RLI 5W-40 vs. M1 0W-40 for Track/Street C6Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Z06 and am trying to decide between RLI 5W-40 and Mobile 1 0W-40 (European blend). This is not a daily driver; I do a fair amount of track days as well as weekend driving, so need an oil that can best hold up at 250+ oil temps and cover the whole spectrum. I currently use M1 5-W30, which is what GM recommends.

From the research I've done it seems that RLI has one of the best additive packages and is the way to go. My only concern is the lack of sequence and engine testing and no industry certification. Can an oil analysis really replicate results from sequence testing... wear-related metals clinging to parts of the engine, etc? I know very little about this, which is why I was hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge you guys possess on the subject. I'm just really afraid of gambling with my engine as I don't have the funds to replace it if something goes wrong. Should I give RLI a shot or go with a proven and certified (API/ILSAC) M1 0W-40? Many thanks for your time and feedback!

Have you thought of using Redline 5w-30? High HTHS for a 30-weight oil.

Otherwise, Mobil 1 0w-40 should work fine.

Last edited:
35.gif
lol another RL versus mobil 1 0w40

I use Redline 0w30/40 for my high compression ratio, forced-induction Bimmer for track and autocross days and could not be happier. I personally believe that the type of oil becomes more important as engine power, complexity, and strenuous use increase. Redline is held in very high regard as a race oil, and while my experience is merely anecdotal, I still fully trust my engine to Redline. Mobil 0w40 is a good oil, but for track use I prefer the GrpV RL to any GrpIII oil.

First welcome to BITOG!

RLI 5W-40 much heavier than M1 0W-40 and is too heavier for even track use in your Z06. A comparable oil in terms of HTHSV would be RLI 0W-30 (Enzo formula).
Both oils are of course much heavier thab the spec' M1 5W-30 and 250F oil temp's isn't really necessary yo jump all the way to a 40wt oil as long as you're still able to get 50 psi at maximum rev's. If your OP is dipping down below 50 psi you could go 50/50 with M1 5W-30/0W-40; you certainly won't need to go any heavier than that unless you're seeing higher oil temp's than 250F.

If you're interested in trying bio-ester based RLI I'd go with a 50/50 blend of their 0W-20/0W-30. This will still give you a heavy 0W-30 oil, heavier than M1 5W-30.

Hope this helps.

For what it's worth, the Porsche Flying Lizard Le Mans team uses M1 0W-40 right off the shelf in their GT3 RSR race cars. 500hp car seeing red line for up to 24 hours stints at a time with no noted premature engine failures. If it's good enough for them, probably good enough for your Vette.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
If it's good enough for them, probably good enough for your Vette.

Not really a good analogy since M1 0W-40 is the spec' oil for all Porsches. M1 5W-30 is the spec' oil for all Corvettes including the 638 hp ZR-1.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
If it's good enough for them, probably good enough for your Vette.

Not really a good analogy since M1 0W-40 is the spec' oil for all Porsches. M1 5W-30 is the spec' oil for all Corvettes including the 638 hp ZR-1.

Well aware of the M1 5W-30 being the spec oil for the Corvette among other GM vehicles.

What does it matter if he is the one considering switching from the 5W-30 the 0W-40? Car type is irrelevant. Thought I'd give him some kind of relevant info on this oil when it's put to it's limits.

Last edited:
GM always states only 5w30 in the later cars. Mine says 5w30 or 10w30 in my LS1. They recommend running a qt over for track use, but not to change grade. I don't track my car, but I would use Mobil 1 0w40 if I did. I do use it when I can get it on sale, but mix 2 qts 0w40 with 4 qts 5w30 which is a half qt over.

0w40 should suit you fine.

Regarding use in 24hrs Le Mans cars: It is my opinion that the oils used in such applications have ZERO RELEVANCE to anything talked about here, as those are professional race teams with 7-8 figures into that car/engine, which gets rebuilt more often than anyone here changes their oil! I put around 75-100hrs of track/autocross time on my car per year, yet it has had zero rebuilds because, just like the OP's Z06, it is a track-dominating STREET CAR.

Sorry, it just bugs me when people equate a race team's oil choice with that oil being a "good oil". Spend 100hrs at a road course and talk with people who put their own $50-100k into their engine, and I bet the longest lasting cars are those who get the best oil, on the track or on the street, not whatever oil company is sponsoring them to use...

Mobil1 actually recommends their 0W-40 or 15W-50 for a street car driven at the track. With RLI, I would probably go with the 5W-30 since I recall that it has an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. You could probably email RLI and ask for a viscosity recommendation.

-Dennis

Skip Barber ran the SRT Track Experience for years and used only M1 0w-40 in all SRT vehicles. This was from the turbo 4 banger in the neon SRT-4 to the supercharged V-6 in the SRT-6 to the 425 hp N/A SRT-8's and even the mighty SRT-10 in both Ram trucks and Vipers.

They never experienced a single engine failure. That must be a decent oil, eh?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Skip Barber ran the SRT Track Experience for years and used only M1 0w-40 in all SRT vehicles. This was from the turbo 4 banger in the neon SRT-4 to the supercharged V-6 in the SRT-6 to the 425 hp N/A SRT-8's and even the mighty SRT-10 in both Ram trucks and Vipers.

They never experienced a single engine failure. That must be a decent oil, eh?

Again talking about different applications doesn't really make a lot of sense. There is no argument that M1 0W-40 is a good track oil.

Another comment for the OP, upon further refection 250F (120C) is not too hot for M1 5W-30 or anything to really to be concerned about and this should be reflected in adequate oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
GM always states only 5w30 in the later cars. Mine says 5w30 or 10w30 in my LS1. They recommend running a qt over for track use, but not to change grade.

The half to full quart over thing is fine in a wet-sumped LS1 (I do it myself).
But I am not too sure it is advisable/suggested by GM in a stock system, dry-sumped LS7, even for open track use.

Anyone know for sure??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Torrid
GM always states only 5w30 in the later cars. Mine says 5w30 or 10w30 in my LS1. They recommend running a qt over for track use, but not to change grade.

The half to full quart over thing is fine in a wet-sumped LS1 (I do it myself).
But I am not too sure it is advisable/suggested by GM in a stock system, dry-sumped LS7, even for open track use.

Anyone know for sure??
21.gif

I would say the OP should check his manual. Most LS owner's manuals stipulate this because the oil pickup is near the front of the pan and hard acceleration and hard corning can cause aeration. I wasn't aware the LS7 had a different oiling setup.

Another thing to consider, the new SN M1 5w30 is using a completely new additive system compared to the M1 0w40, which looks like Mobil 1 SL in terms of additive levels. The new SN M1 though has looked very good so far from UOA's, if that means anything to you.

One of M1's best qualities has always been that it can also be used on the track because it can handle high temperatures.

RLI is probably an outstanding oil, I just don't know enough about it. A former member here said it's the best and it held up in his application better than any other oil on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back