2010 VW Golf variant 1.6TDI, 27k kilometer oil cha

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil change on a 1.6 TDI in Germany. Car has the Long life OCI option. The MFD showed 1900 km left on the oil when it was changed. Total mileage is at 27,048km.

Opinions? Recommendations?

Thanks.

img004.jpg

well you are in germany... not sure how they do stuff over there..

but I'd usually recommend 1-2 shorter changes to get all the new engine crud out.. but VW says.. you dont have to.

I guess you Germans have more money than brains....

Enjoy buying yourself a new car in a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Hmm, lets list Canadian companies that are on par with Mercedes,VW ,BMW hmm... none. zero you guys have nothing.

'long oci option'. I wonder what that is? 16,800 miles. The UOA looks pretty good.

You are braver than I! No way would I run a factory fill even close to this interval.

I always load new engines REALLY hard (but I don't go crazy with the rpms)and dump the FF by 1000 miles. I've been rewarded with great wearing engines that are very stingy on oil and return great FE.

To each their own however. I don't believe my way is the only way and I'm sure the engine will be fine. You've done nothing wrong in VWs eyes, I just don't believe it's optimal.

Aluminum of 111, Nickle of 66, Chromium of 7.....I know it's the first interval, but those level show that major, major engine damage is occuring.

Yes, some of it is break-in, but this is past break-in - this is where the break in metals have made the oil abrasive, and the pistons and rings are being ground down.

I KNOW oil is $$$ in Europe, but cars are even more expensive, apparently the OP hasn't learned this.

The OP has not been back, and I can't say that I blame him after all the rude comments. Things are done differently in Europe. VW says this OCI is OK, and the OP went with it. There's no reason to make rude comments about someone following the manufacturer's recommendation.

VW used to recommend the initial change be shorter, at least here in the US with the TDIs. First change at 5000 then 10000 thereafter. I think this is probably good advice for even the long-life OCI enabled TDI. First change at 8000KM, then follow long-life OCI thereafter.

I wonder what kind of mileage this vehicle gets. The 1.6 Common Rail TDI has about the same HP and torque as the original ALH/ANU 1.9 TDIs (96-04) had here in the US. The 2.0 common rail does not get as good as mileage as the old TDIs did, but I bet the 1.6 would, in a Golf or Beetle at least.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
The OP has not been back, and I can't say that I blame him after all the rude comments. Things are done differently in Europe. VW says this OCI is OK, and the OP went with it. There's no reason to make rude comments about someone following the manufacturer's recommendation..

Yeah it's embarrassing to see comments like that. I would have changed the oil sooner than what VW recommends but it doesn't mean anyone who goes the full distance is dumb.

Here's the second report after another 15,264km. By the way, I don't have any issue with rude comments, this is the internet by the way
cool.gif
IMO, the jiffy lubes and others in the US have kept people thinking they need to change oil every 3000k miles or death will occur. The shops here in germany aren't so interested in making a quick buck by trying to get you to change your oil too frequently. My dealer would be hesitant to change the oil earlier than the service interval reminder suggests. Just a different culture so I'm going along with it.

My last car in the US was an Infiniti G35 and I changed it's oil every 6k miles with non-synthetic. Had no issues when I sold it at 90k miles. My brother used to change the oil in our mother's car 3x a year when she only drove 2k miles an entire year! I've since convinced him to do yearly oil changes.

Golf%20oil%20report.jpg

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Hmm, lets list Canadian companies that are on par with Mercedes,VW ,BMW hmm... none. zero you guys have nothing.

'long oci option'. I wonder what that is? 16,800 miles. The UOA looks pretty good.

Yep.We got nothing but clean water and air,lakes you can swim in,work for everyone and health care for all.
Yep,if thats nothing please someone show me what something is.
As far as that rude post by a canadian he is the exception,not the rule but to trash an entire population on a single persons comments does show the depth of your person.do stay on your side of those fences your building,as you can already see we have enough idiots here already.
As far as this uoa goes I really dont see where the more money than brains comment comes from.Obviously the oil is doing fine in the OP's application and I look forward for more stats to come.

Originally Posted By: Heidelberger75
Here's the second report after another 15,264km. By the way, I don't have any issue with rude comments, this is the internet by the way
cool.gif
IMO, the jiffy lubes and others in the US have kept people thinking they need to change oil every 3000k miles or death will occur. The shops here in germany aren't so interested in making a quick buck by trying to get you to change your oil too frequently. My dealer would be hesitant to change the oil earlier than the service interval reminder suggests. Just a different culture so I'm going along with it.

My last car in the US was an Infiniti G35 and I changed it's oil every 6k miles with non-synthetic. Had no issues when I sold it at 90k miles. My brother used to change the oil in our mother's car 3x a year when she only drove 2k miles an entire year! I've since convinced him to do yearly oil changes.

Golf%20oil%20report.jpg

European oils are better formulated for longer drains as well,so that helps extending the interval too. Engine seems to be just fine with your maintenance plan and if anything it looks as though you can extend it even further.
Right on

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Bombardier comes to mind,pretty sure we build world class planes here too,perhaps a simple google search could open your eyes to see past the end of your nose.
Do tell us exactly whats going on in your part of the world that gives you such a sense of superiority

Aluminum of 111, Nickle of 66, Chromium of 7.....I know it's the first interval, but those level show that major, major engine damage is occuring.

Yes, some of it is break-in, but this is past break-in - this is where the break in metals have made the oil abrasive, and the pistons and rings are being ground down.

I KNOW oil is $$$ in Europe, but cars are even more expensive, apparently the OP hasn't learned this.

No they don't.

The engine is still running on the bloody break-in oil. They don't tell us ANYTHING. This is why we TREND UOA's, not freak-out at the results from a single sample.

Originally Posted By: Heidelberger75
cool.gif

Golf%20oil%20report.jpg

Looks like it is trending down nicely
thumbsup2.gif

Yup good report. Engine hasn't even broken in yet so those wear metal numbers are nothing to worry about. Flashpoint and TBN and contaminant levels are fine so I'd keep doing what you are doing and maybe go to 20,000km or yearly changes.

It's obvious that not many folks know about break in figures for a new engine or about the OCI that is best for breaking in a new engine.
UOA gives very strange results with very high wear metals after the first oil change, that is perfectly normal.
It is very important not to ignore the recommended first OCI or do short OCI's for the next few changes because you want a semi abrasive oil to help bed the rings and polish up the bearings. The factory fill is a special oil mix that often has different additives that aid the initial bedding in process,dumping it early is one big mistake that can have long term consequences.
The only thing I don't like in this UOA is the fuel contamination, although it could just be caused by too much time at idle or short tripping. It might be worth asking the dealer about that figure just in case one of the injectors got dinged during assembly or the fuel filter is defective.

Don't know why the fuel contamination was there but it cleared up for the second uoa. Someone on tdiclub thought the previous owner might have used biodiesel thereby causing it. I bought the car with 16k km and it was a rental so I doubt it had any fuel in it other than the standard German pump diesel. Also, all diesel in Germany is allowed to have up to 7% biodiesel.

Oh yeah, vw does NOT use special breakin oil in the factory fill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back