BMW E90 - front differential leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Looks like my E90 might have small front differential leak sipping ...
Should I tear it out .. or maybe switching to thicker oil is an option ?

Anyone have an idea how much work is involved ?
Dealer says that its sealed unit ... and I should replace it as one piece huh ..

thx

Pics... not mine but it looks same ...
smile.gif

http://www.e90post.com/forums//attachment.php?attachmentid=416221&stc=1&d=1281205505

http://www.e90post.com/forums//attachment.php?attachmentid=416220&stc=1&d=1281205505

http://www.e90post.com/forums//attachment.php?attachmentid=416222&stc=1&d=1281205505

Last edited:
Bar's Leaks Transmission Stop Leak

Does this stuff really works ? Can it be used in Differential ...or its only for transmission ...

I would love to do that ... not sure If I can source gasket ... they call it "sealed" unit ... its pretty new car ... 3 Series 06-11

Originally Posted By: Ndx
I would love to do that ... not sure If I can source gasket ... they call it "sealed" unit ... its pretty new car ... 3 Series 06-11

If it is just sealed with a silicone or RTV, may I suggest going to Ford and getting the Motorcraft "Ford Grey" sealant. It is like the God of silicone. It will seal anything to anything.

Thank you for good tip!

I wonder if I will have to drop Automatic transmission to remove the differential ... it sounds like fun
smile.gif

I see that it has a drain plug. That's good. That means it's already less of a "sealed unit" than a lot of the differentials that have been on domestic trucks for decades. There must be a check/fill plug too. If you can keep an eye on it and add a little once a year or so maybe it's not even losing enough to bother going further. I wouldn't use additives though unless there's no other option below complete replacement. If it's a gasket or seal leaking it should be serviceable. The dealer's idea of replacing a differential because of a gasket or seal leak seems absurd to me.

Clean it off and find out where its leaking from. It could be from one of the plugs and might just need a new washer. If its leaking from the joint shown in the pictures, you might try just tightening those bolts. Or just don't worry and top it off with fluid. If it was my car I wouldn't use any sort of stop leak product. The diffs on my old bmws were often wet but never leaked enough to be low on fluid. Consider yourself lucky to have such a thoughful car that it rustproofs itself.

it takes such little seepage to get to what you see there that I wouldnt worry about it. Just change the lube periodically - I doubt youll even see a drop in level!

I think leaks and BMW goes hand in hand. I believe that almost all of the BMW's that I have sat under while performing alignments have oil all over the bottom. Hopefully it's an easy repair.

Don't know about that. My 155,000 mile e46 has no leaks at all; it's called maintenance.

What year is the car? How many miles? I think it's too young to start letting it go.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Consider yourself lucky to have such a thoughful car that it rustproofs itself.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
I think leaks and BMW goes hand in hand. I believe that almost all of the BMW's that I have sat under while performing alignments have oil all over the bottom.

I think we have a clue why rust is never mentioned on BMW's!

E90
328XI

20K Km on it.
No warranty!

And this looks to be a common problem a lot of posts showing on BMW forums.

I will check level and I will be just topping it up.

Thank you guys!

It's kind of trouble to have a gasket go so early. I expect to get at least 10 years out of most seals. If it's a common problem, it could indicate a design flaw.

Although my personal view on leaks is, if the leaking part isn't dripping on the ground or on anything else, it's not big enough to worry about.

If you can find torque specs, I'd probably put a torque wrench on any related bolts you can access the next time you're under there.

I have seen many Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, and Dodge charger models that had a leak from the differential that is connected to the independent rear suspension.

I wonder if the same company that made troublesome differentials for Chrysler did the same for BMW.

How is it not under warranty if it's a 2011? And, how the [censored] is it leaking if it's only a year old car...talk about quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back