Gapping spark plugs. Metric gapping tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes 03/1995 - 03/1997 ABA CDN,USA
Bosch FR 8 DS or FR 8 DC+ Gap 0.70-0.80 mm.

Trav does your Bosch info specify a gap measurement for their
Platinum Plus single side electrode plug (WR8DPX)? (4002) for my engine??? Or should I assume that the gap mentioned for the plugs above will be correct?

Also the spec you mention is between .7 and .8 mm.
Should I gap to the middle of that specification, .75mm ?

Last edited:
Quote:
Platinum Plus single side electrode plug (WR8DPX)? (4002) for my engine

No it doesn't show this plug for this engine. The 4002 uses a 1.1 mm gap

If i were to use platinum it would be the +4 surface gap FGR8DQP (4418) which is recommended or the FR8DS or FR8DC+ and gap them at 0.75 mm (.030"). Do not regap the FR8DC+ as it is a twin electrode. D= twin electrode C= copper += super plus technology.

This engine requires a plug with the last letter S (0.70) or T (0.80) plug, gap letters do not apply to surface gap styles.
Do not gap platinum or iridium plugs with a round wire type gauge, the centre electrode is easily damaged. If you must regap a fine wire use a flat feeler gauge and lightly tap on the side electrode till the has very slight drag.

Do not regap the 4002 1.1 to 0.75 as the electrode angle will be way out of spec. 0.15 mm is the max +-.

@Trav:

Wow excellent information !!! Do you have any relation with Bosch ???

It' is inteteresting because when you use the consumer version of the Bosch partfinder it actually specifies the 4002 (WR8DPX) for my engine!!! FYI maybe they need to correct that, the only other thing I can think of is that the 1mm gap will work in my car...

BTW currently have Bosch Platinum +2 installed in my car (they have the factory gap at 1.1mm) and have performed excellently.
But they now have 95k miles on them.

I'm glad you told me about the limit on gapping those 4002 version plugs. For kicks I am going to set the gap to .9mm and see how that works.

Again great technical information (which I find fascinating (yes, I'm of German descent) much appreciated!

Quote:
Do you have any relation with Bosch

I some contacts in Bosch who nicely provided a lot of the technical data going back to the thirties.
Wide gap on the plugs is not a real issue but it can strain the ignition system if the gap gets too wide.
0.20-0.30 mm with modern high energy systems isn't a real issue as long as no misfire occurs under boost/load.

So Trav...since the current plugs installed are the +2 Plats
with a gap of 1.1mm and work fine you believe that the 1mm gap of the single electrode plug would also work without a problem in my car as well. It seems to make sense although the +2
are "side firing" I wonder if that makes any significant difference?

Try it but any sign of a misfire yank them. I cant second guess the manufacturer on something like this.
It will probably be fine but its your call.

I would think a "true OEM" plug would come already pre gapped. There is really no way a robot would have adjusted the gap when your engine was built :)

Buy the actual OEM plug and forget everything else. I am not sure if this advice was already given and ignored or not given before.

Assuming you are trying this plug because it was like $0.32 but then are you going to spend $$ to buy dedicated Metric gapping tool?

There are some maintenance items on the car which are relatively speaking cheap and last for at least few years. Trying to go ultra cheap has its own thrill (and I have done that myself) but it is NOT rational. Battery and spark plugs are two of those items. Less than $50-$100 every four years is peanuts compared to other costs of running the vehicle.

I like the thrill of hunt and getting 4 working spark plugs for total of $1.25 is fun but consider the headaches if the things go wrong. By bending the plug tip, it is going to be weak. The plugs could lead to misfire. Persistent misfire is very bad for the rest of the engine including your catalytic converter which costs a *LOT* to replace. If the tip were to break inside the cylinder (you made it weak by bending), it will score the cylinder destroying your engine.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Your advice is good too Vikas!

I didn't just buy these plugs because they were cheap, I chose them because Bosch Platinum's (made in Germany) are very high quality plugs with an excellent track record. It was a great deal on a outstanding product.

I have been using +2 Platinum plugs from Bosch but I just felt like the extra money wasn't worth it for my next set.

As far as adjusting the gap. It is common to adjust the gap of a single electrode plug (within the manufacturers directions) as long as you don't bend back and forth there is no danger of metal fatigue on the side electrode.

Actually depending on which market you are in VW used a number of different plugs as OEM, not just the Silber's VWoA specced in the US market. The ABA (2 Litre) engine is known as the 2E in Europe or ADY in Asia..the block and head is basically identical in all markets with only the design of the intake runners being slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back