bardahl no smoke causing big trouble!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't yet removed the heavy oil additive, I would remove the OHV cover and spoon it out before it gets to the oil pump. The oil thickeners usually spell death to an engine by fouling oil pumps, passages and coking the engine beyond belief.

If you have already got the stuff into the sump, I would heat the engine (don't run it, use a heater) and drain the oil and change the filter. Next, run 1/2 Rislone oil treatment (the sweet smelling, blue-green stuff) and 1/2 engine oil with a new filter for about a week or 100 miles making sure the engine gets fully warmed. Drain and refill with the correct oil for your engine this time adding only 1/2 quart of Rislone to the new oil. Also, change the filter. You may find after the Rislone, you engine uses less oil. This is due to the Rislone softening valve stem seals and rings being de-coked. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Bayman
I think it would have been better if the OP had used one of Bardahl's other products, it is called RING-EEZE.

As with any product your results may vary.

IMHO it doesn't really matter for the oil control rings are jammed.

I'd just keep adding top up oil (ordinary motor oil, not some fancy-schmancy HM or HDEO, etc.) until OP has some $$ to replace/service/rebuild the engine, or move on.

Really, why waste your hard earned mullahs on thickened oil additives when it seeps past the compressor rings and get burned anyways?

Sorry OP for I've been harsh on you in the past but really you live with what a Saturn engine's deficiencies (poor design) and move on.

Q.

I used No Smoke and 20w50 oil in my old 1983 BMW 528e (valve seals worn)for 4 years or more and never had a problem. it just seemed to reduce oil consumption.

Last edited:
20W-50 and a tin of STP was the norm down here for years, no apparent problems (In Oz, when an engine started consuming 1L/5,000km, it was considered time for new rings and valve guides).

Seen plenty of no-smoke additives go into engines, none of them ended up damaged.

If you had driven the car for a bit, and got it warmed up a few times after a few trips, it would have blended right in and not caused a problem.

But, of course, you did the 'approved' thing on here..panicked, and wasted several quarts of perfectly good oil trying to get it out of your engine, when you really didn't have to.

STP, No-Smoke, Motor Honey, and products like these have been used by millions of folks for years without issue, you would have been one fo them with your Saturn if you'd just relaxed....

Yeah it would have made the OP FEEL good even though the product is doing nothing at all. LOL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: GMorg
How did the Bardahl flow out of the can but not down through the oil returns of a warm engine? It sounds like the oil returns were clogged or the engine was very cold. I have used many of the oil thickening additives over the years and have never seen anything like what you describe. Please help me understand this...

+1

Unless it was way below freezing, the stuff should have flowed into the oil pan over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back