Need recommendation for high mileage BMW X5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great forum! I'd love to ask your opinion on what the best oil is for me. The essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2002 BMW X5 3.0i WITH 158k MILES. PICKED IT UP AT THE FACTORY MYSELF 10 YEARS AGO. AFTER THE FIRST 36K, I USED M1 OR CASTROL SYNTHETIC. LATELY STARTED USING SYN BLEND JUST TO REDUCE COST.
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
"API SH OR HIGHER. APPROVED OILS ARE IN SAE CLASSES 5W-40 AND 5W-30."
3. Where you live
LAS VEGAS, NV - HIGHS RANGE FROM 40F IN WINTER TO 110F IN SUMMER. ONLY 1 OR 2 NIGHTS PER YEAR ARE BELOW FREEZING.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
HARD. JACKRABBITS HAVE NOTHING ON US. FAST. LIKE 70-90 ON ANY HIGHWAY. POOR LITTLE I6, I'M STANDING ON IT ALL THE TIME AND IT'S A HEAVY VEHICLE. LET ME STATE NOW: NO I'M NOT CHANGING MY DRIVING STYLE.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
A COUPLE OF SHORT TRIPS (5 miles each way, mostly surface streets stop&go at 40mph) EVERY DAY; OCCASIONAL WEEKEND DRIVE FOR AN HOUR OR TWO.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
HAD HEAD GASKET LEAKAGE THAT WAS FIXED A FEW MONTHS AGO TO RESOLVE VISIBLE DRIPPING. NOW STILL BURNING OIL AT A RATE OF 1 QT / 2-3 WEEKS. THAT'S PROBABLY MORE THAN THE 1 QT / 1000 MILES THAT BMW SAYS IS WITHIN SPEC. DON'T KNOW OUR MONTHLY MILEAGE. INCREASED BURN RATE MIGHT BE RELATED TO USE OF VALVOLINE SYN BLEND LAST 6 QUARTS, DON'T KNOW.

I've never used any engine recovery additive but it sounds like some people recommend them for a high-miler like mine. Any serious downsides I should worry about or go ahead and try it?

Thanks,
AJ

If I may, to get more nuance to the recommendations, could you briefly explain why you recommend M1 over other oils?

What of long-life formulas to potentially bring down blow-by? What of engine "healing" additives?

Thanks,
AJ

The M1 0w40 is the most "modern" of the LL-01 oils. It also has a list of certs and approvals longer than any other oil. It means it is the most "qualified" oil for your application. I run it in my M5.

Originally Posted By: Northstar702
If I may, to get more nuance to the recommendations, could you briefly explain why you recommend M1 over other oils?

What of long-life formulas to potentially bring down blow-by? What of engine "healing" additives?

Thanks,
AJ

You cannot beat the 0W-40 M1 with a stick. It is a terrific oil. The only reason to use anything else is if you have consumption issues.

If you are typical that vehicle will have some deposit issues. Consider a dose of Kreen in the gas and oil soon. It can be tremendously helpful.

Most other additives are not your friend.

With your miles, I would first try a 3K OCI with M1 10W40 HM and see how oil consumption goes. If you see any improvement, I would go another OCI with Mobil 1 HM and push it out to 5K... Its a very good(excellent)oil and it will not negatively effect your engine in any way. It should only help.

I would try M1 HM before going to Kreen.

M1 0W40 is a great oil but you have some issues that possibly could be helped with Mobil 1 HM.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It also doesn't hurt that most WMs here has the 10w40 HM in 5qt jugs. With the 0w40 you'll have to wait for a parts store sale to get a deal.

I'd see if the PCV system is fouled with deposits. Trying to reduce oil consumption by oil choice without making sure the PCV system is working properly would not be wise.

Note that kreen would not only quickly get the rings free of coke and moving but also evaporates through the PCV and cleans that too!

check the pvc, It's the most likely cause of oil consumption.
I would run bmw certified ll-01 0w30. but because oil conumption, use mobil 0w40 or 5w40. if consumption still high, run the bmw 10w60. A lot of people here use it in exactly that engine, with great result

If you're burning that much, I'd replace the CCV ASAP. They are almost always the cause of oil consumption in these motors, and you don't want it to suddenly decide to suck up all the oil in the crankcase.

I hope his oil consumption is pcv related. I would be kinda dissapointed with that consumption rate in such an expensive car. I also realise it is a performance engine and it could be worn. Maybe rings from spirited driving. I wonder how much a re ring would cost. Too bad you didnt check it out when you had the head off. Maybe one of you guy's piston soaks will help it. If the pcv is not the case. welcome to the forum!!

That engine is not worn out. try cleaning pcv or ccv. It there are clean. run 10w60 oil. if it was clogged and clean now. use ll01 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back