Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal preference. Unless you have a predisposition or desire to get something else in there, run it for the full, manufacturer-recommended OCI. Then put in what you want.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Personal preference. Unless you have a predisposition or desire to get something else in there, run it for the full, manufacturer-recommended OCI. Then put in what you want.

+1

Use the OLM or the manual on my GM dexos says if you don't reach 0% in one year then it needs to be changed regardless. Most people will say personal preference does prevail, everyone needs to have that warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd probably get it out around 1K, but that is just personal preference.
An early drain is probably not strictly necessary, but it always makes me feel better.
In general, the engine will outlast every other part of the car, and you could do much worse than to use the exellent GM OLM to determine the proper change intervals for this car, including the factory fill.
If GM really thought that an early drian was needed, they'd recommend it, as Subaru does.

10,000 miles?

I also was under the impression that the cars DONT come with "break-in" oil anymore, which AFAIK tended to be very thin oil so parts could "seat" themselves, etc (I have seen the manuals that say "Drive at varying speeds not exceeding 85MPH for first 1500 miles to seat engine." That was a Year 2000 car. Volkswagen Beetle)

Originally Posted By: fxrider
85 mph in a Beetle?

I want a 2006 Burnt Orange Turbo Beetle or Turbo Beetle S myself.

Also. The 2.0 is pretty torquey. Could probably do like 130MPH in a Beetle. (New) cars are faster than old Ferrari 308s

The OLM is trending 1% @ 150 KM.Since the sump capacity to dispacment cc ratio is 3 to 1 that is 4 LITERS oil to 1.4 LITERS dis.I feel OK with 10K OC. Thanks to all.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: fxrider
85 mph in a Beetle?

I want a 2006 Burnt Orange Turbo Beetle or Turbo Beetle S myself.

Also. The 2.0 is pretty torquey. Could probably do like 130MPH in a Beetle. (New) cars are faster than old Ferrari 308s
Now That would be funny to see, a Turbo Beetle beating a 308GT ..BTW formula 1 is on speed channel right now..

Last edited:
Off topic, but doesnt all car manufactures start and run there engins before they go into a car or truck? Seems like I read that somewhere that all makes start each engine and let them run at 2000-2600 rpm for 30 minutes and then dump the fluids and ship to assembly line. Dont remember where I read that though.

I would go between 1K and 2K and dump it. There is plenty of empirical evidence to show that a new engine will create much more wear metal in the first 2K-5K miles and most (at least I) would not want that floating around in the engine.

I prefer to change the factory fill at 2,000-3,000 miles. That is what everybody in my family has ever done, and I am the only person in my family that ever experienced major engine problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back