2012 Impreza oil filter location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking out the new Subaru Impreza with the new 2.0 engine. It was about time Subaru place the oil filters on top on the engine bay. I like the dish around it also.

$(KGrHqVHJEgE8oY,q)djBPVdIZ8O7Q~~_4.JPG

Does the "dish" drain back to the pan?

I really like the old design, right there on the bottom -- allows for filling the filter entirely with new oil prior to installing.

If its dipstick tube ends at the bottom of the pan then you can change the oil(with a fluid extractor) and filter without getting under the car.

Guarantee that will make a mess when you remove it, "dish" or not.
The old Subaru filter location was just fine, since it was very easy to get to, and the cars always had enough ground clearance that there is no need to lift them for an oil change.

You can't prefill the new filter when it's upside down like that.

When the dish fills up with used oil are you supposed to turkey baster it out?

Maybe if you loosen the oil fill cap when you drain the oil, the filter will empty also or at least 90% of it. Let us hope so. The old position under side was OK by me.

Cool, I'd love to have a filter that easy to access. as for the dish, nice touch and makes for simple clean up with a paper towl/rag.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Maybe if you loosen the oil fill cap when you drain the oil, the filter will empty also or at least 90% of it.

I would use a pocket knife/screw driver to poke a hole in the top. This release the vacuum in the filter and allows to oil to flow through the media down the center tube. In a few mins the filter will be drained.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

Wow. That's what the ADBV is there for. Goodness gracious.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I'm thinking when you loosen the filter some oil will flow back into the block. Even if that dish thing were to fill up, I'm betting some of that oil will go back down the filter mount into the oil passages, if not the oil pan itself.

Originally Posted By: JRed

I'm thinking when you loosen the filter some oil will flow back into the block. Even if that dish thing were to fill up, I'm betting some of that oil will go back down the filter mount into the oil passages, if not the oil pan itself.

What's an ADBV?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Does the "dish" drain back to the pan?

I hope not ... as that would allow anything to drain into the oil pan. Toyota uses the same setup on the Tacoma V6 ... there's a nipple on the bottom where you can install a hose to catch anything that spills into the "dish".

Tip ... during a filter change, punch a hole in the top of the filter when the oil is hot and thin, and let it drain for an hour. There will then be no spillage when the filter is removed.

True ... but you can "pre-soak" the media without making a mess.

Originally Posted By: acceptablename
What's an ADBV?

Anti-Drain Back Valve ... the rubber "flapper" valve in the base of the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: JRed

WHAT? If you prefill a new filter with clean oil turn it upside down to install it. The oil spills out the thread end. ADBV does nothing before the filter is installed.

Nice, but I'm sure dirt and grime will get in that dish and when you take off that filter, the oil in it will simply take that sand and grime with it into the engine.... Sand makes a great lubricant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back