Mobil 1 EP 5W-30/M1 209, 8712 mi, 07 4Runner V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

UOA from Blackstone on my 07 4Runner 4x4 V8. This is from last year, I changed the oil out before I deployed so I didnt get the most use out of it. I have a 48 mile daily commute with about 10 miles of stop and go each way. I stock up on a few years worth when AZ has the 5qts + M1 filter deal so I am running the same combo now.

Mi on oil 8712
Mo on oil 11 mo
Mi on unit 43,008
Date taken 5 Mar 11
Make up oil 0 qts

Aluminium 4
Chromium 0
Iron 10
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 104
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 53
Silicon 28
Sodium 25
Calcium 2582
Magnesium 13
Phosphorus 712
Zinc 786
Barium 0

SUS Vis @210 55.3
cSt Vis @ 100 8.86
Fuel 1.3%
Flashpoint 340
Anitfreeze 0%
Water 0%
Insol 0.3%
TBN 2.9

Fuel sure brought the FP down. Was it a short drive or start-up before the sample was taken?

TBN is ok of course, but lower than I thought it would be for only 8712 miles.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Fuel sure brought the FP down. Was it a short drive or start-up before the sample was taken?

TBN is ok of course, but lower than I thought it would be for only 8712 miles.

TBN is good, considering the oil was run for 11 months. The EP is a 15,000 miles or 12 mints oil (whichever comes first). I am worried that without the TAN this doesn't truly tell you its longevity.

It was a short drive to AZ (<5mi) before I dropped the oil and took the sample, but I wouldn't think there would be that much effect just from a short trip? It seemed to me like a longer term condition give the 8.8 vis. I was also surprised by the TBN, I think 10k would be the limit with this combo.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
It was a short drive to AZ (div>

A short drive before sampling is exactly the reason for the fuel.

Engines run rich before they fully warm up. As a result, extra fuel gets dumped into the combustion chambers to aid in warm up. Since you didn't run the engine long enough, the excess fuel didn't have time to get hot enough and evaporate. As a result, it ended up in your sample.

Blackstone and the other labs don't recommend pulling a sample after a short drive because it ruins the results.

That said, i'm sure your actual results regarding fuel aren't an issue once the engine gets HOT and burns off the fuel. I wouldn't worry about it.

Decent results for almost 9k and 11 months.

Ill be sure to run it for a good 20 mi on the highway before I pull the next sample. I was really hoping to go for the full 15k with this combo, I might have to get there gradually. Half of that OCI was pretty much city driving when I was in the shipyard so Im not that worried I wont get there eventually. I probably wont even get to 10k miles this go round due to my underway schedule but next year I am mostly inport for the whole year so that will be a good one to have a UOA on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back