QSUD 0W20 for 2010 Camry- Caterham please chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Wal-Mart today and saw QS UD 0w20 for $20.47/5qt
and my wife is due for an oil change. So I bought some to try as it was 7 bucks cheaper than the Mobil 1.
I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this oil. Perticularly from Caterham, as he is our resident 0w20 expert.
SOPUS products seem to be highly regarded here, and I've had good luck with them. (PYB, and QS GB in my old '95 Camry)
But I've never run QS UD. I use to run PP 5w20 in my Windstar and loved it. And I run PU in my uncles Solara, as the heads run hot, and it likes to cook dino, as with every other 1MZ-FE.
Anyway on to usage habits:

I normally run M1 0w20AFE in the wife's 2010 Camry for a 5k interval.
It's a 2.5 2AR-FE 6spd Manual with 40k, driven primarally on rural back roads, with a highway run every 1-2 weeks or so. (We live in the woods)
It gets a fair number of short trips (less than 5 miles total)
3 times a day as she drops the kids off at school. Then a 20 minute ride on rural roads to her work at 5ish then another 20 minute ride home at 9.

It runs like a sewing machine on the M1. Nice and smooth, and great fuel mileage (34 mpg on the highway 30 around town)
I tried Castrol Edge SN 0w20 one time and it seemed louder, and not as smooth. Prior to the M1, it was Valvoline Synpower 0w20 for the first 4 Oil Changes of it's life, as it was free from the dealership. (Seemed to run ok, but I didn't have anything to compare it to.)

Sorry for the novel, please let me know your thoughts on this oil. And if anyone has tried the M1AFE vs the QSUD 0w20 please let me know how it worked out.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
You have a 2010 Camry with a 2.5l 6 speed manual transmission?

Didn't know such a thing would exist!

I've used QS UD 5w30 for about 3 oil fills in 2 cars. A Lexus and a Ford. Picked it up because it was the cheapest, especially with rebates. No complaints. It definitely feels different to other fills I've had in the same car. It feels thicker, quietens things down a bit.

Last edited:
You will run a quiet motor. Quaker State definitely makes your engine quieter (at least it does for mine).

If you've used Ultra, UD is basically the same thing but more focused on wear protection than detergency. They are both made by SOPUS.

QSUD has good specs and my Hyundai ran wonderful on it this last winter. We had a mild winter but we had a few days that were 20 below or so. Started up and ran just fine.

Nothing to worry about, you might find a new favorite oil!

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
You have a 2010 Camry with a 2.5l 6 speed manual transmission?

Didn't know such a thing would exist!

It does exist, and it's wonderful.
I love it, but the clutch is way too soft.

I had a 2011 Camry with the same engine, and my Toyota dealer uses Quaker State products. I took it there for one of the free maintenance services and they used the 0W-20 QSUD in it. That engine was at least as quiet on that oil as it was on the factory fill. I loved it.

I also tried the 0W-20 QSUD in our Acura MDX and I didn't like it in that car at all. It's the loudest oil I've ran in it.

It just depends on the vehicle and the engine I think. The QSUD ran excellent in my 2.5L Camry, and I'm sure it'll run great in yours as well.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Wow no hits from Caterham yet ?

Sorry, didn't see the post.
It's best to PM me with the link.

Anyway, QSUD 0W-20 is the same oil as PP 0W-20 and it's a fine oil. Better than all 5W-20s and better than average compared to other 0W-20 oils.
Here's my list of the top 0W-20 oils:

-Sustina 0W-20
-Toyota
-OEM Mazda, Mitsubishi, Cdn Honda/Acura and Subaru 0W-20s made by Idemitsu (SM, GF-4 only)
-ENEOS
-RP
- American Honda 0W-20 made by COP (full syn)
- American Honda 0W-20 " " (syn' blend)
-PP/QSUD 0W-20
-Texas Tea 0W-20
-Mobil Special 0W-20
-M1 AFE 0W-20
-Valvoline 0W-20
-Subaru 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Beck/Arnley 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Castrol 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Other 0W-20s

