Sprint Cup Cars Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
The add packs in off the shelf oil was not formulated with a 750 hp, 9,000 rpm engine, 4 or 5 hour run in mind. Regardless of sponsorship, the NexGen comments are hard to believe.

I agree.
Mineral oil simply can't survive at oil temp's greater than 130C, not to mention the 150C oil temp's that are often seen in NASCAR.
I don't really know what to make of Valvoline's advertising with NextGen. Maybe they're using recycled synthetic in part? Hopefully we can get a question and answer session with them to clarify.

I bet I could find a mineral oil that would survive 266F for 4-5 hours.

I think the only time Roush-Yates uses Valvoline NextGen is in their Nationwide series cars. These engines utilize roller cams and thus don't require a high amount of ZDDP like the solid lifter cams in the Sprint Cup series. They may be getting the oil to survive by using a 15-quart dry sump and an oil cooler. In the Sprint Cup it's synthetics all the way be it Mobil 1 R or Joe Gibbs, etc. Filters used are not off the shelf. They are usually Wix or Fram and they are designed to filter a little bit but flow a lot of oil.

Hendrick motorsports used to use special Quaker State racing oil. There is no way a off the shelf SN/GF5 oil would hold up under that punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back