Beck/Arnley is marketing a new SAE 0w/20 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering their coolant actually, since I have a 92 Civic. The Premium Green Concentrate would be helpful.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The following is the MSDS for the Idemitsu made Beck 0W-20 oil:

http://www.beckcatalog.com/BIN/documents/BECKARNLEY/2524001 SMO 0511 Eng MSDS.pdf

You'll notice that the viscosity spec's for the SN oil are indeed different to the SM version:

KV40 44.77cSt
KV100 8.466cSt
VI 169

If the MSDS figures are correct, their are other 0W-20 oils I'd choose over the Idemitsu SN GF-5 0W-20.

Out of what I'd say are some of the more common and shelf available 'SN' 0W-20 oils, what would you chose in what order? Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20, Honda 0W-20, Toyota 0W-20, Mazda 0W-20.

For me its consistent non-rebate prices that sway my decision, a couple weeks ago I took advantage of Oreilly's $5.49/qt for Mobil 1 and bought 6 quarts AFE 0W-20. Walmart around here has 5qt jugs of AFE for $26.48, single quarts at $6.47, I need 6 quarts for the cars I service, so in effect(26.48+6.47)/6 = 5.49/qt plus tax. However, I've found that the Beck-Arnley/Idemitsu 0W-20 is $5.72 on Amazon. If the Beck-Arnley isn't any better than the AFE I'm using right now, I will stick to AFE, but I could save some tax buying via Amazon versus Walmart, just have to wait a couple weeks for it to ship. Going Toyota/Honda around me is hard to do when the dealer wants more ($6+ per quart even on a case quantity) for the oil than I can get AFE for.

Edit: D'oh, just noticed you're in Canada so your options are quite different than ours.

Last edited:
OK, so for me, with NAPA having Mobil 1 at $5.79 per quart on sale, and then Mobil 1 having a $12 rebate on 5 or more quarts, I can get Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 for roughly $4.27 per quart after rebate and sales tax (5.79*6 = 34.74 34.74*1.0825 = 37.61 37.61-12 = 25.06 25.06/6 = 4.27). That's less expensive than this Beck Arnley at $5.72. However, non-rebate, this Beck Arnley would be consistently less expensive if it remains at $5.72 per quart. I might just order it to have a stash on hand; it's been a while since I've bought oil in advance, and I can only see the oil prices going higher, especially for 0W-20.

The Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 SN seems to have slightly better VI and TBN than the Idemitsu/Beck Arnley 0W-20 SN. Though if I knew for sure whether I'd be getting SN or SM Beck Arnley 0W-20, that would sway my decision to the Beck Arnley; I like the VOA that came up on the SM Idemitsu 0W-20.

As far as the Beck Arnley 0W-20 is concerned, like the Subaru 0W-20, if it is the SN GF-5 formulation (and it undoubtedly is by now) it's not that desirable.

When a 20wt oil is specified, my preference ignoring price is as follows starting with my first choice:

Sustina 0W-20
Toyota 0W-20
Mazda, Mitsubuishi, Cdn Honda/Acura (Idemitsu SM) 0W-20
ENEOS 0W-20
RP 0W-20
Honda (CoP) 0W-20
Mobil Special 0W-20
M1 AFE 0W-20
Valvoline 0W-20
Beck Arney, Subaru (Idemitsu SN) 0W-20
Castrol 0W-20
other 0W-20s

As far as the Beck Arnley 0W-20 is concerned, like the Subaru 0W-20, if it is the SN GF-5 formulation (and it undoubtedly is by now) it's not that desirable.

When a 20wt oil is specified, my preference ignoring price is as follows starting with my first choice:

Sustina 0W-20
Toyota 0W-20
ENEOS 0W-20
RP 0W-20
Honda (CoP) 0W-20
Mobil Special 0W-20
M1 AFE 0W-20
Valvoline 0W-20
Castrol 0W-20
other 0W-20s

Interesting you'd choose Mobil Special/Super Syn 0W-20 over Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. I've seen the 0W-20 Mobil Special/Super, but anywhere I've ever seen it, it's more than the Mobil 1 sitting next to it that's on sale!

^How would your list look in a tropical climate...or Miami, FL in the summer.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I'm considering their coolant actually, since I have a 92 Civic. The Premium Green Concentrate would be helpful.

How is it pricewise in comparison to Honda Type II coolant?

I have only used honda coolant in Hondas, since silicates and tap water have been reported to be Hondacides.

whistle.gif

No difference. To an engine, starting on a 100F day is still a cold start.
Now if you asked in Pt Barrow, Alaska in January, M1 AFE 0W-20 would be the first choice due to it's ultra low MRV spec'.

Sustina 0W-20
Toyota 0W-20
ENEOS 0W-20
RP 0W-20
Honda (CoP) 0W-20
Mobil Special 0W-20
M1 AFE 0W-20
Valvoline 0W-20
Castrol 0W-20
other 0W-20s

Awesome. Thanks for the definitive list! Can I ask how far off the list Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 would fall in your opinion? My Wal-mart just began stocking it in 5 qt jugs, and I've been unable to find a reliable and reasonably-priced source for the Toyota stuff.

Thanks!

whistle.gif

No difference. To an engine, starting on a 100F day is still a cold start.
Now if you asked in Pt Barrow, Alaska in January, M1 AFE 0W-20 would be the first choice due to it's ultra low MRV spec'.

Ah, perhaps my thoughts of extreme temperatures aren't sound yet. Is that more of an issue with engine demands from types of service rather than simply: a hot vs cold climate(and I mean extremes, desert tempts vs sub-zero etc)???

...and most cars that can use 20 multi-grade seem to not be the type that even gets a 'bump it up a grade' consideration, but the Honda manuals of the 90s would specify 5w-30/10w-30 in certain ambient temperatures/climates OR 10w-40 in hotter weather.

Why is that?

High ambient temp's doesn't warrant the need for a higher oil grade. High oil temp's is more affected by how a vehicle is being driven. Maintaining WOT for an extended period of time will generate the maximum oil temp's.
If a 20wt oil is specified with no option for a heavier grade, then one can safely assume through engineering that maximum oil temp's are well contained.

^I gotcha on those, it's just that I never understood why I could run 5w-30 in an engine that in other parts of the world think 10w-40 is the 'thinnest' and the manual even agrees to use it over a 30 if temperatures exceed some threshold around or above 100 degrees F as an average. I don't have experience with actual high performance engines, either, mind you. Rather, more service conditions like towing and what not. It's just strange to see Civics getting a wide range of oil grades dependent on ambient temp in a manual, when the same engine can be fed 0w-20 > 15w-40 can be confused/misleading.

Why bump up the viscosity relative to temp if it isn't a need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back