Oil selection - 2011 Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Toto
This is what I find humorous about this site if the manual specified 0W 30 you would be posting how you decided to use 5W 20 it just makes no sense.

You are wrong, Toto. I would not use XW-20 in an engine that recommends XW-30.

Wally World did not have the M1 AFE 0W-20 in 5 qt jugs. I went w/ the 0W-30. I believe it will be fine for summer use - M1 AFE 0W-20 Viscosity @ 100ºC, 8.7 cSt, M1 AEF 0W-30 Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt 10.9 cSt. A 20 weight oil can go up to 9.5 cSt @ 100ºC.

BTW- I ignore my oil temp gauge.

I just increased the TP on my PAT from F:35/R:35 to F:38/R:37. The weight distribution on a PAT is something like F:53/R:47. I will see how this works. I may end up at 39/36...

72833.png

M1 0W-30 and a NAPA 7060 have been used at 2K, 6K, 12K and soon to 18K. I think that once I am out from under the 36/36 warranty coverage, I will shift to M1 EP in 5W-30 and change at 12K intervals. I need to find a filter that will go 12K.

Originally Posted By: Murman
M1 0W-30 and a NAPA 7060 have been used at 2K, 6K, 12K and soon to 18K. I think that once I am out from under the 36/36 warranty coverage, I will shift to M1 EP in 5W-30 and change at 12K intervals. I need to find a filter that will go 12K.

Murman;

We have been through this on the Patriot forum already( about weights in general )but I will repeat here. Your Patriot is spec'd for 5W20 not a 30 weight. Here in the US anyway. Doesn't matter if the Patriot gets spec'd for 30 weight overseas. You have to run a 5W20 weight here( during warranty ).

Your comment that you will continue to run 0W30 until warranty runs out makes no sense. Seeing as you are already running the wrong oil weight why wait for the warranty to expire before you go to 5W30? If the oil weight ever comes into play for a warranty repair 0W30 will be just as big of a problem as 5W30 will for you. There will be no difference in warranty determination between the 2 weights. 30 weight is 30 weight when a 5W20 is called for. 0W, 5W, 10W 30's do NOT qualify as meeting your warranty requirements.

If warranty is a concern run 5W20 until the warranty is out and then do what you want. Again, 0W30 is not going to satisfy your warrantyy requirements so it makes no sense to say you will use it until warranty is out then go to 5W30. You either follow the requirements or you don't.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Murman

Murman;

We have been through this on the Patriot forum already( about weights in general )but I will repeat here. Your Patriot is spec'd for 5W20 not a 30 weight. Here in the US anyway. Doesn't matter if the Patriot gets spec'd for 30 weight overseas. You have to run a 5W20 weight here( during warranty ).

Your comment that you will continue to run 0W30 until warranty runs out makes no sense. Seeing as you are already running the wrong oil weight why wait for the warranty to expire before you go to 5W30? If the oil weight ever comes into play for a warranty repair 0W30 will be just as big of a problem as 5W30 will for you. There will be no difference in warranty determination between the 2 weights. 30 weight is 30 weight when a 5W20 is called for. 0W, 5W, 10W 30's do NOT qualify as meeting your warranty requirements.

If warranty is a concern run 5W20 until the warranty is out and then do what you want. Again, 0W30 is not going to satisfy your warrantyy requirements so it makes no sense to say you will use it until warranty is out then go to 5W30. You either follow the requirements or you don't.

I was thinking the same thing.

Again this is due to the CAFE laws, everything has a Xw-20 spec. It may void the warranty, but how many times does this happen in the real world?

My car has a 5W-20 spec as well, and still under warranty. However, I am running the Amsoil AZO 0W-30. I would gamble it is far superior to the Motorcraft 5W20 Synblend. It might be a little extreme, but a friend of mine bought the same car (different color) and runs 5W-50 like the GT500.

As a side note, my car has been running much smoother with the AZO.

Originally Posted By: troyh
Again this is due to the CAFE laws, everything has a Xw-20 spec. It may void the warranty, but how many times does this happen in the real world?

A LOT! I have worked dealer service and been involved in it. Also had an engine fail that was replaced under warranty in the family( Sister's car )about 5 years back now and before the mfg would authorize the replacement they checked the oil change history. Very common despite what some here would have you believe. Other members who have worked dealerships and will confirm this as well( ask demarpaint ).

We even have had members on this very site who have posted about how the car mfg, through the dealer, requested proof of proper oil/filter/time frame and mileage before proceeding with repairs. Not long ago a member who did DIY OC's posted how he had to prove proper maintenance done before Toyota would repair the engine in his 4Runner. Based on the mileage and time he owned it Toyota requested proof of 7 proper OC's. Luckily the guy saved his receipts and was able to show Toyota he had done them and used the correct oil and filters. Had he not the repair was not getting done( not without a big fight at the least ).

Car mfg's do care and do check to see that you have followed proper maintenance procedures when an engine failure occurs. Especially these days. It has really been ramped up vs what it was just 5-10 years ago. If you have an internal engine issue, and you did not follow proper OC maintenance as set forth in the owner's manual, expect to be hassled and most likely lose coverage on the repair. It is just not worth it to mess with these requirements during warranty periods. Repairs are too expensive.

5W20 may be used solely for CAFE reasons as you say. However, that does not negate the fact that is the spec'd oil for the vehicle and that is what you have to use to satisfy warranty requirements. 0W30, 5W30, 15W40, whatever are NOT 5W20 as called for by Jeep in the Patriot. Doesn't mean 30 weight will harm anything it just means you are not living up to your responsibilities to preserve that warranty and as a result you are putting it at risk.

Last edited:
5 quarts of 0W-30 M1 AFE and a NAPA Gold 7060 were installed today. The PAT is good for another 6K miles.

I wonder how CAFE/warranty mandated XX-20 oil effects engine longevity?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: troyh

A LOT! I have worked dealer service and been involved in it. Also had an engine fail that was replaced under warranty in the family( Sister's car )about 5 years back now and before the mfg would authorize the replacement they checked the oil change history. Very common despite what some here would have you believe. Other members who have worked dealerships and will confirm this as well( ask demarpaint ).
Doesn't mean 30 weight will harm anything it just means you are not living up to your responsibilities to preserve that warranty and as a result you are putting it at risk.

Well said and 100% correct. Why chance voiding a warranty?

Last edited:
Oil change @ 23,891 (24K) miles. 5 quarts of M1 AFE 0W-30 and a NAPA Gold oil filter. Next oil change is at 30K miles. I will also change the spark plugs and air filter at 30K. The PAT is good for another 6K miles.

Late entry - 11/24/12 - 30,0XX miles - Replaced the spark plugs and air filter. Installed the winter wheel tire set, changed the oil and filter - 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-30 and a NAPA 7060 oil filter.

598344_4098423304493_1449931758_n.jpg

Currently at 34,2XX miles

1347.79 All Time Gallons Consumed
$5,160.16 All Time Total Spent
33,097.4 All Time Total Miles Tracked
24.56 Average MPG over 133 Fuel Ups

Winter wheel/tire set will be pulled a 35K miles. Next oil change will be at 36K miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back