OK to use gas that's been sitting all winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, every fall when I put the lawnmower away, I take the the tank that I use to fill the mower and dump any remaining gas into one of our cars. This morning, when getting the lawnmower out for the season, I discovered that I had forgotten to do that. So I have about 1/4 of a 2.5 gallon tank with gas that's been sitting all winter.

Is it safe to use in the mower? Should I mix some Stabil in with it now? Should I just fill the tank and mix it with some new, fresh gas? Should I use a higher octane or anything if I do that?

Put it in the car. I store 30 gals for the generator in 5 gal cans and keep it for 6 months. After 6 months I start using it in the cars. Never a problem.

I don't think Stabil is going to help gas that has already been sitting.

I have used gas that old before, but I dilute it with fresh fuel. You may notice the engines are harder to start or don't run as well.

I'd just top up the 2.5 gallon tank with fresh gas. If you're worried that it might have lost some of it's 'kick', you could step up a grade octane on the refill. But really, for a lawn mower, you should be fine.

At today's gas prices I would use it in a heartbeat! I do it every year, but I try to keep the gas level low at the end of the previous season

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going to top it off with some new, fresh, 87 octane and then run it in the mower. It's a Toro Super Recycler with a B&S that always starts easy and runs strong.

Originally Posted By: tig1
...I store 30 gals for the generator in 5 gal cans and keep it for 6 months. After 6 months I start using it in the cars. Never a problem.

Exactly.

If it's in SEALED storage containers, you're good to go. It will easily last 6mo. If you leave it open to the atmosphere, not so much.

Joel

I spent the extra 35 cents and topped off the tank with Shell's 93 octance V-Power. Filled the power, primed it a handful of times, and it started on the first pull with no problems whatsoever. It also ran just fine while I mowed the lawn, which felt kind of strange since it's only March.

I always tell people to add older (not too old) gas to the gas tank of their car. If it's quite a bit, just use it over the course of weeks. It also makes excellent weed be gone in the cracks of your driveway. Don't tell the EPA.

Last edited:
I never drain any of my machines except the little 2 cycle snow machine. I have a car in storage that started right up with 2 year old gas and hadn't run for 1 year. 2 years is a stretch and I am going to run it out of there.

You will find the yard implements will run just fine.

when it's over $4/gallon at the station, then it's ok to use gas that's been sitting all winter

Just treat it with staybil to begin with and it will be good for next year also. (sealed gas can with as little air at the top as possible, but it probably doesn't matter if its only 1/2 full)

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't gasoline INCREASE in octane as it goes bad, making it harder to burn? Octane is not "power", its resistance to burning/preignition. So adding HIGH octane gasoline to give the kick back to old gasoline would not make sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back