Advice on buying pressure washer replacement pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Craftsman pressure washer 12 years old that the pump finally went out. Has a strong running B&S 6.5 OHV engine but a basic pump that finally went out. I believe it was rated at 2400 psi. I'm overwhelmed with looking at pumps on the internet. My pump has the 3/4" shaft with four mounting bolts in a square pattern. Whats the best pump?? Looking at Comet, Cat, and Annovi Reverberi. Anywhere from $99-450 dollars. It will not receive commercial duty but moderate home use. Need something that has good parts availability. How big a pump can I go up to with the 6.5 hp??? Whats the best place to buy one?? Thanks, Tom

I bought a Comet of ebay a while ago and its been a good pump.
Before i bought it i did a bit of research and read a lot of negatives about AR (Annovi Reverberi), folks seemed to prefer the Comet and Cat.

I worked with pwpump.com and they were knowledgeable and patient and have lots of info. The guy I worked with was [email protected].

They sell many pumps, and rate them by hours of use the pump will give.

Is yours a vert or horz. shaft engine?

Also they do make rebuild kits for the pumps. Thats a possibility.

How did your pump go? Did you have the engine running and not use the pump for any period of time? Did it freeze.

In most cases the pumps that come with the big box store pressure washers are cheap. Surprised you got 12 years out of it. You could spend several hundred on a pump alone, but consider your engine, etc are 12 years old.

Maybe craigslist for a like new one would be a better avenue.

If you need a horz. shaft pump, I may have one for sale. PWPUMP shipped me the wrong one and I decided to keep it and look for a broken PW engine & frame to put it in. Then I found an electric hot water PW for a few hundred. I have a variety of PWs I plan to sell in the spring. They are like rabbits, I went from 1 to 4 or 5. Workshop heaters, went from 0 to 4 or 5.

It's a horizontal shaft engine. It's a generac pump that was at best a very medicore pump, with constant unloader valve issues....suprised it lasted 12 years. Engine has always been a good runner.

Interested in how large a pump a 6.5 hp engine can power.

Tom

That engine will have major difficulty turning a 3 gpm at 3000 psi. That engine will run a 6 gpm at 1000psi but it cant do very much.

I run hotsy pumps in my trucks that are connected to a 3 cyl diesel and they do 8 gpm at 3000psi with a diesel fired hot water burner. The 1.18L engine has a 100 amp alt on it that powers a true 5000 watt inverter which powers the ignitor and the fan in the burner. the same fuel tank that feeds the engine feeds the burner. That is a perfect combo for the pressure and flow. The setup lasts thousands of hours with only oil changes.

For you you need to figure out if you want pressure or volume. You can have both but it will be 2 gpm at 2200 - 2700 psi. You could put a 1.7 and run it at 3000 psi but the flow is pretty light. a 3 gpm at 1500 - 2200 max would give you a good at home wash unit. Put a hose barb end on your gun and you can shoot water and soap mix up to 30ish feet. With a 3 gpm you could run a small surface cleaner or a water broom. Put two 1.5 gpm nozzles in the two bar surface cleaner and run it at 2200 psi and you could clean concrete at a good at home pace.

I would also put an external unloader on it with a guage so you can control it good and know what the pressure is all the time. I can show you a couple pics if you like of my setup which has minimal in common with yours but its still cool.

I have a Honda 5.5 hp horizontal engine with a Annovi Reverberi pump. My brother used it and poof the pump was shooting water when I next went to use it.. I bought a Cat pump off Ebay and have not got around to putting it on. It was a pretty good price new unit. I'm putting on a pressure gauge and thermal release valve etc.

Originally Posted By: daddi
It's a horizontal shaft engine. It's a generac pump that was at best a very medicore pump, with constant unloader valve issues....suprised it lasted 12 years. Engine has always been a good runner.

Interested in how large a pump a 6.5 hp engine can power.

Tom

More than likely it `s the cheap one season wonder FAIP pump.

Thanks for all the replies!! Looks like ebay is the place to buy one. Looking at some Comets and cats for around $200. Tom

Check out the pawn shops and see if they have any real pressure washers for a decent price. I wouldn't spend a couple hundred to fix a $300 machine.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have a Honda 5.5 hp horizontal engine with a Annovi Reverberi pump. My brother used it and poof the pump was shooting water when I next went to use it.. I bought a Cat pump off Ebay and have not got around to putting it on. It was a pretty good price new unit. I'm putting on a pressure gauge and thermal release valve etc.

The release valve, are you talking pressure or thermal.

Typically the pressure washers have a pressure unloader that recycles water back through the pump when you are not holding the trigger. That works fine for making sure the pressure does not build up. However recycling the water allow the heat to build up. The machine can take it for a minute or two, but best to shut it down if it will be over a few minutes. Some parts of the valves are plastic.

Cat pumps have earned their rep, they are terrific. Most can be rebuilt very cheaply, too.

We run a lot of them in our biz, and they easily go 4000 hours of use! Pretty good service.

Thermal valve. I think my brother let it heat up from letting it run too long without pulling the trigger.
Cat 3DNX27GSI
PUMP FEATURES
Triplex plunger design provides a smooth liquid flow.
Specially formulated V-Packings and concentric
solid ceramic plungers assure true wear surface
and extended seal life.
Ultra-compact, hollow-shafted pump for direct
mounting to gas engine.
Integral Regulating Unloader with built-in by-pass
standard on all units to assure system pressure
control and pump protection.
Fixed chemical injector standard on all units
offers cleaning flexibility.
Stacked valve design for ease in servicing.
Swivel garden hose fitting with filter screen for
easy inlet connection.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

The release valve, are you talking pressure or thermal.

Typically the pressure washers have a pressure unloader that recycles water back through the pump when you are not holding the trigger. That works fine for making sure the pressure does not build up. However recycling the water allow the heat to build up. The machine can take it for a minute or two, but best to shut it down if it will be over a few minutes. Some parts of the valves are plastic.

Last edited:
I had the same setup as the OP. I bought a pump of a supplier on eBay several years ago. The new pump works better than the OE aluminum pump ever did.

The only issue is it's hard to start (pull) than the OE one, more so when it's hot. The pump is 1/2 the cost of a new unit though.

Just an update on the pressure washer status. Ordered this pump last week from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/250838479515

Got it hooked up yesterday and man this things a hoss!!!

A big difference from a homeowner grade pump to a more commercial grade. You really need to hand onto the wand when this thing gets kickin. Whereas the original pump barely loaded the engine down, this thing really does. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back