Anybody heard of LEACREE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed on rock auto that this company makes struts and shocks...about 30 percent cheaper. They don't look bad, though I'm betting that they are made in china. Anyone tried/used these?

The look of struts and shocks on the outside doesn't tell how it performs. A quality struts and shocks can lasted 100k miles, a not not good one may not lasted more than 50k miles, I rather spend a little extra for a long lasting struts and shocks.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Yes they are Chinese and are decent parts. Try prime choice if you want a little better for about the same (cheap) price. Most struts only last 5 years. how long you going to keep the car. .

http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/t-warranty.aspx

Well, at least a few years, anyways. With as bad as the potholes are here, I almost think it is not going to make a difference whast brand I put on, since the roads are going to kill them anyways. My new Sensatracs in the rear are already starting to wear pretty bad, and they have only been on since last august.

I figure if I can get 2-3 years out of them, I'd be happy. I plan on upgrading her car by the end of the year, so this car (cavalier) will get regulated to beater status anyways.

I can still buy Sensatracs for the front, but now I'm wondering if it will be worth it.....

Bought a pair 2 months ago and they both have failed! The manufacturer has had "no problems" with this strut... Must be a defect.... That defect is no bearing plate! The strut shaft is only "pressed in w/top locknut"! Rubber and metal don't wear good and nothing is stopping it from shooting through to the hood. Need Pictures? Got them.. Full refund from ebay seller, no problem there. Putting in Monroe brand. Spend The extra $ !!! Do it right or don't do it at all.
mad.gif

Just to give everybody a heads up on Leacree... THEY ARE JUNK!!! I bought all 4 corners for my '97 Camry and from the start they have been noisy. Now almost 9 months later I need to change them. (we will see if Rock Auto is going to stand behind their products they sell and help me out after buying $350 worth of junk!!) The struts and springs seem fine, I kinda like the ride, they are almost like my friends MR2 with KYB GR-2's on it! BUT... The strut mount is trash as the previous poster has said!!! No Bearing, just a cheap piece of plastic bushing! I may try and just replace the mounts and bearings but even through Rock Auto that is another $100 when at that price (then $450 invested) I could have gotten the KYB's!

That sucks I just ordered all 4 for my wife 02 solara I guess I should of did some research.

Stay away from LeaCree, they are literally junk! more junk than the subjectively hated Gabriel Struts (note: not Gabriel shocks, for I luv them a lot), etc.

They sell garbage across the ocean to make quick money. They do not have the quality even to meet our bare-minimum expectations, period.

I'd rather throw my hard-earned money into the ocean than buying these garbage (LeaCree).

Q.

JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK!

Originally Posted By: chad8
Yes they are Chinese and are decent parts. Try prime choice if you want a little better for about the same (cheap) price. Most struts only last 5 years. how long you going to keep the car. .

http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/t-warranty.aspx

Has anybody had many experiences with Prime Choice struts?

A good warranty is nice, but how long will the unit last?

It would be nice if Monroe or KYB would hurry up and built a quick strut for dad's Pontiac G6.

LOL! So many cheepo junks out there.....

also: the warranty is pretty much useless esp. for struts: even if you are a competent DIYers and capable of performing RE and RE with strut spring compressors, etc. taking it out for warranty exchange, the time involved (downtime), and then there's the additional cost of sending your vehicle through a 4-wheel alignment afterwards, etc.

At the end: warranty on struts means nothing if the struts are of inferior quality. Similar to t-belts or t-belt idler tensioner pulley: rather doing it right or not doing at all, for the cost of RE-n-RE would far outweigh the savings by going cheep.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

At the end: warranty on struts means nothing if the struts are of inferior quality. Similar to t-belts or t-belt idler tensioner pulley: rather doing it right or not doing at all, for the cost of RE-n-RE would far outweigh the savings by going cheep.

Q.

True.

Any the company that makes the failed part never pays for stuff that the failed part takes out.

That is why I always tell people to buy premium steering and suspension parts, because nobody pays for the tires destroyed.

Bought a set of these in Aug. of 2011 for my 2000 Camry - r/rear started thumping in Sept. - L/front in Dec., then the rest in Jan. 2012 - checked every other link in suspension - replaced sway bushings - checked wheel bearings - no problems. The thumping led to clunking and finally an expert mechanic told me the spring isolaters were a cheap plastic tape wrapped around the coils instead of a solid rubber piece. Because of the reviews showing they also have junk strut mounts I threw them away and put on a set of Monroe QuickStruts and problem solved. Leacrees have a "lifetime" warranty - but it costs a small fortune to ship them back - and no refunds - replacement only - so you can start all over again!

UPDATE:
My Leacree/RockAuto adventures continue! After several emails to their customer service department and no reply I am still stuck with the noisy Leacree's! So here is my plan... I do enjoy the ride of the Leacree struts! Crazy Right?? They are stiff, firm, and give my '97 Camry a more sporty ride. BTW, I recently went for a ride in a friends Camry that had just been upgraded to the KYB complete assemblies and the ride and cornering are almost the same! So, the issue is the strut mount and bearing assemblies being junk, so I am just going to replace the mounts/bearings and the spring seats and be done!

If you want to save time look at another brand other than Leacree, if you want a KYB like ride with out the KYB price... and don't mind the extra work of replacing the junk parts before you ever put anything on your car then go my route with self rebuilt Leacree's! Just my $0.02!

Last edited:
I put 2 struts on the front of my 1999 Buick Century. They are the Monroe Quick-Struts. They are a complete strut assembly that uses the Sensa-Tracs. The new springs restored the ride hight. The only thing that the new struts changed is that my car doesn't keep bouncing after I hit a bump. The ride is still soft and floaty. So far, the Monroes are really nice.

I forgot to mention that the Monroes are made in the US.

I don't know why people mess around with cheap shocks. Buy Bilstein or Sachs and be done with it.

For anybody even thinking of buying Prime Choice, STAY AWAY! Although I have never tried their struts, all of their parts are cheap chinese knockoffs. What I have bought are brakes, alternators, wheel hubs and they did not last. The hubs were defective from day 1. For the struts, they were sued by Monroe for having copied their Quickstruts, including the labels, markings and even the installation sheet!

Don't put them in just call whoever you ordered them from and tell them the bearing is just plastic and these are not acceptable.
Try Sachs struts on the Camry from Rock, they give a real nice euro style ride in these cars. The quality is close to Bilstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back