How are Primewells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money is tight and I need tires.

I was looking at Firestone's install shop and they have Primewell PZ900 tires for a great price, but I've never heard of them.

Who makes them, and how are they? I've heard mixed reviews, but I trust you guys the most.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Discount Tire Direct is running $100 off in their eBay store, and they always have free shipping.

I think you'll find something decent in there. Primewells and other store branded tires should generally be avoided as you can usually find something better for the same price.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Money is tight and I need tires.

I was looking at Firestone's install shop and they have Primewell PZ900 tires for a great price, but I've never heard of them.

Who makes them, and how are they? I've heard mixed reviews, but I trust you guys the most.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Primewell tires are made for Firestone as a store brand/private label tire. IDK who makes them for Firestone. Some research may bring up some information but, maybe not!

As Critic stated, better tires can be had with some searching online. Tires that are held in high regard in customer reviews and tire testing facilities.

Discount Tire Direct and The Tire Rack are good places to start. Unless you need tires tomorrow, take your time and do some searching/learning. We'll Help!

If you want to be sure where your tires are made, look on the sidewall for the DOT code.
the first 2 characters after DOT signify a specific plant.(ex: DOT BE XX XXX XXX)
to look up what plant that code belongs to, use this page:
search manufacturers database
In my above example, the BE plant code comes back as Uniroyal Goodrich, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

if buying us/canadian union(USW) made tires is important to you, look for the codes on this list:
DOT codes for United Steel Workers made tires

another example:
the Yokohama YK520(195/55 R15)'s, that I'm currently running, show a CC code, made in a USW plant in Salem, VA.

Last edited:
Garbage tires. You and your family ride on the tires, why cut corners? I could see on certian things trying to save money, but usually I go name brand tires and brakes for peace of mind. Go major label, besides the better rubber, they usually last longer. I routinely see Kumho and Sumis dry rotting after 5 years or so while my Michelin snows are going on 7 years with no cracks or rotting at all.

Our older Subaru came on Primewells when we bought it.
They held air and that is about the best thing I can say about them.
They developed serious structural problems in the 10K we used them on the car, although they still had plenty of tread remaining.
I put a set of Altimax HPs on the car in October, and they are very nice tires at a really decent price.
When you write "great price", what size and what price did you have in mind?
There are $40.00-$80.00 rebates avaialable on sets of various Dunlop and Goodyear tires. There is also a $70.00 rebate on Michelins purchased from various retailers, including Tire Rack.
Finally, if you want a good tire cheap, consider the Altimax RT or HP. The HP is a directional sportier tire, while the RT is a longer wearing one.
We have a set of each on two of our cars, and I am very happy with them.

The Primewells (Force 4 All Terrain, 35x12.50R16.5D) on my uncle's F250 are pretty good...traction is good, much quieter than I expected, they balanced easily (one only needed 3/4oz of weight). Chinese tires are NOT all bad. Please note: the most advanced truck tire factory IN THE WORLD is the Doublecoin plant in Shanghai!

They are high speed rated tire. If they are for your Mustang and you drive very fast often, I would not trust them. If you are just putting around town and will replace them in a year or two when things get better and they are by far the least expensive tite you can get, then go for it.

Reviews from UK.

Primewell

Another review

Thanks for all the help!

They are for the Mustang. 235-50 18's.

The same Firestone dealer has Firehawk GT's for a bit more, how are those. I'm definately not going Primewell now.

Thanks alot!

Back in olden days my sister had a habit op popping a tire about once a week or so on her Corolla. She'd go through about two wheels a year as well. I made her buy a set of $36 Primewells because they're cheap and heavy. Grip was not a concern in the areas where she drives. Buy 'made' I mean I took the her car and her credit card to the Firestone store and told her about it later. Three of them lasted so long the tread wore out. I don't think any tire ever wore out its tread on that car before.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Discount Tire Direct is running $100 off in their eBay store, and they always have free shipping.

The deal is actually a $100 visa card, not a $100 discount. Basically, it's a rebate that they give you on a card. Plus, it's only on "select" tires and wheels. I didn't look to see what models it includes.

I have a $50 visa card one right now and I'm finding it somewhat difficult to use.

As others have mentioned, they're likely Chinese. The ones I've looked at were Chinese. I won't buy Chinese tires, but that's just me. I try to avoid Chinese products, especially for something as critical to my safety as tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
When looking for tires there is only one choice:

3449.jpg

If you don't mind selling a few organs to pay for them...

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
When looking for tires there is only one choice:

If you don't mind selling a few organs to pay for them...

What vlaue do you put on your life?

I love the Michelin's on my Mitsubishi's. I use to have a set of Rikens and one of them slowly came apart on the highway. Never again will I buy cheap tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back