mobil delvac or caseih No.1 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2011 versatile 575 with a cummins QSX15 and a versatile 305 MFWD with a cummins QSC 8.3 both Tier 3 engines. Have been using CaseIH No.1 15w40 but was thinking of switching to Mobil delvac 1300super 15w40 to simply things(use mobil trans and hydraulic fluid). Trying to wrap my gray matter around all the specs and getting frustrated. Case is Vicosity oil company and their specs seem as good or better than mobil. Maybe I'm off base. Guess I'm looking for some opinions from people in the know.

http://www.viscosityoil.com/pdf/P1_12.PDF
I gather offroad Tier 3 is similar to EPA 2002/04 for onroad, requiring a CI4+ oil.
The No.1 is a CH4 oil, is that sufficient for your motor?
It does have a nice high TBN and Zn content.
The Delvac Super is a CJ4 oil, slightly lower TBN and definitely lower Zn content. Your engine does not require a lower ash content.

Charlie

These are the specs from operator manual:

Cummins Specification

CES 20076
CES 20078
CES 20081

API Specification

CH-4
CI-4
CJ-4

Welcome to the site!

Seems that any reasonably compliant oil will work given those specs. We know nothing of your OCI plan, but I'll presume you're sticking with OEM intervals (or more frequent). Also, I presume the equipment will be worked in a "normal" manner (it's farm equipment; it's made to be worked hard).

I would not limit yourself to only those two brands. I'd buy whatever is cheapest. If you can get the convenience of bulk buys from your Mobil sourcing (maybe even delivery) then the 1300 makes sense. But you could also shop around for your lube needs to to other marketers.

Do not presume that there is one "best" oil; it's just not true. But there are MANY that will do an excellent job, and then you can use cost competitive valuations to drive your decision.

There are some excellent, long service UOAs from sdan27 in the UOA sub-forms; good information to glean from those. Brand/grade matters little as long as you pick a lube that is "in spec" for your applications.

Last edited:
Either one should do fine, but I'd lean towards the Case #1.
Do you start these in very cold weather? If so, does your equipment have an oil sump pre-heater?

Charlie

I would go with Caseih oil... I wanna say there was a VOA around here and it (alonge with JD brand oil) makes off the shelf HDEO look weak.

these oils are definitely blended to their specs, and not a rebrand of something off the shelf.

Will off the shelf work? absolutely, but based on the VOAs you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Yes tractor will be started in cold weather, but probably not much below 32 F. Primarily a spring, summer and fall workhorse. It has a headbolt heater that heats the coolant and all my tractors are brought back to power source to plug in during cold weather. Do not use ether, in fact I plug the lines and don't even have a can in the injector so no one else gets the idea to use it.

Maybe sticking with case ih would be smart as I currently get it in bulk delivery and use it in a case-ih 8010 combine with Iveco 12.9 with no problems. Just thought I would try to simplify things and cut down on having 10 different oils around.

If you have nothing requiring a CJ-4 oil, have you looked into Mobil Delvac MX 15w-40? It'll be more affordable than the 1300.

It was my understanding that I need a CJ-4 oil. I think the way the recommendation reads is that it has to meet all three CJ-4,CI-4 and CH-4 not just one. Maybe I'm wrong. The manual states that although most popular heavy duty oils meet the API specifications the Cummins CES specifications always take precendence. The way its worded CES 20076, 20078 and 20081 all have to be met.

Its all rather confusing. Sometimes I think they make it that way in case a problem occurs they have an out. Digging through the cummins engine manual I was able to determine cummins fills the engine with Valvoline premium 15w40.

If the engine does not have a particulate filter (which if it is Tier 3 it does not), it does not need to meet CJ4. If it has cooled EGR only as an emission device (not EGR + DPF), it should meet CI4+. If it has neither, CH4 is sufficient.

Charlie

The CaseIH 15w40 is a very good product. If it is convenient to get from your local dealer and reasonably priced, I see no reason not to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back