Ford/Motorcraft Friction Modifier Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '94 F150 Lighting (5.8L; E4OD; 8.8/4.10 differential).

The gear lube is 75W-140 with the additional of 5oz. of Friction Modifier.

Is there an off-the-shelf equivalent or alternative to the Motorcraft Friction Modifier that will satisfy this requirement?

Preferably an alternative more readily/easily obtainable (i.e. A trip the parts store as opposed to a trip to the dealer).

Around here all auto parts stores stock limited slip additive. Many of them stock the Motorcraft brand. Why not call and ask?

Its been my experience that the Ford stuff is the best in their diffs, its worth the extra money and the trip. Just buy it online?

The royal purple gear oil used to come with friction modifier in it already. Might be worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its been my experience that the Ford stuff is the best in their diffs, its worth the extra money and the trip. Just buy it online?

Same here, and my local Blue Oval dealer sells the STINKY (in smell ONLY, NOT quality!!
wink.gif
) XL-3 stuff for less than ANY of the local parts stores/NAPAs do (those that actually stock it).

I heard from somewhere the Ford and GM friction modifier was made by Redline. it's the same color at least..
no reason to not use the Ford stuff, since it's very reasonably priced, even from the dealership

Originally Posted By: EricF
I heard from somewhere the Ford and GM friction modifier was made by Redline. it's the same color at least.

I can see that possibly for the GM stuff (I have used Red Line's FM in the past).
But NOT for the Motorcraft XL-3, which has at least 10,000x the stench of the GM stuff (and any others), and is green in color (vs. amber/dark gold for the rest).
wink.gif

Wherever I worked, if I had to use LS additives, the salesman would order "Trans-X" brand LS additive, and I never had a single problem with it. The best thing about it was that nearly all auto part stores had it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I heard from somewhere the Ford and GM friction modifier was made by Redline. it's the same color at least.

I can see that possibly for the GM stuff (I have used Red Line's FM in the past).
But NOT for the Motorcraft XL-3, which has at least 10,000x the stench of the GM stuff (and any others), and is green in color (vs. amber/dark gold for the rest).
wink.gif

Ford and GM modifiers are very different except for the GTO. I actually use Type F Torco modifier in my GTO, but found out the stuff the dealer used to sell me was the exact same as the Ford modifier except the Pontiac/Holden stuff didn't have any dyes.

It really is the worst smelling automotive fluid additive on the planet.

Originally Posted By: Torrid

wink.gif

Ford and GM modifiers are very different except for the GTO. I actually use Type F Torco modifier in my GTO, but found out the stuff the dealer used to sell me was the exact same as the Ford modifier except the Pontiac/Holden stuff didn't have any dyes.

Yes, and absolutely THE most pervasive as well!!
37.gif

I've had the Ford XL-3 stuff in an unopened, sealed bottle, cap on as tight as it will go, inside of 10, YES 10 sealed plastic freezer bags, and the stench STILL came through all of that, and stunk up the cellar despite the whole thing being in a closed lid plastic tote container!!!!!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Torrid

wink.gif

Yes, and absolutely THE most pervasive as well!!
37.gif

I've had the Ford XL-3 stuff in an unopened, sealed bottle, cap on as tight as it will go, inside of 10, YES 10 sealed plastic freezer bags, and the stench STILL came through all of that, and stunk up the cellar despite the whole thing being in a closed lid plastic tote container!!!!!!!
crazy2.gif

try stocking that stuff by the case.... its great when someone gets into the parts dept that does not belong and stumbles past that aisle. I have been asked many times if there's a dead animal somewhere.

I had to toss my remaining supply when I moved to Vegas. I made the mistake of leaving it in the car instead of packing it in the moving truck. I couldn't take it for the whole drive and the car smelled for the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back