Valvoline DOT 3/4 "synthetic brake fluid? Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just was checking out the Valvoline site and they have a product called Synthetic DOT 3/4 Brake fluid.

I was always led to believe that the only synthetic DOT was silicone DOT 5.

Is the Valvoline product I mention compatible with mineral based DOT 3 and 4?

I have used it for years and it has better cold weather properties than just DOT3 brake fluid. the brake and clutch pedals are more responsive and consistent in the cold than regular DOT3. Multiple cars and very obvious.

Yes, from what I've read here all brake fluid is synthetic. If it's touted on the bottle, it's just a marketing buzzword. DOT 3/4/5.1 are all interchangeable as well (but not DOT5 which is silicone based!), and each has higher minimum wet and dry boiling points than the previous.

Wet boiling point refers to fluid that is 3.7% water by volume.
Code:

Dry boiling point: Wet boiling point:

DOT3: 205 °C (401 °F) 140 °C (284 °F)

DOT4: 230 °C (446 °F) 155 °C (311 °F)

DOT5: 260 °C (500 °F) 180 °C (356 °F)

DOT5.1: 270 °C (518 °F) 190 °C (374 °F)

I run the mentioned Valvoline DOT3/4 brake fluid in my Pathfinder with no problems.

Actually, silicone & glycol fluid can be mixed...no problem, but you lose the benefits of silicone brake fluid.

There is a minor chemical difference between the different grades of polyether glycol brake fluid to give it the various wet boiling temperatures, usually the addition of a borate compound. I don't know about Valvoline's labeling of this brake fluid as DOT3 and DOT4 except for marketing reasons. There are a very few brake systems that are designed for DOT3 and the rubber-like materials cannot tolerate the chemicals in DOT4 fluid. Maybe Valvoline found a way around this???

As described above, there is no natural brake fluid and all are synthetic. Putting "synthetic" on the label is just marketing hype.

Whatever happened to Valvoline's SynPower Dot 4 synthetic? I've 'heard' of it but never used it.
confused.gif
confused2.gif

Same as their Dot 3/4 synthetic that is regularly available?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Whatever happened to Valvoline's SynPower Dot 4 synthetic? I've 'heard' of it but never used it.
confused.gif
confused2.gif

Same as their Dot 3/4 synthetic that is regularly available?
21.gif

They replaced the gold colored "Synpower" containers with the white "DOT3/DOT4" containers.

Either way, it was made to replace DOT3 or DOT4 fluid.

DOT 3 has a maximum cold(-40c) viscosity of 1500cSt. DOT4 a maximum of 1800cSt. DOT5.1 has a maximum cold viscosity of 900cSt.
All 3, 4, and 5.1 have a minimum hot(100c) viscosity of 1.5cSt
So a brake fluid that meets DOT4 minimum boiling temperatures and is under 1500cSt at -40c can meet both dot3 and dot4 specs.
Likewise a fluid can greatly exceed 5.1 boiling temps but due to viscosity above 900cSt it will only qualify as a DOT3/4 or if between 1500 and 1800 as a straight DOT4. (redline and amsoil racing are in this last category)

The valvoline DOT3/4 spec sheet was not proof read and does not list the product specific boiling points nor any viscosities.

Originally Posted By: capsicum
DOT 3 has a maximum cold(-40c) viscosity of 1500cSt. DOT4 a maximum of 1800cSt. DOT5.1 has a maximum cold viscosity of 900cSt.
All 3, 4, and 5.1 have a minimum hot(100c) viscosity of 1.5cSt
So a brake fluid that meets DOT4 minimum boiling temperatures and is under 1500cSt at -40c can meet both dot3 and dot4 specs.
Likewise a fluid can greatly exceed 5.1 boiling temps but due to viscosity above 900cSt it will only qualify as a DOT3/4 or if between 1500 and 1800 as a straight DOT4. (redline and amsoil racing are in this last category)

The valvoline DOT3/4 spec sheet was not proof read and does not list the product specific boiling points nor any viscosities.

Which DOT, if any, improves ABS?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Which DOT, if any, improves ABS?

DOT 4+

Sometimes called super DOT 4, it has a max viscosity at -40 C of 750 cSt

I used this recently and the lower viscosity is evident at normal temperatures which makes it work well for gravity bleeding.

The cars in my signature spec a DOT 4 LV fluid. I've seen it at Pep Boys and Orilley's. Many auto makers are now specifying the use of a DOT 4 brake fluid such as Ford. Ford also makes a DOT 4 LV brake fluid.

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that, legally, there is no such thing as "super" DOT 4 or "LV" DOT 4. Legally, they are just marketing terms. FMVSS 116 does not define "super" or "low viscosity" (just a maximum one).

That said, the LV fluids are still worth buying, especially if you have ABS
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's worth mentioning that, legally, there is no such thing as "super" DOT 4 or "LV" DOT 4. Legally, they are just marketing terms. FMVSS 116 does not define "super" or "low viscosity" (just a maximum one).

That said, the LV fluids are still worth buying, especially if you have ABS
smile.gif

There may not be a North American standard and therefore DOT4+ , Super, LV etc are marketing terms but they are made to meet ISO 4925 class 6 which specifies a maximum viscosity of 750 cSt @ -40 Deg C.

DOT needs to catch up given it's impossible to buy a new car without ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back