FUel system cleaner @ 10k miles? (ecoboost F-150)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading around about the DI engines and wondering if I shouldn't toss in a bottle of either Techron concentrate or some redline SI-1? 26 gallon tank.

Techron Concentrate or Redline SI-1, which would you prefer if it is indicated?

RedLine may be a bit better and is what I use most of the time but Techron is usually BOGO at either AAP or AZ. Right now it is BOGO at AAP so stock up. That being said low NOACK oil is your best bet to keep DI's clean. Use oils like PU and or Valvoline Synpower.

Originally Posted By: buster
Yes. I use it every 2-5k miles.

I think your on to something. Im starting to use a cleaner on my multiport versa. I tried a penzoil fuel system cleaner that was on sale. I wanted to do a techron routine regularly. But the other stuff you guys mentioned is highly praised as well. I will most likely be able to find the techron easier so i may go for that.

I think OP has to think about oil more than cleaners. Is the motorcraft syn a Low noack oil? I think if i had one of those new fords id use that stuff. Ive seen a few nice UOA's on the ford stuff. And they cant yip about wrong oil when it as a blue oval on it.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: buster
Yes. I use it every 2-5k miles.

I think your on to something. Im starting to use a cleaner on my multiport versa. I tried a penzoil fuel system cleaner that was on sale. I wanted to do a techron routine regularly. But the other stuff you guys mentioned is highly praised as well. I will most likely be able to find the techron easier so i may go for that.

I think OP has to think about oil more than cleaners. Is the motorcraft syn a Low noack oil? I think if i had one of those new fords id use that stuff. Ive seen a few nice UOA's on the ford stuff. And they cant yip about wrong oil when it as a blue oval on it.

So far I've done 3 changes, all with the FL500S filter and MC Synblend 5/30. First was at 3500, then 5000 and now 10k. From 6/11 to present.

I'm wondering if I should run the tank down to about half (13g or so) and put a bottle in then or run it for the whole 26 gallons (or 23 until the low fuel light comes on).

I've wondered if a full can of throttle body cleaner sprayed in the intake with a cold engine right before each oil change would help clean the intake valve in a DI motor.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Fuel system cleaner doesn't do anything to keep intake valves clean in a DI engine.

But it will still clean the piston tops and the injectors.

FWIW, I add 3 ozs. Of Techron per tankful. Seems to work fine for me. I read somewhere that that is approx. How much Chevron uses in their top tier fuel. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Does techron have the ability to survive the combistion process in DI engines? If not, it may be marginally useless. Seems that SI-1 is claimed to have some effect in DI.

I use it mainly to clean the injectors and combustion chambers. I would hope it does not survive the combustion process. That might mess with the O2 sensors and Cat if it did.

Actually the detergent PEA does survive the combustion process and will actually clean the contact surfaces of the O2 sensor and also the catalytic converter, it is a benefit not a problem.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I was more worried about the carrier oil but I'll take your word for the pea... Thanks for the info.

Yeah, the issue with that is that uncombusted equals HC increase, which either means higher HC count in the emissions or higher CC temperature.

The EPA wouldnt be happy if PEA survuved and raised HC count...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back