Kid's Camera, Computer Won't Recognize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. I hope everyone had a good holiday.

My daughter got a Vtech Kidizoom camera and it has been great fun for two days. However, I have connected it to four different computers (Vista, XP, Mac 10.6, Mac 10.3), and none of them will recognize it. There's no driver required--it is supposed to appear like a USB storage device. When I plug it in, the camera comes on and gives a "PC connected" message, but nothing happens on the computer side. It doesn't show in "Computer" either.

I dread calling the more than likely overburdened customer service center. Before I do, I wanted to ask about cables. The camera did not come with a cable, so I'm using a 6-foot extension cable with a mini USB male adapter on the camera end. The camera and the mini adapter have 5 pins, but the cable (standard full-size USB) has only 4. Could that be the cause of my problem?

Thanks.

The wife and I got some kind of kids camera for our son some years ago. I'm not a computer genius but I try to get those things with all the cables and stuff included. As far as your cable,that might be the problem. Maybe someone with more computer knowledge can chime in. If it will not work. Try returning it and getting a different brand.

I read the reviews on Amazon for this and they were very good - no one had your problem. Might try a Windows 7 computer or newer type TV. If no go, exchange at place of purchase - you might just have a lemon or cable compatibility issue.

Last edited:
My daughter has one as well, however it came with a cable. Its been working fine for us with the included cable. We download her camera to a computer that is running vista.

The problem is the lack of a proper cable.

Thanks, guys. I borrowed a dedicated mini USB cable (for an external hard drive) and was able to download the photos.

It's a shame Vtech cheaped out by not including a cable with the latest version of this camera.

You shouldn't need to have any extra drivers to download from your camcorder... it should at the very least recognise it as a camcorder.. I would suspect you have a faulty firewire card, have you used it before? go into the device manager and check for any conflicts in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back