, muffler, and a bunch of other parts for an LA115 someone (not me) tore up, and the dealer had to order them. They can get the parts very quickly though, and John Deere's parts distribution is definitely among the best. Some dealers probably stock a lot of parts for older models because people collect and restore these things.

I think mowers at these price range are very similar. I think if you go with the Deere you are paying for the name.

I went with the yth24v54 and got a great price on it. I have used it to dethatch and mow my lawn twice now. I am very pleased so far and glad I saved some money by going with the husqvarna. My neighbor has the Deere and it is a great machine too just not worth my extra dollars.

I am also happy with how clean the oil is. I changed it with Rotella T5 10w30 and I am running a Purolator filter on it. Once I hit 10 hrs I will change it again with the Rotella and put a motorcraft fl400s on there.

I really like the JD quality, fit and finish. The dealer network is also top notch and the factory-trained techs are right there to service anything.
I do believe since I am pretty handy and resourceful, the best value for my money is the Husqvarna. The Husqvarna dealer network is not as widespread and parts might not be available the same day, but I think that is a sign of the times. I can’t get most Ford parts from the dealer the same day, but most places have a two-day turnaround if you pick it up at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back