Thanks to Caterham, and everyone else for your input.
I'm very happy to hear that it is the same as PP 0w20.
The Camry loves it, Nice & Smooth.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JustinC25

Here's my list of the top 0W-20 oils:

-Sustina 0W-20
-Toyota
-OEM Mazda, Mitsubishi, Cdn Honda/Acura and Subaru 0W-20s made by Idemitsu (SM, GF-4 only)
-ENEOS
-RP
- American Honda 0W-20 made by COP (full syn)
- American Honda 0W-20 " " (syn' blend)
-PP/QSUD 0W-20
-Texas Tea 0W-20
-Mobil Special 0W-20
-M1 AFE 0W-20
-Valvoline 0W-20
-Subaru 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Beck/Arnley 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Castrol 0W-20 (SN, GF-5)
-Other 0W-20s

Where does the Idemitsu GF-5 (not the Mazda branded, their own) fit in this list?

Just wondering where Amsoil signature falls on the 0w20 continuum? (especially in regards to direct injection engines as my CX-5 has.) There is a shop in my neighborhood offering Amsoil oil changes for around $45. I don't think that's the signature product however.

Originally Posted by CATERHAM
... Anyway, QSUD 0W-20 is the same oil as PP 0W-20 and it's a fine oil. Better than all 5W-20s and better than average compared to other 0W-20 oils.
-PP/QSUD 0W-20 ...

Why do you feel PP 0W-20 is better than PP 5W-20, assuming a locale where starting at very low temperatures is not an issue?

Originally Posted by CR94
... Anyway, QSUD 0W-20 is the same oil as PP 0W-20 and it's a fine oil. Better than all 5W-20s and better than average compared to other 0W-20 oils.
-PP/QSUD 0W-20 ...

Why do you feel PP 0W-20 is better than PP 5W-20, assuming a locale where starting at very low temperatures is not an issue?

Caterham hasn't been here in quite some time. This is a old thread dug up by the weekenders.

The QSUD 0w20 is good oil for the price, especially when found on sale and/or rebate. 18 quarts for $2.99ea after rebate from must last buy at Menards. 19.99 roughly a jug at Meijer or Walmart. More Moly and Boron then some others in its class. Can't say if it quiets the 3.6L Pentastar V6 down but it works for me.

Anyway, QSUD 0W-20 is the same oil as PP 0W-20 and it's a fine oil. Better than all 5W-20s and better than average compared to other 0W-20 oils.

Sorry for a noob question - does that mean 0w20 can be used instead of 5w20 even if not recommended by a service manual?
I've seen this kind of statements before but have never really thought it through
I'm interested in trying it in my 17 Sportage GDI which calls from 5w20 (even tho running 5w30 at the moment)

JustinC25 said:

It's best to PM me with the link.

/quote]

Better than all 5w-20's because?

Originally Posted by CR94
-PP/QSUD 0W-20 ...

If you follow Ghokan's posts - yes! The base oils tend to be superior...

OP You could 've used a $5 coupon and the $12 rebate on Mobil 1. But QSUD is excellent oil and I doubt there is much of a difference at this point...

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Better than all 5w-20's because?

Once again, old thread, and Caterham is not here anymore so you won't get your answer (at least not from him)

By the way, QSUD 0w20 is not the same as PP 0w20 in 2019 (and I have my doubts that it was ever the identical formula even 6 years ago, as all of the Shell owned oil brands have always operated independently of each other)

Originally Posted by Patman
JohnnyJohnson said:
By the way, QSUD 0w20 is not the same as PP 0w20 in 2019 (and I have my doubts that it was ever the identical formula even 6 years ago, as all of the Shell owned oil brands have always operated independently of each other)

And Shell was considered the higher end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back