VW CC! What oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys,
I just got used 2010 CC 2.0T. Before I had Passat 1.8T and used only GC 0W30. Tried once PU 5W40, and was not happy with that after GC.
Anyway, I found that 2.0T has fuel in the oil. Dealer of course use 5W40 Edge. After 2000 miles oil has black color and you can smell gasoline.
So my question is which would be best for 2.0T, GC or M1 0W40? or something else?
What would be recommended OCI?

Thanx a lot!

use 502.00 during warranty.

there was a good UOA posted just today on a 2.0T using Rotella T6 5w40 full syn, 10K mile OCI. But it's not 502.00.

Redline 5w40 is another good one.

2.0TFSI puts a lot of gas in the oil, get used to it, use UOA to determine interval.

M1 0w-40 worked great in a friend's GTI 1.8T for 190k or so when he sold it. It is 502, and Id consider running it.

If you can regularly and conveniently get a deal on 502 Valvoline synpower 5w-40, Id consider it, as it can be a bit cheaper.

Once I bought my VW, I asked around here for opinions. And, I researched extensively here and online.

In my opinion, M1 0w40 is the best choice.

But, as long as it is a VW 502 spec'ed oil, your good to go!

I'm surprised you did not like PU 5w-40. I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't had a chance to do UOA on it yet.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Dealer of course use 5W40 Edge. After 2000 miles oil has black color and you can smell gasoline.

As for oil turning black, that doesn't really mean much. And the smell of gasoline will most likely be there, regardless of oil used as fuel dilution is fairly common in these engines, and it doesn't take much for the oil to smell like fuel.

From the readily available off the shelf products, either M1 0w-40 or GC should work just fine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm surprised you did not like PU 5w-40. I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't had a chance to do UOA on it yet.

Dealer of course use 5W40 Edge. After 2000 miles oil has black color and you can smell gasoline.

As for oil turning black, that doesn't really mean much. And the smell of gasoline will most likely be there, regardless of oil used as fuel dilution is fairly common in these engines, and it doesn't take much for the oil to smell like fuel.

From the readily available off the shelf products, either M1 0w-40 or GC should work just fine.

What QP said!

castrol edge spt 5w40 starts off a very dark brown to begin with

if you go to vwvortex... what out for apexxx aka superhans aka audisporta4 aka Audi junkie.... he's been banned here as Audi junkie and has trolled back since

I personally do not use a vw approved oil on my 2.0t.... I use shell rotella t6

something that may help with carbon buildup is a low SAPs oil ....look at 502.00/505.01 oils...

Well, I was running GC in 1.8T, very good. So i decided to give a try to PU 5W40. it was ok, however, in the morning you could hear valvetrain for few sec, which never happened with GC.
Now, knowing BP and their policies I would not be surprised that they changed something wit GC considering that it's HTHS is 2.9.
PU 5W40 might work well in 2.0T, however, need to order on Amazon or I might check some dealer close by.
Probably I will give a try to 0W40 Mobil 1. Was using 5W30 Mobil 1 in Mazda Millenia and was very pleased, so I might give a try in VW.
Personally, I consider Castrol 5W40 junk oil. I am from Europe and I know what they sell there, it is 10 times better 5W40 then here.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised that they changed something wit GC considering that it's HTHS is 2.9.

2.9 is just a minimum API spec for Xw-30 grade, and that's what silly castrol has put on its spec sheet. It is not the actual HTHS of GC.

I would not be surprised that they changed something wit GC considering that it's HTHS is 2.9.

2.9 is just a minimum API spec for Xw-30 grade, and that's what silly castrol has put on its spec sheet. It is not the actual HTHS of GC.

Do you know what is it?

At has to be at least 3.5 cP based on the fact that this is ACEA A3 mandated minimum. Judging by spec sheets of comparable oil in Europe, it is around 3.58 cP.

At has to be at least 3.5 cP based on the fact that this is ACEA A3 mandated minimum. Judging by spec sheets of comparable oil in Europe, it is around 3.58 cP.

Yeah that is true.
However, now European 0W30 is also BMW LL-04 compatible so they changed some stuff for European version.

However, now European 0W30 is also BMW LL-04 compatible so they changed some stuff for European version.

Castrol has so many different 0w-30 varieties in Europe, it's hard to keep track. For example, this Formula SLX LongTec, which for a long time has been believed to be GC is still listed on their website and meets LL-01:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPD...XE-85KQC4_0.pdf

There is also Edge Professional A3 0w-30 which looks similar:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPD...XE-8HMJJJ_0.pdf

It's also possible that the oil that we know as GC is no longer sold in Europe. And as you pointed out, the European Edge 0w-30 is now a mid-SAPs product that meets both gasoline as well as diesel specs such as LL-04 or MB 229.51.

Castrol has so many different 0w-30 varieties in Europe, it's hard to keep track. For example, this Formula SLX LongTec, which for a long time has been believed to be GC is still listed on their website and meets LL-01:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPD...XE-85KQC4_0.pdf

There is also Edge Professional A3 0w-30 which looks similar:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPD...XE-8HMJJJ_0.pdf

It's also possible that the oil that we know as GC is no longer sold in Europe. And as you pointed out, the European Edge 0w-30 is now a mid-SAPs product that meets both gasoline as well as diesel specs such as LL-04 or MB 229.51.

That is true, in Europe you have so many Castrol Full Synth products that becomes confusing sometimes when you want to buy some of them because all are good, unlike here where 5W40 is just simple junk.

unlike here where 5W40 is just simple junk.

Are you saying that Castrol 5w-40 in Europe is better? If so, what makes it better?

I'm from Europe originally, too, and from what I remember, people have been frequently complaining about it there, too.
smile.gif

Are you saying that Castrol 5w-40 in Europe is better? If so, what makes it better?

I'm from Europe originally, too, and from what I remember, people have been frequently complaining about it there, too.
smile.gif

I was running 5W40 in Europe in TDI's, Opel Vectra's and it was very good, not sheering and strange valvetrain noises. Here, dealership put several times 5W40 in my previos Passat and after 4,000 miles I could hear valvetrain.
I think it is much better combo of aditives and base stock oils in european 5W40.

smile.gif

regardless of oil used....you'll be hearing noises.... it' will be from the injectors, similar to an older TDI without the clatter

I was running 5W40 in Europe in TDI's, Opel Vectra's and it was very good, not sheering and strange valvetrain noises. Here, dealership put several times 5W40 in my previos Passat and after 4,000 miles I could hear valvetrain.
I think it is much better combo of aditives and base stock oils in european 5W40.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

smile.gif

regardless of oil used....you'll be hearing noises.... it' will be from the injectors, similar to an older TDI without the clatter

My point is that that was happening only with Castrol Syntec 5W40. GC, PU 5W40 were going up to 8,000 miles, no noise at all.
Also, European castrol 5W40, no issues at all even after 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back